Mobil 5,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive read a few post's on here about Mobil 5000 but i have questions, is this the conventional sister to Mobil 1 ? I was looking around the mart for a inexpensive conventional for 3,000 mile oil changes on step moms mini-van. (short OCI is her choice) for $12.xx this seems to fit the bill pretty nice, especially on a 95 Dodge Caravan with the 6 banger in it. This van has over 200,000 on the clock. I was having a hard time deciding between this Mobil and Supertech at walmart and both seemed to be at the same price point. I cant see putting YB OR WB in this van with so many miles and such SHORT oci's Buying either supertech or mobil5000 saves me enuff to buy puro filter v.s. the more name brand alternatives

I cant see much sway one way or the other between these two oils in this application

What say you ?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil [5000] is superior to ST.

+1

How so?

That statement is wrong. MS5K is no better than ST nor worse, it is the same respectfully. UOAs have been posted to back this up. The end results are the same, low wear numbers even in extended OCIs. No one can currently prove MS5k protects or is a better oil than ST.

However, I'd use the MS5k since I know who the manufacturer actually is and know it is consistent. ST can be mobil, WPP, or citgo. And I have successfully used Mobil Super in the past. But this does not mean it is superior to ST, just a preference.

Originally Posted By: volk06

+1

How so? MS5K is no better than ST. UOAs have been posted to back this up. The end results are the same, low wear numbers even in extended OCIs. No one can currently prove MS5k protects or is a better oil than ST.

However, I'd use the MS5k since I know who the manufacturer actually is and know it is consistent. ST can be mobil, WPP, or citgo.

so im on the mark thats its basically a price point debate between these two ?

do you know volk if MobilS5 is related to Mobile 1 ? i dont think ive read that on here before..

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: volk06

+1

How so? MS5K is no better than ST. UOAs have been posted to back this up. The end results are the same, low wear numbers even in extended OCIs. No one can currently prove MS5k protects or is a better oil than ST.

However, I'd use the MS5k since I know who the manufacturer actually is and know it is consistent. ST can be mobil, WPP, or citgo.

so im on the mark thats its basically a price point debate between these two ?

do you know volk if MobilS5 is related to Mobile 1 ? i dont think ive read that on here before..

Yes its the price point.

Mobil Super is a completely different line up than Mobil 1. This marketing link kind of shows the tiers of XOMs oils.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_product-comparison-chart.aspx

There is MS5k, conventional
There is MS5k HM, blend
There is Ms5K Full synthetic
Then there is the Mobil 1 "Advanced Full synthetic" line up

Same oil company but different lines of oils. The only relation is its make by the same company.

IMO....take a hard look at the specials Advance Auto has for quality conventional along with your Local Napa.

With Filter....these deals are.....very good deals.

I changed the oil in a couple of neighbors cars using the Napa specials. 50/50 synthetic and conventional store brand oil and a Napa silver oil filter. IMO....same as Valvoline brand oil since both oils are bottled by Ashland.

Now im tracking, so it is a Mobil product (thats what i was getting at) and frankly its much cheaper than PYB & VWB by $3+ bucks for the 5 quart jugg..

So ive never paid any attention to this oil before but now it has my attention, how does it compair to the above mentioned ?

Now im tracking, so it is a Mobil product (thats what i was getting at) and frankly its much cheaper than PYB & VWB by $3+ bucks for the 5 quart jugg..

So ive never paid any attention to this oil before but now it has my attention, how does it compair to the above mentioned ?

It is just as good as the ones you mention. They all meet the same specs. Heres a link, you can look at the different additive packages.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultssep2011.html

MS5k doesnt use moly but instead a newer technology with Titanium.

Both Mobil 5000 and SuperTech are good oils. I give the Mobil product a slight edge due to the moly (155 versus 44). Have regularly used both products in customers' vehicles over the years without complaint.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/mobil5000labelrevnew.htm

http://www.pqiamerica.com/May 2013/supertech.htm

The MS5k link you posted was an old VOA. MS5K does not use moly any more. Therefore by your thinking ST would now be better since it now has more moly than MS5K.

Ive spent considerable time pricing (the specials/ the sales) v.s. Walmarts everyday prices for the same thing or similiar products, once in awhile your right.. the sale will best Walmart by a buck or even two, but (in my particular siuation) Walmart is on the edge of town V.S. the other stores being in town, by the time i figure in fuel and time to reach the parts stores i usually find its not worth the small $ saving.. just alot easier to stick with the big box store..

However, when AZ has there Techron sale.. ill drive as its worth the savings to stock up.. so its all situation dependant..

Im with you however, if people arent afraid to shop parts stores specials they can usually save atleast a buck or two over the big box store.

Last edited:
Both Mobil 5000 and SuperTech are good oils. I give the Mobil product a slight edge due to the moly (155 versus 44). Have regularly used both products in customers' vehicles over the years without complaint.

There is no moly in MS5K. It has titanium instead. The posted link is Mobil Clean 5K which was replaced by Mobil Super 5k at the SN/GF-5 rollout.
IMO, MS5K is the best conventional PCMO on the market. I would use it even if others were at the same price.

Last edited:
Well at the price point of $12 for a 5 quart jugg, and if its on par with VWB OR PYB.. Mobil is a no brainer. Ive bought two juggs for her van and if i like it i may consider it for some of my autos in the future.

There is no moly in MS5K. It has titanium instead. The posted link is Mobil Clean 5K which was replaced by Mobil Super 5k at the SN/GF-5 rollout.
IMO, MS5K is the best conventional PCMO on the market. I would use it even if others were at the same price. [/quote]

Titanium seems too be the trend and Mobil Super 5k is using it. I do use the mobil super in my mothers old 94 corolla with alot of miles. She was getting supertech, changing 3 times a year, most all short runs,(shes disabled)i see no noticeable difference, but as said above, the Mobil Super 5k is a good conventional oil from a reputable company whereas the supertech seems too have some variance at times.
Just my 2 cents.

I've been using MS5K/HM, for some time and it works for my needs. The HM version has slowed my oil use to 1qt/5500 mile OCI in my 1996 V6 camry.

Honestly, if you are stuck with 3k OCIs, any SN/SM oil is going to be fine. It would seem to be a decision based solely on the best sale, at that point.

Off topic but related, She brought me 5 quarts of something on sale at AZ and a filter last time around (a few months ago) and with a top up with supertech last month.. this weekend she arrived and the van was making plenty of top end racket. I dumped the sale oil/super tech mix and replaced with the mobil 5,000 and a puro filter. I instantly noticed the engine get quieter.. Its rare anymore that i raise my eyebrows with anything oil related, and this suprised me that the engine got that much quieter that quick.. i was also suprised how much racket it was making for a a OCI with less than 3,000 miles on it. now obviously the oil that came out of the van v.s. the oil going in was thicker so thats going to play in to it

Off topic but related, She brought me 5 quarts of something on sale at AZ and a filter last time around (a few months ago) and with a top up with supertech last month.. this weekend she arrived and the van was making plenty of top end racket. I dumped the sale oil/super tech mix and replaced with the mobil 5,000 and a puro filter. I instantly noticed the engine get quieter.. Its rare anymore that i raise my eyebrows with anything oil related, and this suprised me that the engine got that much quieter that quick.. i was also suprised how much racket it was making for a a OCI with less than 3,000 miles on it. now obviously the oil that came out of the van v.s. the oil going in was thicker so thats going to play in to it

Yes, I do think it is the thicker "new oil" that makes your engine seem to quiet down. I do believe there are oils that quiet an engine and it can't be in my head because I have had high hopes for some and been disappointed and little hope for others and they have been great.
Back On topic: Ms5K is on par or better than any major competitor as far as a quality goes for conventional. It is a great oil. If you are going to use the extra money for a higher end filter than I would seriously consider leaving it on for 2 3k OCI's. No need to change a good filter out.

You listed Mobil Clean which is not made anymore. It is now Mobil 5000 with no moly. It does have the cheaper version of moly sort of,
smile.gif
Titanium.Google PQIA for the 2013 listings of add packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back