What WINTER tires and wheels for Sub WRX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes another one of THOSE questions.
grin2.gif

Even with AWD, I'm buying good winter wheels and tires for my new car. What size? What tire? What wheels? I'm not doing the Tire Rack thing until I read what you guys have to say.

I have run Toyo Snow Proxie on my Turbo 2002 to 2006 and non Turbo 2006 to 2013.

Great results but retiring them due to age and one tyre failing in Febrary at 10 years old.

Using 215 45 17 on 7" wide standard WRX alloys.

Changed them a bit early this year and got caught out with standard tyres on ice the the end of February. The summer tyres were not good on the ice.

Just about to order a new set for this winter

eddie

Last edited:
I'm a firm believer that Nokian makes the best winter tires out there.

General just released a new Altimax Arctic that is a copy of the Nokian Hakka(however you spell it ...).

Originally Posted By: Miller88

General just released a new Altimax Arctic that is a copy of the Nokian Hakka(however you spell it ...).

Do you have a link or name to this new tire? I can't find anything on it.

The current Altimax Artic is a rebranded Gislaved Nord Frost 3. Seems odd they would copy a Nokian tire when Continental has other, newer tires in- house to rebrand.

Originally Posted By: E365
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Do you have a link or name to this new tire? I can't find anything on it.

The current Altimax Artic is a rebranded Gislaved Nord Frost 3. Seems odd they would copy a Nokian tire when Continental has other, newer tires in- house to rebrand.

Just looked it's the General atimax arctic ... apparently it was newly released in my size (185 65 - 15) but has been around for a while.

For better cost rim/tires and winter traction downsize to 215/55/16. I believe even the oldest WRX rims fit used. Cross check on NASIOC.com.

Next do not waste your money on pure winter tires: eg Michelin X-Ice or Blizzack WS-. They ruin the driving experience of a performance car on dry/wet roads. Use high performance winter tires and you will much
smile.gif
! I had a set of WS-70's and hated them, ruined the car except in deep snow. Bridgestone let me return them for their performance winter tires LM-60 and I loved those.

I own the "grown" up version of the WRX, 2005 Legacy GT wagon 5mt. With that car I was stuck with 17" rims which made it pricey. I am 99% sure I saw WRX's using old 16" WRX rims.

I have Dunlop winter tires on my 07' WRX which is mothballed until winter.
Make sure you buy XL or extra load tires. They will have 2 ply sidewalls while most standard load winter tires have a single ply and make your WRX feel horrific to drive.

I really like my Dunlops which have worked great for me.
If you drive your WRX with spirit on clear, 20 degree roads, soft sidewall General Atimax Artics are the last thing you want on an all-season sports sedan.

Last edited:
What do you want from your winter tires?
Put in order of importance:
ice, snow, dry, wet, noise.

Krzys

Totally valuable information in this thread. You guys are great. See, I didn't even think about sidewalls for snows.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
What do you want from your winter tires?
Put in order of importance:
ice, snow, dry, wet, noise.

Krzys

Wet ice on hills, dry ice on hills, ice on hills, up hills on ice, down hills on ice, freezing rain on hills, frozen sleet on hills, rain on hills that freezes overnight, mist on ice that freezes overnight, melted ice that freezes and thaws and freezes again in 6-8 hours.

I usually find driving on snow quite easy.

I find front wheel drive on icy uphills terrible. Down hills OK. Absolutely I loved my crusty old RWD 245Ti Volvo with studded tires and some weight in the back on ice, even on hills. Not sure why people are so down on RWD on ice. And maybe I should just buy a beater 240!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
And maybe I should just buy a beater 240!

For what you're going to spend on a new set of studded tires on their own rims, you might just be able to buy a beater.
smile.gif

But a WRX with studded tires would be unstoppable.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
..............Wet ice on hills, dry ice on hills, ice on hills, up hills on ice, down hills on ice, freezing rain on hills, frozen sleet on hills, rain on hills that freezes overnight, mist on ice that freezes overnight, melted ice that freezes and thaws and freezes again in 6-8 hours....................

Since ice traction is your first, second, and third priority, forget about performance winters. Get a studded tire like the Nokian Hakka 7. If you don't like the noise of a studded tire, consider the Blizzak WS70, Nokian Hakka R2, or Michelin Xi3. For your climate, a premium studded tire will provide the best ice traction in all conditions.

If you want warm ice traction (+20F-+32F) studded tires are much better than studless.
at colder temps 10F and below its about the same IIRC.

if you are allowed studded tires some nokian HAKKA 7's
are fairly un-obnoxious for studded... much better than old school studded tires such as cooper wintermaster+

Value tire would be studded altimax arctic.

top of the line ice studless would be
nokian R2, michelin xice xi3, yoko ig30

other options
conti EWC, blizzack ws-70,

step down
dunlop grapic-3, various performance winter tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krzyss
Ice here, ice there, ice everywhere.
Are studded tires legal where you live and drive?

Krzys

seattle has crazy ice. Just youtube.. for your enjoyment.

NE ohio gets alot of everything, ice snow, lake effect snow, cold, really cold, warm.. whatever.

seattle gets ALOT of ice. some snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back