Eneos Sustina 0W20 6,646 8,917 13 FRS

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '86 Mustang SVO gained 5 hp at 6000 rpm switching from the factory Ford Motorcraft fill to Mobil 1. The factory oil had 350 miles on it. Yes I dyno'ed a brand new engine that probably wasn't broken in. 3 pulls, drained then 3 pulls again.

It can be done.

My friends in Germany who are in involved in sedan racing are the ones raving about Millers Oil in endurance racing.

And going from say a 5W-30 dino to the higher VI 5W-30 M1 makes sense that you could gain some power.

In the case of Millers 0W-20, I had to laugh when they claimed the Toyota FF would be lighter since it has about 1,000 miles on it.
The big fact they are overlooking is that the Toyota oil is lighter anyway since it a 214-220 VI vs only 163 for Millers.
Millers is admitting that the lower the viscosity the higher the power (all other factors being equal).
TGMO is designed to maximize fuel economy in so doing more power is released which is what you and I are more interested in.

So TGMO has a clear advantage in terms of viscosity, what's left is the nano particles, higher ZDDP levels, etc of Millers.
Is that making up the difference and then some?
If it's true I'd try the stuff.
The point is they haven't made a scientific case yet and that's a red flag for me.

The higher VI Sustina 0W-20 is even lighter than TGMO and I remember their mentioning the use of nano technology in some of the earlier descriptions of their oil.
Remember Millers is just a small independent blender in the UK. They buy all their base oils and additives from someone else. Nippon Oil is Japan's largest oil company and they have actually developed much of what they use.

But hey, I've got an open mind, I just want to see some real proof.
If you're still going to try Millers let use know what you impressions are.

Caterham
Your statements have forced me to question my reasons for straying from an already excellent, readily available, higher VI motor oil.
Why fix something that is obviously not even close to broken?
The grass may not be greener in the other pasture.
Thank you

I'm wondering if the 08 Scion TC (currently running 5W30 Eneos Sustina)would benefit from 0W20?

Originally Posted By: Tonystewart
Why fix something that is obviously not even close to broken?

I would try the Millers if it leads to less ring/chain wear. If there is some repeatable HP gain then all the better.

Originally Posted By: Tonystewart
Caterham
I'm wondering if the 08 Scion TC (currently running 5W30 Eneos Sustina)would benefit from 0W20?

I believe the 08 Scion TC that uses the same engines (2AZ-FE 2.4L and 2AR-FE 2.5L) as other Toyota models has been back-spec'd for TGMO 0W-20, so yes Sustina 0W-20 would a preferred oil choice.

Regarding Millers Oil. In light of their claim of higher power vs TGMO. If you are still curious and have access to a dyno you could have your FRS tested on the Sustina and then try Millers 0W-20 making note of ambient temp's, relative humidity, barometric pressure, oil temp's and coolant temp's for both tests.
My hunch is that Sustina would come out on top primarily because it's a lighter oil.

The UK GT86 probably uses the same factory fill as the U.S. BRZ/FR-S. Idemitsu 0W-20. A Blackstone FF uoa posted on FT86club.com with 657 miles on the oil shows KV@100 as 6.55.

The FF also has over 800 ppm's of moly. Maybe the FM's in Miller's is just that much better and can produce more hp. Unfortunately, none of us here witnessed the dyno test.
smile.gif
I'm a bit skeptical of the test, but would not make any claims one way or the other that I could not support with my own, or someone else's, data.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back