New Guy Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUN

Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum, I have a 2003 GMC Sierra (5.3) with 135,000 miles and 2005 Honda Accord with 97,000 miles. Both rigs are paid off and frankly I want to continue driving them until at least 200K miles (I don't miss vehicle payments). I grew up on a farm and my Dad swore by using Schaffers lubricants in everything. What are your recommendations for oil in these 2 vehicles to reach 200K miles? I would say its about 50/50 city driving and highway miles. Do you recommend Schaffers? AMSOIL? Or continue to use regular Valvoline that I've been using for years?

Thanks.

Valvoline has got you this far, if you like the way it's working for you why change. If you want a change just switch to valvoline maxlife.

Neither burns any oil, I change my oil every 5K miles and would like to keep that interval. Mostly looking at longetivity for both engines.

I have found that SOPUS synthetics are of exceptional quality. They run very quiet in our vehicles and do an excellent job at cleaning things up, then keeping them clean. For your Chevy 5.3 I would use Quaker State Ultimate Durability or Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. For the Honda Accord, assuming its the 2.4 like I have, I have found Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 runs quieter than anything else its had. Honda has back spec'd the 2.4 for 0w20, so no worries there. I plan to run PP 0w20 year round for the rest of its life. If the 0w20 bothers you, PP 5w20 is also an excellent choice.

Originally Posted By: LUN
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum, I have a 2003 GMC Sierra (5.3) with 135,000 miles and 2005 Honda Accord with 97,000 miles. Both rigs are paid off and frankly I want to continue driving them until at least 200K miles (I don't miss vehicle payments). I grew up on a farm and my Dad swore by using Schaffers lubricants in everything. What are your recommendations for oil in these 2 vehicles to reach 200K miles? I would say its about 50/50 city driving and highway miles. Do you recommend Schaffers? AMSOIL? Or continue to use regular Valvoline that I've been using for years?

Thanks.

Schaeffers is excellent oil no doubt but if Valvoline has got you this far, with no issues, why would you want to swap? With the mileage on them they are prime candidates for Valvoline Maxlife high mileage oil which is one of the best out there.

Why change at this stage of the game? Continue exactly as you've been doing in the past. It seems a few of us are in agreement with that recommendation.

Neither burns any oil, I change my oil every 5K miles and would like to keep that interval. Mostly looking at longetivity for both engines.

as recommended by many posts above, why change? for your intended OCI and longevity of vehicles, I'd go with Valvoline Maxlife (red bottle). Valvoline is very good lube, you know.

Just about any oil you buy will do the job. Use the manufacturer's recommended grade, and change it once in awhile. Anymore than this is feel good and advertising hype. Check the level once in awhile

Originally Posted By: andyd
Just about any oil you buy will do the job. Use the manufacturer's recommended grade, and change it once in awhile. Anymore than this is feel good and advertising hype. Check the level once in awhile

LOL, bluntly put but so true.

OP: Welcome to BITOG first off, secondly with 5k intervals and types of vehicles you have there is absolutely no need to change brands. Shaeffers or Amsoil will NOT keep your engines running longer than what you are using. They would be a better oil if you want to extend your OCI's to 10k maybe. I agree to stick with Valvoline and I personally would run Maxlife myself, but good 'ol VWB will be fine too.

If either of these vehicles fails to reach 200K, it won't be because of the oil you've used.
If you have no problems with Valvoline on 5K drains, just continue with it.
There may be better oils, but there's no point in trying to fix something that isn't broken.
If you want Valvoline's best, go with Maxlife Nextgen, although I doubt that it really matters.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

If you want Valvoline's best, go with Maxlife Nextgen

Me thinks Valvoline's Best would be full synthetic Maxlife (silver bottle).
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Eosyn
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

If you want Valvoline's best, go with Maxlife Nextgen

Me thinks Valvoline's Best would be full synthetic Maxlife (silver bottle).
grin.gif

If you compare the specs as well as the few UOAs of both, not really.

Hi LUN, we suggest for your 2003 GMC Sierra (5.3) with 135,000 miles our Pennzoil 5W-30 High Mileage Motor Oil. We suggest our Pennzoil 5W-20 High Mileage Motor Oil for your 2005 Honda Accord with 97,000 miles. – The Pennzoil Team

Thanks.

LUN,

I don't know anything about the brand "Schaeffer" but if you doing fine/happy using Valvoline then why not just use there synthetic version? If I were you I'd visit my local parts store and look at the variety they sell. Personally I'm Mobil 1 fan my self but I also know Valvoline products has been around since I was much younger.

Durango

Just keep what you are doing. If you want to save a few bucks in the process buy what oil is on sale in the grade that your manufacturer recoomends.

200,000 miles is the new 100,000. If any modern engine fails to reach 200,000 miles, it is IMHO severely flawed.

That said, 300,000 miles is the new 200,000. If properly taken care of, both those engines should get you to 300k and beyond (if the rest of the vehicles aren't falling apart by then). IMHO, to do THAT, it would help to use a good quality engine oil. I'm partial to synthetic oils with high zinc and some moly.

I had to read up on Schaeffer's, I had heard of them but just don't see it sold around me.

The truth is- any API rated oil, with the certifications and viscosity your vehicles' manuals call for, will get you to 200K and beyond. If you have a great relationship with your Dad's Schaeffer's dealer and/or can get it for less than Valvoline, it may be worth the switch.

Here at BITOG folks like to pick nits about oil preferences, some go for very long Oil Change Intervals (OCI), have turbos, or problem engines where particular oil choices might make a difference. For the other 99.9% of us, using the recommended grade of API certified oil changed regularly is all it takes.

Valvoline at that distance is great; I got the same UOA with VWB as I did with Amsoil at 5000 miles, this was 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back