Fram TG 3980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a look inside a couple of TG 3980 filters. One on the left was in service for 2 seasons on our 4.3 liter Chevrolet powered boat. The one on the right came out of our 4.3 liter Blazer with 5k miles on the OCI. ADBVs on both are in great condition. I never heard any start-up noise on either engine. I see good impressions on the fiber end caps of the support spring. Looks like it sealed well to me. I found it interesting the older filter from the boat has a metal seam while the newer one looks glued together. No complaints here, just wanted to share some photos.

Great thanks for posting. I've never seen a TG3980 cut open. They look good and Tough Guards are very, very good filters one of my favorites and I've had good start up experiences with them as well when many other big name players failed.

The orange can PH3980 is my preferred filter for our old Chevy 3.1 they actually look good cut open these look even better.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

Looks good and you covered the bases mentioning the fiber caps covering/sealing the center tube ends here. Good to see that.

The seam pleat difference is as you say, interesting.

Thanks for the pics.

Thanks for the kind words. Tough Guards have served me well for many years based on the age of my vehicles, their availability, and good prices. This is my first experience with cutting canisters open. I'm learning.

I think most members on BITOG are changing their opinions on FRAM filters. I know I had many uninformed, preconceived notions myself. i would not at all hesitate to use a Fram filter today. Thanks for the very nice pics!

Thanks for the pics, both look like they did a great job and held up well. I just bought a Fram Ultra to go on my Accord a couple OCI down the road. I had given up on the Ultra due to some start up rattle it caused on my Accord before, but im giving it another shot.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Thanks for the pics, both look like they did a great job and held up well. I just bought a Fram Ultra to go on my Accord a couple OCI down the road. I had given up on the Ultra due to some start up rattle it caused on my Accord before, but im giving it another shot.

Try a Tough Guard. I've had rattle with Extended Guards (forerunner of the Ultra very similar design) but Tough Guards have been stellar.

They filter as well as an Ultra too, 99% and 3 bucks less. For your short OCI's gregk24 a better buy.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Try a Tough Guard. I've had rattle with Extended Guards (forerunner of the Ultra very similar design) but Tough Guards have been stellar.

They filter as well as an Ultra too, 99% and 3 bucks less. For your short OCI's gregk24 a better buy.

Well maybe after the Ultra Ill give the TG a try. But I am planning on using the Ultra for two 5K OCI's.

Well maybe after the Ultra Ill give the TG a try. But I am planning on using the Ultra for two 5K OCI's.

That'll work, but even the Tough Guard is rated for 10k by Fram. You could do the same with it and save 3 bucks and I'll wager get better starts in the process.

That'll work, but even the Tough Guard is rated for 10k by Fram. You could do the same with it and save 3 bucks and I'll wager get better starts in the process.

Well its worth a try! The thing is I still have two Honda OEM's and a Fram Ultra on deck...so it might be a while before I get around to the Tough Guard, no doubt a good filter, the only reason I would use the Ultra over the TG is for better oil flow (which everyone says on here is a moot point I know). Main reason I bought a Ultra is because they have a $2 rebate, and when you buy with full syn motor oil. And PP had a $10 rebate too so if they work out and I get money back it was a win win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back