82 Capri rs turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful and rare, I like it.

I also love the fact that it is not so nose heavy. Easily a great canyon carver that could be set up to run down some hot cars.

Good luck, hope you can get it set up correctly. I'd go full on road racer if it was mine, the power to weight ratio is nice and the light overall weight makes it a sweetie!

And, just in case you missed my point, we had "street legal" versions of this engine powering IMSA 'stang's (and some with the Capri body) to beyond 160MPH on the road course. That's impressive even today.

I would love to own that car! Great find. I have a soft spot for turbo 4's and having one in a Carpi/Stang would just be icing on the cake.

Beyond rare. You only see an SVO Mustang once every few years let alone the Capri.

I like it.
I'm a turbo Mopar fan myself but it's hard to not like any car like that from this era.

So I brought her home. Its a carb set up. The body is in 90% perfect shape. No dents or dings.
I'm going to do what I can to use the stock engine however if its toast I will put a 5.0 into it while I rebuild the 2.3.
Yep, 1 of 22. Awesome.
Thanks for everyone's input. I do appreciate the feedback

A friend of mine had an 84 Capri RS Turbo back in the early 90s. He eventually put a 5.0 in it though. The thing that amazed me the most was that he kept the original T5 trans even with the 5.0 in it, and that trans would have been an even weaker version than the already weak T5 but yet he never broke it even after 3-4 years of very hard street driving with the 5.0 (which wasn't stock either, it had a B303 cam and was carburated and made probably 275 to 300hp)

As long as you are running 'ordinary' street tires without too much hook then your driveline is safe.

Get traction and BANG, time to buy parts. I used to have an old Corvair with a 327 conversion in it. Had the original Saginaw trans!

When I sold it I warned the guy about driving it carefully off the line, but he broke it right away while frying the tires off for his friends. At least I tried...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
So I brought her home. Its a carb set up. The body is in 90% perfect shape. No dents or dings.
I'm going to do what I can to use the stock engine however if its toast I will put a 5.0 into it while I rebuild the 2.3.
Yep, 1 of 22. Awesome.

Since it's the carb engine, be very careful with your mods. That engine is not capable of handling any additional boost. It has none of the features I described.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Yep, 1 of 22. Awesome.

Since it's the carb engine, be very careful with your mods. That engine is not capable of handling any additional boost. It has none of the features I described.

Agreed for the reason I think the carbed engines had cast pistons...

Too bad I didn't find that one, I have a junk '88 Turbo Coupe with a good intercooled 2.3 engine('cept for smaller turbo basically same engine used in SVO), I'd prob convert it to the later specs... Actually a friend is supposed to buy that engine and prob will, but if a prime reason to use it dropped into my lap, he'd be sol...

If done some more research on the engine itself.
It has a draw thru turbo,so I think that means the fuel actually gets sucked into the intake stream,thru the turbo and into the intake,which as cuter meant ironed makes more boost very difficult.
So I've got a 91 notch with a mass air 2.3. I bought it for so of the exterior parts,doors,lights. Anyways I think I'm going to take the stock engine completely out,clean it up and shelf it. Use the other 2.3,I've got a turbo thunderbird on the acreage so I'm going to use everything that's left from it like the ecu and wiring harness,pull the turbo from our old 7.3 cube van and Frankenstein a 2.3 in the Capri.
If that doesn't work out then back to plan b with a 5.0.
I figure if I keep all the stock stuff I can re-install if I ever decide to sell(likely never) and use the collector status as a selling point.
Still should be fun my boy and I will be kept busy and just having it is pretty cool.
Now if tfb wanted to part with his complete engine that might make my life a bit simpler.............

The later model Turbo Coupe engine is a great engine, with all the best refinements Ford put into the 2.3 . 300HP is easy with the stock turbo on that one.

Last edited:
You guys remember the Mercury Merkur XR4Ti ?

155lbp1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You guys remember the Mercury Merkur XR4Ti ?

Yup I had one, at least long enough to resell it...

All this talk of Capris and I actually saw one on the road yesterday! It was not the turbo though, but the more common 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back