Tool to cut open oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you guys using to cut open oil filters? I would like to buy a tool that cuts the filter. The hammer and chisel is very tedious.

Angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

image_11753.jpg

Originally Posted By: gulian
a hacksaw and a vice will do it.

This is what I use. Purolator cans are and ease, K&N not so much, and you will get metal shavings esp. in the can itself, not so much the media but if I do see metal I cant be sure where it is from. Then again I cut my filters open just to see how they held up mechanically and see if any black stuff is in the pleats.

An actual oil filter cutter like Summitt Racing sells is probably the best.

See if you have something around the hose like a c-clamp and attach a cutting wheel for copper tubing. Then just spin the filter around and start tightening the clamp.

As you can see, many tools and ways to cut open a filter. Depends on what you want to spend and what your purpose is. Some say using a Dremel type tool doesn't work for them because extraneous metal particles end up on the media which may appear as particles from the engine.

The HF exhaust cutter is a reasonably priced option (3" filters. On smaller filters though the guide wheels do not reach the filter so it hits the cross bar and doesn't work smoothly.

The LongAcre Filter cutter seems to be the creme de la creme of oil filter cutters,....if you don't mind spending $55-65. Too rich for my blood to occasionally cut open a filter.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
As you can see, many tools and ways to cut open a filter. Depends on what you want to spend and what your purpose is. Some say using a Dremel type tool doesn't work for them because extraneous metal particles end up on the media which may appear as particles from the engine.

The HF exhaust cutter is a reasonably priced option (3" filters. On smaller filters though the guide wheels do not reach the filter so it hit the cross bar and doesn't work smoothly.

The LongAcre Filter cutter seems to be the creme de la creme of oil filter cutters,....if you don't mind spending $55-65. Too rich for my blood to occasionally cut a filter open.

That sums it up for me right there. That's why I use a rotary tool, I already had it and it cost me something like $4 for 20 cutting wheels. Even the exhaust cutter is about $30 here. Let's face it, this is really for fun. Not many of the autopsies posted show much cause for concern in the way of metal particles.

I used to use a Dremel with the small cutting wheel, but it got expensive. You'd go through one of the wheels seemingly every filter... and it adds up when it comes time to buy them.

I like the Longacre I purchased about a year ago. Only thing I don't like about the Longacre is the cutter wheel rotates on the threaded portion of the screw serving as an axle. Not good engineering practice but not detrimental to function. Replace with an internal wrenching allen head screw with a longer grip available from any hardware store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back