2 cycle premix oils, the best vs the cheap 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Redline Synthetic Racing Two Stroke oil in my outdoor power equipment mixed at 28:1 for more than 5 years.

TDI-Rick is Spot on. As a former kart racer, I can attest to the need for a high quality oil for high performance two stroke racing applications....which are far more stringent than outdoor power equipment applications. During my racing career, we conducted dyno testing extensively and we found several interesting effects from various oils: There were power and wear tradeoffs, as well as fouling and carbon buildup (castors). Also, as the oil ratio was increased, power would also increase....to a point. This was due to improved ring sealing and a slight reduction in motoring friction.

What I settled on was Redline Synthetic Two-Stroke Racing oil mixed at 28:1 (4.5 oz/gallon) and 108 octane leaded racing fuel.

Its been several years since I raced, and I am still depleting my stock of two stroke oil in my power equipment. I have been running that same mix (with pump gas) in my Echo string trimmer, chainsaws, and blower with zero impacts. A recent routine exhaust port inspection on the trimmer showed ZERO scuffing on the piston skirt and low carbon buildup. Rigorous cleaning of the air filter is also a substanital key to engine life.

Like TDI-Rick, my power equipment is not stock either, and is well tuned and well cared for.
smile.gif

I like Redline products. But i can't find this oil any cheaper than about $82 a gallon! Ouch. I'm tempted (by final cost alone) to use Lucas semi synthetic 2 cycle oil. 8.99 at Oreily Auto and i have a stack of $5 off coupons

Great point with the use of TCW3 in air cooled OPE, never thought about that, I guess I had better get it outta my saw and Echo trimmer!

I've became really fond of the Amsoil Sabre oil, local saw shop sells it in a large "ketchup" pack that you add to 1 gallon of gas, its cheap and runs great in everything I have so I guess I'm going back to it.

In my karting days our KT100s ran great on Klotz Beanol and supertechniplate oils. We also ran some komets and parillas and never lost a motor due to lubrication.

Team Fast, did you get the opportunity to test any of the Euro blends ?

ELF HTX 909 and 976 were really popular here (along with ELF fuel), as were Motul Kart Grand Prix and Silkolene KR2.

Motul 800 2T, Castrol XR77 and ELF 976 were the oils of choice in bike GP circles, I'm using 800 2T in my OPE.

Not for any length of time. Motul was available and I ran that a little. Seemed fine. I conducted no testing on any of the Euro stuff, mainly due to lack of availability. At the end of the day, I wanted to have something that was available for racing at the time I needed it. I also ran Klotz in some air cooled engines. Maxima 927 is an excellent castor based product.

Motul 800 2T has never done me wrong in any engine. I mix this oil at 32:1 with VP racing T4 (96 octane no ethanol) for all my two strokes. Never anything more than a slight oil film on piston crown that wipes away with solvent wetted rag. I've always found that air filter cleanliness, and crank seal integrity are far more important to longevity than brand of two stroke oil.

To the guys who run 32:1 mix in machines that call for leaner, do you have problems with liquid oil residue on the muffler? I ask because I have two pieces of Echo equipment, a GT-200R string trimmer and a PE-230 stick edger. The GT is over 10 years old and I just bought the PE this year. The GT creates so much residue through the muffler that I get the appearance of oil "leaks" on the back of the machine near the muffler. I thought that maybe I was running it too rich or was using a dirty oil. So I'm using TruFuel 50:1 this year and I'm not sure if I can tell a difference yet or not.

It would make my life easier if I ran 32:1 in everything, as I also have a Lawn-Boy that calls for 32:1. Will 32:1 in a 50:1 machine cause increased smoke and/or residue/deposits in the muffler?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
To the guys who run 32:1 mix in machines that call for leaner, do you have problems with liquid oil residue on the muffler? I ask because I have two pieces of Echo equipment, a GT-200R string trimmer and a PE-230 stick edger. The GT is over 10 years old and I just bought the PE this year. The GT creates so much residue through the muffler that I get the appearance of oil "leaks" on the back of the machine near the muffler. I thought that maybe I was running it too rich or was using a dirty oil. So I'm using TruFuel 50:1 this year and I'm not sure if I can tell a difference yet or not.

It would make my life easier if I ran 32:1 in everything, as I also have a Lawn-Boy that calls for 32:1. Will 32:1 in a 50:1 machine cause increased smoke and/or residue/deposits in the muffler?

Some say it will run lean since there is less gas in the mix. You could probably do it but you may have to tune the carb for it as I'm sure it would run different.
What kind of oil you run in your lawnboy? I had exclusively used lawnboy oil in the metal can, but that stuff carbons up like crazy. Running saber or ultra from now on.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
What kind of oil you run in your lawnboy? I had exclusively used lawnboy oil in the metal can, but that stuff carbons up like crazy. Running saber or ultra from now on.

I've used all kinds. I think I may make a mix of 40:1 using the Echo oil and use it in everything.

What ratio are you using in your Lawn-Boy? 32:1?

I run 32:1 in everything from my lawnboy to the chainsaw and little generator cause I am lazy. I only mix 2 quarts at a time . 2 .oz of oil 2 quarts 87 ethanol free gas =32.1 . We don't burn a lot so price of oil is of little concern ,been trying to use up some old klotz techniplate . After its gone I may get a jug of motul 800 or more klotz . A quart bottle will last us 5 or 6 years. The 4 strokes do most of the work around here. I don't know what oil or ratio is best but I do know what a 32 to zero ratio will getya.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: SOHCman

I've used all kinds. I think I may make a mix of 40:1 using the Echo oil and use it in everything.

What ratio are you using in your Lawn-Boy? 32:1?

Yes, 32:1 with the lawnboy dino oil. I am going to stick with 32 on syn, and maybe thin it out wafter some testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back