Eneos Sustina 0W20 6,646 8,917 13 FRS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: tig1
You might want to switch over to M1 0-20.

Why?

For a new Toyota I4, using M1 0-20 will give equal performance IMV, very easy to purchase, and cost probably is less if that is a factor.

It won't give equal performance since it's a heavier oil and massively so on start-up plus it's more shear prone. If one wants to run an oil with greater high temp' protection (I'm not saying it's necessary for street use) than the spec' high VI 0W-20 simply add a pint or two of M1 0W-40. This will give you a higher HTHSV than M1 while still being lighter on start-up.

Massively heavier? Good lord, I can't imagine what adjective you'd use if you were comparing TGMO to a typical 5W-30 oil. M1 0W-20 is more shear-prone than TGMO? Based on what?

I didn't say Sustina is "massively better" than M1 0W-20 but rather that M1 0W-20 is massively heavier at typical start-up temp's.
This due to the it's 56 point higher VI and lower HTHSV.

This is about efficiency and not running an oil heavier than necessary. It's not about engine wear which is more of a function of how any engine is used, a fact often overlooked on BITOG.

My reference to thickening up (mixing) the spec' oil was simply to address you suggestion of running a heavier after market oil which is what M1 AFE 0W-20 is.

This is about efficiency and not running an oil heavier than necessary. It's not about engine wear which is more of a function of how any engine is used, a fact often overlooked on BITOG.

This is a modified FR-S and I highly doubt the OP is concerned very much about efficiency. Being in Southern Florida, he's also probably not too concerned with how thick or thin a 0W-20 is at start-up.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

This is a modified FR-S and I highly doubt the OP is concerned very much about efficiency. Being in Southern Florida, he's also probably not too concerned with how thick or thin a 0W-20 is at start-up.
-Dennis

When you say the car is modified, you're talking about a modified after market ECU I take it? You know something that the OP hasn't mentioned?

Anyway when I talk about efficiency I'm referring generally to not running an oil any heavier than necessary and that applies to grocery getters and track driven cars. I'm running the same Sustina oil (plus a pint of Sustina 0W-50) in my track car that's spec'd for a 5W-50 because I've determined that's the optimum operational viscosity based on oil pressure and maximum oil temp's.

Yes, see my comment above about the ECUtek. I recognize the OP from ft86club.com.

Hopefully he doesn't mind me posting this.

Quote:
May'12 AT Raven, FA20Club EL Header & CAI, Perrin Overpipe, Resonated Catback & Pulley, Nameless Frontpipe, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, ECUTek, Grimmspeed Strut & MC Brace, TRS HID Conversion, Fogs w/EU Stalk, JDM UnderPanels, Rear Diffuser, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4000 T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag Brake Lines, Michelin PSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, Mud Guards, TOMS, GT86

This was the fourth oil change. The next fill is Millers CFS 0W-20 Nanodrive.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: martinq
Is there a VOA on this oil?

Would be great if you could trend this one out (more UOA) and see how well it does. Maybe it'll be good to 10k?

I will have a UOA done at next change

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Its tough to gauge wear in such a new engine but this oil looks good and appeared to hold up just fine. I would go with M1 0w20 because it is more proven and a little cheaper but looks like this stuff can do 8k OCI's.

Amazing how many people from the Subaru forums told me to stay away from Mobil 1

Originally Posted By: The_Captain
Why would you not use TGMO? The 0W20 is an awesome oil. High VI and a great additive package.

What is TGMO?

Originally Posted By: Brenden
I'm going to assume the 575 Zinc is a Blackstone error...

I can't seem to dig up a VOA on this oil to compare either.

It is not an error, that is Eneos additive package

Thanks for posting! Looks ok considering the driving conditions in this direct injected high revving engine, IMO.

Now tell us about your engine mods. Is this about right for the ECUTek?

Increased TQ Limits
Adjusted overall AFR Mixture
Optimized Timing
Optimized Cam Angles
Added 2Step Launch Control
Increased REV Limit
Speed Governor Removed

wink.gif
grin2.gif

If the Si doesn't drop after a couple more oil changes (you've already had a few), it could be from your CAI. Will be very curious to see the next uoa so please post it!

19.gif

-Dennis

Current setup

My Daughter received it for her 16th birthday May 12 2012, Automatic Transmission, Color is Raven, FA20Club Equal Length Header & Cold Air Intake with K&N in the nose, Perrin Overpipe, Resonated Catback & Lightweight Pulley, Nameless Catted & Helmholtz Resonator equiped Frontpipe, Crawford Air Oil Seperator, Cusco Oil to Water Oil Cooler, ECUTek Stage 2 by FA20Club.com, Grimmspeed Strut Tower,Master Cylinder Brace & 86 Oil Cap, The Retrofit Source Morimoto H1 Retro-Quik HID Conversion Kit, Subaru glass Fogs w/European Light Stalk, JDM Full Underbody Panels, Rear Diffuser, Whiteline Rear Crossmember Mount Insert Bushings,Positive Shift Kit Bushing, HVT Camber Plates, Koni Inserts Front/Shocks Rear, Swift BRZ Springs, GTSpec Adjustable Lower Control Arms, SPC Adjustable rear Toearms, DBA 4000 T-Slot Rotors Front/Rear, Ferodo DS2500 brake pads, Vorshlag Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Super Sports in stock size, 5Axis Rear Wing, Raammat insultion, Ensolite insulation, JPM Coachworks Leather Speaker Covers, Kneepads & Parking Brake boot, OEM Audio Plus 400 reference system, Mud Guards F&R, TOMS tail lights, GT86 steering wheel air bag, completely rebadged to Toyota GT86 livery

Last edited:
You might want to switch over to M1 0-20.

Why?

For a new Toyota I4, using M1 0-20 will give equal performance IMV, very easy to purchase, and cost probably is less if that is a factor.

Cost is not a factor

Yes, see my comment above about the ECUtek. I recognize the OP from ft86club.com.

Hopefully he doesn't mind me posting this.

Quote:
May'12 AT Raven, FA20Club EL Header & CAI, Perrin Overpipe, Resonated Catback & Pulley, Nameless Frontpipe, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, ECUTek, Grimmspeed Strut & MC Brace, TRS HID Conversion, Fogs w/EU Stalk, JDM UnderPanels, Rear Diffuser, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4000 T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag Brake Lines, Michelin PSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, Mud Guards, TOMS, GT86

This was the fourth oil change. The next fill is Millers CFS 0W-20 Nanodrive.

-Dennis

Hi Dennis
No problem.
He's absolutely correct.

Nice to see a DI engine that isn't dumping massive amounts of fuel into the oil. Well done Subaru!

Oh, and nice report. For an engine still breaking in I like.

Viscosity is a little low. What's the virgin viscosity on that oil?

Originally Posted By: webfors
Nice to see a DI engine that isn't dumping massive amounts of fuel into the oil. Well done Subaru!

It's hybrid injection so it's maybe half DI

Oh, and nice report. For an engine still breaking in I like.

Viscosity is a little low. What's the virgin viscosity on that oil?

Originally Posted By: brandini

It's hybrid injection so it's maybe half DI

That is correct, but with the FA20club Equal Length Header and the Ecutek tune, I am wondering what will be the fuel qty in the next sample considering the torque dip is gone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back