Best flat tire to have on a bicycle... in the garage.

I'm not talking about punctures but tubes separating from stems which is becoming common and developing pinholes when there are no punctures, rim or stem hole roughness, bead wire sticking in and poking the tube or installation punctures.

I just ride a 12 speed road bike a few miles a day and sometimes 13 miles. What would be a good tube brand for the non serious rider. An ounce or more weight would not be an issue for me. I use Panaracer Pasela 37 X 1- 1/4, 700 20 - 28 tires. No problems with them for what I do. No punctures in about a years time on country roads.

I'm not talking about punctures but tubes separating from stems which is becoming common and developing pinholes when there are no punctures, rim or stem hole roughness, bead wire sticking in and poking the tube or installation punctures.

I just ride a 12 speed road bike a few miles a day and sometimes 13 miles. What would be a good tube brand for the non serious rider. An ounce or more weight would not be an issue for me. I use Panaracer Pasela 37 X 1- 1/4, 700 20 - 28 tires. No problems with them for what I do. No punctures in about a years time on country roads.
Probably OEM ones at the bike shop? I have just used kenda's from Canadian Tire but it seems they need air added often, and would pinch flat easily. On my new Rocky mountain ht mtb, I haven't got around to switching the rear to tubeless and I hit the rim so hard on a root that I put a decent flat spot in it, and no pinch flat! I forget the brand of tube it is but when I do the rear tubeless, that tube is going to be the spare I carry.

To avoid flats the tire makes more difference than the tube. I keep Conti Gatorskins on my city bike and they are some of the most flat-resistant tires I have seen. Very robust. As for tubes, I haven't encountered the problems you describe. I run butyl tubes on the city bike. The last set was a 10-pack I bought back in 2015 branded as "Venzo". They've been fine. Avoid butyl tubes marked "high performance" or "lightweight". The latex tubes I use for the road bike are Vittoria Competition.

Conti Gatorskins on my city bike and they are some of the most flat-resistant tires I have seen.
I've used a lot of Gatorskins, until my riding friend told me about Schwabel Durano Plus road tires. My experience is about a flat/month with Gatorskins and no flats with Durano Plus tires in about 10,000 miles of riding.

I've used a lot of Gatorskins, until my riding friend told me about Schwabel Durano Plus road tires. My experience is about a flat/month with Gatorskins and no flats with Durano Plus tires in about 10,000 miles of riding.
I find that the Gatorskins (non-Hardshell) are fairly easy to get on the rim, even when new... which is the main reason why I've kept using them.

Since you've used both... how does the Durano Plus compare when installing them?

I once bought a Gatorskin Hardshell and couldn't get it on the rim. Returned it.

I've had several issues with Schwalbe tires so I don't use them. One issue can be a fluke. At two one starts to wonder. At three it's a trend. At four I never buy that brand again.

Most flat-resistant tyre ever should be the Schwalbe Marathon Plus series.
My Mararathon plus MTB now have over 14000km of city riding without a flat, with plenty of tread left ; my little brother got over 21000km out of a set of Marathon Plus. Downside: they're heavy AF, the most unsupple tyre ever after a wooden cart wheel, and slow, and wet grip is mediocre at best. But for a commuter bike on glass-shard infested roads, highly recommended.

If you don't need a tank of a tyre, the original Marathon might be worth a look. Still vastly above average flat protection, but much lighter (although not light), and much better rolling.

I have no idea how it is called right now - I find the Schwalbe lineup slightly confusing, to be honest.

On a road bike I found Conti GPs to be fairly reliable. I usually get a flat every 4000-5000km or so, but then I mostly try to avoid city streets and if I Notizen that I ran through some questionable debris, I stoppen and inspect my tyres (have pulled out three pieces of glass already this year before they could work themselves through and penetrate the tube).

Gatorskins are better than normal road tires and a bit heavier, but will still flatten if you run over the right object.

I switched to Schwalbe Durno Plus 700x23c tires and have had exactly ZERO puncture flats in over 10,000 miles of riding. They are heavy road tires, but I couldn't care less, I don't race.
I have Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus on my hybrid bike. No puncture in over 6k miles. I chose the E-Plus because it offers better puncture resistance compared to the Marathon Plus and both are heavy tires just the same.

The red one is the E-Plus, the blue on is the Plus

Back