Williams Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, been watching this site for a long time but firt time poster. I just wanted to report on some Williams (USA made) tools I picked up recently. As a test, I picked up these three ratchets. Be careful, they have both import and USA made Williams.

1\4in. Drive Enclosed Head Ratchet 5-1\4in. (USA Made)
3\8in. Drive Enclosed Head Ratchet 10-3\4in. (USA Made)
1\2in. Drive Enclosed Head Ratchet 15in. Black (USA Made)

If you look up A Tale of Two Ratchets Snapon and Williams, there is a good write up comparing the two ratchets.

I have had the opportunity to use both the 1/4in and 3/8in ratchets and they are truly amazing. Very smooth action and the build quality is awesome. The prices were great as I could get US built tools much cheaper than tools from China.

They have a good selection of other hand tools built by Williams and also tool boxes. Just wanted to let you know the quaility of the USA built Williams.

Not sure I can list the website, but if I can, I will.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Are you affiliated with the website or company in any way?

No, I am in the Air Force. I am just a lover of tools and wanted to share my passion for US built tools.

Originally Posted By: skellyman
Welcome !
Looks nice.

Thanks, I have been looking at this site for a long time. I love tools and oil, so this site is like crack to me.

Originally Posted By: DodgeRamz2007
toolsdelievered.com

Great prices for US built tools with Snap on warranties.

To clarify, Williams is owned by Snap-on, but you generally can't warranty a Williams tool through a Snap-on dealer. You have to take them to a Williams dealer or mail them to Williams.

I would also second the recommendation for Tools Delivered. They're sometimes active on Garage Journal and have good prices.

I don't like the 36 tooth Williams USA made ratchets, which I think is what the OP purchased. They use the 36 tooth mechanism that used to be used in Snap-on ratchets before the Dual 80 mechanism was released. I've owned two of them and they both had tons of back drag, making them a pain to use. Perhaps they would have broken in over time, but I have other better ratchets, so I sold the Williams.

But, I really like the USA-made Williams round head ratchets. I recently bought this one from Tools Delivered. It's the Williams B-53A:
http://www.toolsdelivered.com/Williams-B...het-Drive-Tools

72 teeth. Very little back drag. Overall, I'm very happy for the price. It's the longer version of the B-52a ratchet.

Round%20Head%20Ratchets.jpg

I have a set of Williams 1/2 inch drive sockets, ratchets & breaker bars that were my fathers, they must be at least 45 years old or older. These are US made for sure & look and work as they were new, I use these quite often.

I did purchase the 32 tooth design. I have many ratchets with all different designs. These ratchets have performed flawlessly for me and I have not experienced any back drag as you mentioned. Each person will have different preferences for tools. I do like the B-52A and B-53A ratchets you posted.

Again you are right, you cannot take Williams to Snapon truck, but you do get the warranty quality of Snapon. Send it to Snapon Industries and get the replacements/parts you need.

Great quality for an amazing price.

Last edited:

No, I am in the Air Force. I am just a lover of tools and wanted to share my passion for US built tools.

Thank you for your service!

34.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Thank you for your service!

34.gif

Thank you for your support. We really do appreaciate the American people who support the men and women in the military.

I purchased a set of Williams "ignition" wrenches at work and liked them so much, I treated myself to a set for home:
tmb1_000483.jpg

They're a very nice little set.

1\4in. Drive Enclosed Head Ratchet 5-1\4in. (USA Made) M-52EHA
3\8in. Drive Enclosed Head Ratchet 10-3\4in. (USA Made) B-52EHLA
1\2in. Drive Enclosed Head Ratchet 15in. Black (USA Made) SB-52EHLA

I took the liberty of inserting the part numbers for people to see.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

I don't like the 36 tooth Williams USA made ratchets, which I think is what the OP purchased. They use the 36 tooth mechanism that used to be used in Snap-on ratchets before the Dual 80 mechanism was released. I've owned two of them and they both had tons of back drag, making them a pain to use. Perhaps they would have broken in over time, but I have other better ratchets, so I sold the Williams.

The back drag don't bother me at all. The ratchet has the high sprung tight feel that I like.
I don't ever have to worry about it slipping or self reversing. I like my F936 and FLF936,
they're very precise and inspire a lot of confidence. And if I ever get to the point where
the back drag overcomes the bolt's looseness, I switch to a spin handle anyway.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

The back drag don't bother me at all. The ratchet has the high sprung tight feel that I like.
I don't ever have to worry about it slipping or self reversing. I like my F936 and FLF936,
they're very precise and inspire a lot of confidence. And if I ever get to the point where
21.gif

None of my quality ratchets slip or self-reverse, and none of them have as much drag as the Williams 36 tooth ratchets had.

In most ratchets, resistance to slipping or reversing are not necessarily related to drag. So, more drag does not necessarily equal more resistance to slipping or self-reversing in most ratchets.

I'm glad other people like their 36 tooth Williams ratchets. I had two that were new and were not purchased at the same time. They both had so much back drag that I used them a couple times and sold them, since I never wanted to use them.

Again, the round head USA-made Williams ratchets have not exhibited this back drag problem, in my experience. Neither did the 60-tooth Taiwanese Williams ratchet I owned.

I had two that were new and were not purchased at the same time. They both had so much back drag that I used them a couple times and sold them, since I never wanted to use them.

Did you pull the cover and try lubing them?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

21.gif

All my ratchets are 36 tooth, i don't mind them a bit in fact i prefer them.
I do have some fine tooth ones from Hazet, Stalhwille and Wera but i only use them when i need them.
I only changed my old Hazets out because they introduced the new quick release versions. I never had to put a kit in any of the 36 tooth units even after 35 years of daily un pampered use.

I liked the old Snap On 36 tooth ratchets a lot, i wish they offered the Williams with quick release, i would buy them in a heartbeat. No quick release = deal breaker for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back