Mobile licence plate reader

If you are driving around most any large city , your plates are being read by fixed position cameras .
That was largely my point, whether it's a tow truck, parking authority, police, highway cam, whatever. I know they are installed in my city already for largely this purpose.

What concerns me the most is this: How does a repo company know your license plate # ? I have never given a lender a license plate #. What happened is the state licensing agency sells our data contrary to what they claim and then "big data" connects the dots and narrows down matches to a scary point.

That said, it doesn't affect me but it bothers me that our data is sold by the gov't.

I remember when the local police started using these cameras. They had (1) sole purpose (at that time) and it was for ID'ing and/or locating stolen vehicles. It quickly progressed....
I have no idea what year but it may have been the episode with Taylor Swift. When I first saw those readers on CSI, I thought it was sci fi. Remember back then even to have a vehicle connected to the web was new. It was “strange” that a bus could offer wifi to 47 passengers. Today it’s expected: why I heard there are even doorbells that look at people and record them

What concerns me the most is this: How does a repo company know your license plate # ? I have never given a lender a license plate #. What happened is the state licensing agency sells our data contrary to what they claim and then "big data" connects the dots and narrows down matches to a scary point.

That said, it doesn't affect me but it bothers me that our data is sold by the gov't.
No, the state sells it to a big data company, that consolidate the entire thing with your purchasing preferences, who you call and email, how much money you make and spend, and whatever else they can scrape off any platform, then they sell your entire profile to whomever wishes to buy it.

A lender knowing your license plate number is the least of your worries.

I must be missing something. So say I am driving down the road and behind on payments, and this dude picks up my plate. Then what? He follows me home or?

In the end it no different than Google selling your search history or visa selling your purchase preferences to retailers.
If you are driving he can't do anything. However park to go in to the mall, -and yes if the bank/credit union issued the right paperwork it could be be gone when you come out. He already knows where you live with the proper paperwork issued. Had this happen to a friend. That's when I discovered (generally) these type of companies are the scum of the Earth. Not for towing your car (it's their job) but trying to talk with them just to remove a laptop from the repossessed vehcile is a major undertaking-and they treat you like a common criminal.

No, the state sells it to a big data company, that consolidate the entire thing with your purchasing preferences, who you call and email, how much money you make and spend, and whatever else they can scrape off any platform, then they sell your entire profile to whomever wishes to buy it.

A lender knowing your license plate number is the least of your worries.
to setup a tow or value your car online all you need is the plate. Now year make model VIN are auto populated

The police here use them to check:
- For outstanding fines/warrants
- For license suspension
- For plate validity (up-to-date renewal)
- For valid insurance
- For Amber Alert suspects

The police here use them to check:
- For outstanding fines/warrants
- For license suspension
- For plate validity (up-to-date renewal)
- For valid insurance
- For Amber Alert suspects
Police makes perfect sense. There out and about anyway. If it flags they can pull the driver over immediately. There looking for a lot more than missed payments.

A repo guy with this stuff seems like a needle in a haystack to me. I guess I am just slow.

treat you like a common criminal.
In fairness, at that point you kind of are. If you can't make your payments for legitimate reasons you would turn your vehicle in rather than hiding it. Then you could take whatever out you wanted ahead of time.

I also imagine those choosing repo as their profession likely aren't the sharpest tools in the shed either.

Insurance also knows your plate # and the garaged address.

In fairness, at that point you kind of are. If you can't make your payments for legitimate reasons you would turn your vehicle in rather than hiding it. Then you could take whatever out you wanted ahead of time.

I also imagine those choosing repo as their profession likely aren't the sharpest tools in the shed either.
I wouldn't say that, it's usually an auto wrecker trying to make as much money as possible. Whether it's a DUI tow away or accident recovery billed to insurance.

You don't have too; they have access to the DMV just like they tell the DMV when you don't pay your insurance.
Yes-the state has computers and at least in Utah law enforcement can tell if you have an active policy by plugging your info in to the laptop in their patrol car.

Sure, I told them my address. I have never told my insurance company what my plate numbers are though.

Ohio won't sell your personal data unless authorized under state law. They can still share car registrations including VIN and plate # with the county of your residence and 5 digit zip code.

Big data makes it easy to connect the dots between a VIN, which you did give your insurer, and a database with VINS and plate #'s.

For a reality check, go to one of the many services that will look up a car by license plate. Even many auto parts chains can look up cars by license plates - Oreilly's being one.

You don't have too; they have access to the DMV just like they tell the DMV when you don't pay your insurance.
They don't need access to do that. They do know my VIN and they can send that to the state and then the state can cross-reference the VIN to my plate #.

Alternatively, there may be some law or regulation that allows a lienholder to find out the current registration info for the vehicle they have a lien on. No "big data" needed, just someone at the lender filling out a form and sending it to the DMV.

Back