antique license plates vs normal one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of getting antique license plates for my 2 25+ year cars. I know you register it only one and it last for ever . But I heard you can't drive it out state or drive too far or at night . I like to take my car out state some time.

Lots of people cheat the system and use these on DDs... Lots of people cheat with classic insurance too. Ask yourself if you fit the profile, and then if you want to cheat the system or not, if you dont fit.

I dont use my 81 MB for much of anything, but given that Id like to use it with more flexibility, I dont get classic (QQ) plates.

The restrictions on the plate are on a state by state basis. Typically it could work if you only drive them on the weekends. Check with your DMV.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Lots of people cheat the system and use these on DDs... Lots of people cheat with classic insurance too. Ask yourself if you fit the profile, and then if you want to cheat the system or not, if you dont fit.

I dont use my 81 MB for much of anything, but given that Id like to use it with more flexibility, I dont get classic (QQ) plates.

Nah I don't drive these car every day . Only concern is I want drive it back to Mississippi on weekend ...

Just call my local DMV . They say as long I'm not hauling anything with it . I be fine

Last edited:
People love to road trip to car cruises in their classics, so I would really be surprised if there was a restriction of crossing state lines.

I do know the car has to be in a certain condition to qualify, at least in PA. You can't just register your old hooptie as a classic to get out of safety inspections and lower your insurance premiums.

Texas has unique license plate laws, with 3 types of plate. (per txlicenseplates.com )
1. Antique, restricted use
2. Classic, min 25 year old car, no restrictions.
3. Original old Texas plates with a year of car, can be bought used and re-registered to a different car of the same year, restricted use for new registration.

When I get antique plates I have to sign an affadavit of use. I basically just can't use a car every single day.

Under state reciprocity agreements, I could see a state that doesn't issue antique plates having a problem letting in cars from one that does. But most states have antique plates.

If you have the same insurance company for all your cars and the VINs show up on your cards, IMO it would prove to a cop that you have more than one hoopty to your name.

This is probably one of those things where if you get pulled over and keep your mouth shut, there's no proof you're not going to a parade or club event etc.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I have antique plates on my 92 Accord that I drive to work almost every day. I'm not "cheating the system" because CT has NO restrictions whatsoever on antique plates. Registration also costs the same as a regular plate.

Other states have restrictions on how you can use your car, but the trade-off is you get benefits like cheaper registration, exempt from emissions and/or safety inspections, etc. Like I said, CT has no restrictions on how you use your car, but again there’s a tradeoff. The trade-off is we get basically no benefits like cheaper registration; you still have emissions tests, etc. The only benefit you get with the antique plates is cheaper property tax (the state appraises your car at $500 maximum).

Bottom line is, every state has their own rules/laws regarding antique plates. Find out the laws in YOUR particular state. The laws in other states are completely irrelevant.

Oh, and I'm not "cheating the system" with classic car insurance, either. I have a regular Geico liability-only policy on my car.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
The restrictions on the plate are on a state by state basis. Typically it could work if you only drive them on the weekends. Check with your DMV.
Some states hhave a two tier system, with one plate for Model T tyoe cars which cannot be made to pass inspections and another for 25 year old "antiques" which can pass current safety inspections -- 4 wheel hydralic brakes, safety glass, real headlights ect. The older cars get plates good only for limited use, parades, shows, ect. The "later" plates are mostly for vanity purposes. I've got a 25 year old BMW motorbike with one.

Originally Posted By: carwreck
Texas has unique license plate laws, with 3 types of plate. (per txlicenseplates.com )
1. Antique, restricted use
2. Classic, min 25 year old car, no restrictions.
3. Original old Texas plates with a year of car, can be bought used and re-registered to a different car of the same year, restricted use for new registration.

I guess mine is consider option 2 classic
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Some states hhave a two tier system, with one plate for Model T tyoe cars which cannot be made to pass inspections and another for 25 year old "antiques" which can pass current safety inspections -- 4 wheel hydralic brakes, safety glass, real headlights ect. The older cars get plates good only for limited use, parades, shows, ect. The "later" plates are mostly for vanity purposes. I've got a 25 year old BMW motorbike with one.

Yea 2 my antique car not require for inspect . Smog ....

Nice. I really like the option to put an old plate back into service. They do this with the old small black porcelain Delaware plates.

I've been considering making some numbers used in the day as "custom" and running old NJ black (50s) and blue (80s) plates on my cars.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
This is probably one of those things where if you get pulled over and keep your mouth shut, there's no proof you're not going to a parade or club event etc.

Illinois' antique plates have long had a restriction which limited use only to certain months, and only to/from shows or exhibitions (or the shop), but it was generally understood that since in the summer months there's a cruise night pretty much every night of the week most people drove their cars to work with the plates anyway. I've never heard of anyone having any trouble.

Now they offer an new "expanded" antique plate, which removes the show/exhibition restriction (and expands the months of use also). Its probably ideal for what I'd want a special plate for.

I had historic plates on my Peterbilt. Our law says I could only drive it in Parades or to and from events such as a car show.

I had more than 1 cop tell me that I had to trailer it to the parade then I could drive in the parade then trailer it back home. The DMV makes no mention of this.

Florida has antique plates for cars over 25 years old, but I never read any law that restricted the driving of the car. Often I see them on nasty old cars from the 1970s.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I had historic plates on my Peterbilt. Our law says I could only drive it in Parades or to and from events such as a car show.

I had more than 1 cop tell me that I had to trailer it to the parade then I could drive in the parade then trailer it back home. The DMV makes no mention of this.

That doesn't make sense...if you wanted to put an old tractor in the parade, would it need historic car plates? May as well just not register it and throw a triangle on the back if all you can do is drive it IN the parade!

I'm not sure what restrictions were placed on vintage plates in NC, but cars over 35 years old were exempt from emissions and safety inspections regardless.

I don't know that AL even has vintage plates...we have no inspections of any kind for any vehicle. You could register and drive a Model T like anything else.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

First I have heard of vehicles being restricted due to age and not being with current safety laws.

My understanding was that any vehicle could be driven anywhere with the equipment as built so long as it was in compliance with the laws in the year of manufacture.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

that such a bull, if something like that I rather just get a regular tag so you can do what ever with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back