Does anyone have the Lowdown on oversize filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have I been doing the right thing when buying oil filters for my car and purchasing the larger size? I was on one of the referral threads found on this site where this guy sort of scared me. He was talking about the extra capacity vs the flow vs the effect on the bypass valve. What's the deal?

I use oversized filters and have not had any problems. My thinking is, once the filter fills up with oil how can that effect anything. Some people use remote mounted filter which are twice the size of the original and never have any problems. I would say to continue on using them.

Bypass opens at inlet pressure greater than a defined value. Its less likely to open with a bigger filter due to more surface area and more dirt holding ability. So this is a good thing. The stock keeper at Wallyworld informed me that I should never use an oversize filter. I asked him where he got that information. He said it was a known fact. Oh well. I thanked him and proceeded to grab 2 over size filters.

If you used a much larger filter that was cantilevered off the engine, there is a remote possibility you could run into an issue with random loads and vibrations. This could cause a crack to propagate from fatigue and fail the mount itself.

I have actually seem this occur in some aerospace propulsion applications w/ secondary components like batteries, so it isn't just theoretical.

In other words, it's not just the extra mass of the larger filter hanging there that is the issue, but what happens when the engine is running and the vehicle is moving. The dynamic rather than the static loading ....

TooSlick,

Man, that was heavy
shocked.gif

I had gotten confused. I would think a larger filter would continue to filter before the bypass opened. THis is good, right? At least Al above would agree.

One guy said a bigger (longer) filter could put your oil closer to a header or something and super heat the oil which would lead to quicker degradation.

TooSlick..I'm not ready to start a debate here
smile.gif
. I suppose with very large filters in industrial applications that might be possible. But for the filters we are talking about it would seem to me to be pretty remote. Still-food for thought. Possibly another reason to go with Mobil or K&N (very thick) filters.

quote:

Originally posted by Gebo:
TooSlick,
One guy said a bigger (longer) filter could put your oil closer to a header or something and super heat the oil which would lead to quicker degradation.

On my '97 Taurus SHO I use the bigger sized oil filter. It does move it close to the exhaust pipe. I made a heat shield for it out of some 18 ga 316 ss and a hose clamp. The shield is set away from the filter about 1/4".

I have used larger then OEM size filters on several cars with no ill effects, however, I have revised my opinion on filters in general. I honestly do not believe they perform a useful function other then catastrophic protection as it is the oil that does all the work. The wear metals that show up in analysis are too small to be captured and most likely have no effect on further engine wear. So if you change your oil under 5000 miles I believe one can use any filter, 5000-10,000 maybe make a difference but I haven't seen any studies to prove longevity with quality filters versus less expensive versus 3000 mile versus 10,000 mile intervals. Just my opinion.

Take a Volvo red block (Fe) 4 - and slap the hugest 3/4"-16 filter you can on the side of the block. Yep - strange vibrations - but it takes marginal engine mounts, etc...

I'm of the bigger is better theory, I suppose the more filter area is good, but I'm sure there are diminishing returns.

The real reason I like a dual filter mount with biggie filters? More oil volume, plain and simple - yes I suppose there are diminishing returns here also, but to take a car from 4.25 qts to 5.75 qts is pretty good purely from the dilution point of view....of course I have no scientific data. 30 each of same cars, 30 with dual remotes and 30 without, same driving same oil......
tongue.gif

Gebo,

I do run the 1 qt, SDF-96 oil filter on my Tacoma, instead of the much smaller SDF-57. But I do worry about it ....

I must say I've done the same thing on my Audi for the past 5-6 years, so I think the factor of safety in the design of these filter mounts is pretty high.

It did get Al thinking though ...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back