Chonda 2.5hp engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about getting one of these little "Greyhound" 2.5hp engines from HF:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97964
(it's on sale locally and I have a coupon)

I'm guessing the performance is about the same as the larger Chondas, which seem to have a relatively good reputation. I'm curious though, is this a direct copy of a different engine like the 6.5hp is? I haven't seen a Honda like that. I mean as far as parts go in the future...am I going to find anything that fits? I know it's disposeable, but...

Looks like a neat little hobbie engine for something. I'd grab one if the price was right.

Joel

Originally Posted By: PT1
If you click on the "more from greyhound" link you will see the 6.5HP one for $129.00

There is another 6.5HP for $159.00
Can anybody see what the difference is?

Chondas (third world) engines are getting better and better. Just make sure all the bolts and stuff are tight. Maybe even take them out and put some locktite on them. Dont' freak out when gaskets fail either. Just replace them and move on with your life. Use Honda brand parts if they're a match. Many, many of them are.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
Use Honda brand parts if they're a match. Many, many of them are.

Well, that is the question. This 2.5hp engine is 79cc, it looks like a scaled down version of the 6.5hp. (I'm looking for a smaller engine) But I'm not aware of a Honda equivalent of this engine, am I wrong? The 2.5hp that Honda sells is 50cc. Is this an entirely chinese designed engine?

I can get it for about 80 bucks, obviously I can't expect it to last a million years but I'd hate to have to throw it away because of a simple part that I can't find. Gaskets/bolts I can do...but what about everything else? Does HF even sell chinese parts for these engines?

Originally Posted By: pbm
There is another 6.5HP for $159.00
Can anybody see what the difference is?

One is probably CA rated, the others are 49 state rated. That extra "CA approved" sticker cost a lot.

Do not buy those engines. Is your life worth the risk when a flyweel explodes and takes out your eye? Stop by harbor freight and just look at the quality of the outside of the engine. The inside will be no different. Junk.........

Go ahead and buy one, run it for 5 hours and drain the oil. 90% of the oil will be aluminum casting. Im sure that is real good for the rod & crank surface.

Yep and you know how much of an issue it is with exploding flywheels on 2.5hp engines.
33.gif
I've never heard of it with any OPE engine for that matter.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
Do not buy those engines. Is your life worth the risk when a flyweel explodes and takes out your eye? Stop by harbor freight and just look at the quality of the outside of the engine. The inside will be no different. Junk.........

Go ahead and buy one, run it for 5 hours and drain the oil. 90% of the oil will be aluminum casting. Im sure that is real good for the rod & crank surface.

Obviously you've never used or researched one of these chinese engines before...
smirk2.gif
Just because something is reasonably priced doesn't make it "junk" and certainly doesn't make it deadly. It may not be a high end commercial engine, but I'm sure it can get the job done just fine. (especially for 80 bucks)

After all the research I've done, I haven't seen a single negative comment about the HF Greyhound engines from anybody that actually owns one.

I put valvoline synpower 10w-30 in a chonda 2.5 HP and it leaked like a sieve. Ran good though.

My 2.5hp engine doesn't leak oil, but it is hard to start. I need to figure that out and fix it. I also have the 6.5hp on a snowblower, replacing a Tecumseh Snowking engine. I don't know if the Tecumseh was made in China, but it sure was junk. The go kart crowd are all over the 6.5hp engine, it's a gem. I have the newest version that has the cosmetic changes so it doesn't look like a Honda. The 2.5hp does look like a scaled down version of the 6.5hp. Time will tell, but it looks bulletproof.

Last edited:
I was at HF today and they had that engine for $89.95 what they tagged as (Advertized Price). Hunt up one of those 20% off coupons and get it for $71.96.

I'd love a 1 or 1.5HP version, like the 4-stroke hondas used in weedeaters, tillers, etc.. small, light, efficient. with governor. hybrid electric bicycle, anyone?

I have a predator 79cc sitting in the hobby/man cace shed. it is still in the bpx. i have to still get a few things befpre getting on that project. it is gonna power the a generator head. i will get back with results after the assembly and break-in. i have to get a vacum fuel pump to pull off the 18gallon. boat tank i use..

i need to get some oil my stash out to the shed is niltch to none. i run syn only and ussually 0w20 only for gen setups. i have thousands of hours on 5 and 0w20 oil.

ken

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69

What a load of bull. These engines are actually surprisingly well built, with the exception of gaskets and carbs. I have one on our snowblower and other than a surging issue, it has been working perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back