2014 jetta 1.8t oil recommendations

Yes, I know everyone is tired of these kind of questions, I'm sorry.

I have a 2014 Jetta 1.8t with 125kish miles.

Consumes roughly half quart of oil every 3k miles (mostly normal per VW specs.... because why wouldn't 1/2 quart of oil per 600 miles be acceptable?! If you follow a 10k pm interval as recommended by the manufacturer you'd be putting in an additional 8qts of oil between oil changes) it's not leaking... definitely burning. On engine #2 due to consumption issues.

Because I like to needlessly spend money and change things that probably don't need to be changed, I've been looking at engine oils.

I currently use pennzoil platinum euro (as it meets VW 502.00 standards) but it's getting more expensive (used to be $40 for 6 qts, now like $65, yes I know everything is more expensive yadda yadda yadda) and harder to find (I CANNOT find a 5qt jug). The question is, do I continue to use this oil? Change to something else? Where on the spectrum of oil "goodness" does this oil fall? Is it towards the "might as well be using tap water" end, or more towards the "liquid gold, keep using it there's nothing better" end?

I saw liquimoly has an oil that is florescent to make finding leaks (it's a VW with 125k miles....it's GOING TO leak) easier, is liquimoly even good? Should I look at an oil that claims to reduce consumption? Or is that just marketing speak? I know more doesn't always equal better....but at the same time does cheaper equal worse? As usual, I'd like to not spend my entire savings on oil. And a filter (also would accept recommendations on those too).

I've looked around BITOG before posting and 50% it's just get any 502.00 oil and 25% it's you're the worst person for asking you should be born with this knowledge and 25% some random ass oil.

TLDR: oil recommendations for a 2014 Jetta with 125k miles that consumes oil. Maybe filter recommendations?

Thanks
Ben

I am fully prepared for the usual forum shenanigans

Shenanigans?

Yes use an oil with the proper approval. But burning oil isn’t really going to be corrected by a different brand. That’s not a huge problem.

Several 502 00 oils at Walmart or Walmart.com that are pretty inexpensive.

Last edited:
Has the PCV valve been changed? I change mine proactively around 70k miles on any VW engine. If it’s going bad it can cause oil consumption and take out the rear main seal and lead to a leak.
As for oil 0w40 Castrol or Mobil1 will do fine in that engine.

1qt in 6k is fine. I'd use any 0/5w-40 from walmart during the winter and during the summer 15w-40 if you want. Will burn less and costs less, might not do it in Chicago winters.

Has the PCV valve been changed? I change mine proactively around 70k miles on any VW engine. If it’s going bad it can cause oil consumption and take out the rear main seal and lead to a leak.
As for oil 0w40 Castrol or Mobil1 will do fine in that engine.
Yes it has been changed.
And what I'm getting from this thread is it doesn't actually matter what oil is used

VW 504.00 should be backwards compatible with 502.00 if you have trouble finding oil at a good price.
ACEA C3 & Porsche C30 are close to that spec.

So the obligatory default answer in this case is M1 0W40 ESP 👀

m1_esp_0w-40_1qt_front_cleanlabel_11-13-17.jpg

🍿

Last edited:
I would use the cheapest oil you can find that meets the VW502 spec. That's what I did for a long time with my '00 GTI 1.8T. It also burned oil but was still running well at 364k miles when I donated it.

I have 2015 Jetta 1.8 TSI. It burns ~1QT every 1,000 miles. Not a serious issue for me since it takes 5.7 quarts of oil so I always buy 2 jugs for a change and use left oil for top ups. Recently found that it burns oil quicker when oil is above the middle point of dip stick so I’m just adding a half quart if I see the oil level warning and that brings oil level right at the middle point. I’m thinking of replace PCV soon to see if that’s the issue.

By the way, QS 5W-40 at Walmart will be the cheapest option to find and it’s very similar to PP euro as I’ve heard. I prefer Mobil 1 0w-40 and with the rebate the price is almost same as QS. For the filter, dealerships use MANN HU 6013 Z in a VW labeled box and I could find it in my local AAP at around $11. Dealership sells it for $17.

The fact that several different weights (pretty sure none of them are manufacturer spec) and different brands kinda tells me it doesn't matter
Because the VW approval isn't based on "weight" it is based on a minimum HT/HS which may result in different grades.

You really assume a lot.

Nevertheless the OP's engine is consuming 1 quart in 6000 miles.
@obecny - my friend who is VW mechanic said they use the BG EPR to help clean the stuff out on the oil burners. I think it was a VW TSB for it. He said it helps a lot and then use a correct spec oil (since VW has like 6 different ones) and try to do more frequently than OLM.

I think my Accord does about 1qt every 6000 miles. Viscosity goes out a bit, some redline shifts, not a bad amount.

My FIL's '16 Renegade was about 1qt every 1000 after their software update. It at Jeep waiting for a new motor with 82,700 on the ODO. Extended warranty to 85k and they did most of the oil changes. (y)

Back