Ford trucks vs Toyota trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jimmy87

4 cylinder? Really? Who wants that? Might as well get a Camry, the 6 cylinder is a gas guzzler and you know it, that's why you brought up the 4 cylinder, 1300 pounds of top soil, like I said before your endangering the good people on the road, a properly equipped ranger (2011 model) has a max payload of around 1500 pounds, your not going to tell me that your older one or a 4 cylinder is even close to being rated to safely move 1300 pounds in the back of the bed, are you? Im sure the ranger is a reliable solid truck, not sure what the op wants to do with it as far as work goes, but despite me "bad mouthing" the ranger I would still recommend it over the tundra, but if it where me i would rather have a v6/v8 f150 for work.

Who wants a 4 cylinder? Umm, me. If Ford offered the 4 cylinder with 4wd, I would've gotten one. But, I had to get the big V6. Yes, it uses about as much fuel as a half ton. I STILL prefer the Ranger over a half ton. Gas mileage isn't everything. Half tons are way too big, bulky and impractical for my uses. I actually almost bought an F150 before I got my Ranger. I'm glad I got the Ranger instead. It does everything I need it to and more.
And yes, my truck can SAFELY haul that much in the bed (hint: my "older" truck as you call it is EXACTLY the same as a 2011 Ranger; Ford didn't make ANY changes whatsoever between 2006 and 2011). And as 01Rangerxl said, even the 4 cylinders can carry that much.
Why don't you just stop now before you make yourself look even more ignorant than you already have?

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Funny when people who probably have Bedrugs knock small trucks for not "bein' REAL trucks." Please...my Ranger towed a trailer almost every single day last summer. Sometimes as much as 1000 lbs. in the bed and another 4000 being towed. Do that with a FWD and report back on how well it goes. My Ranger has also had coolant splashed all over the windshield from a '98 Ram 5.9L that had a catastrophic head gasket and radiator failure while towing a trailer that was roughly the same size and weight as the one I was towing at the same time.

That said, depending on how much and how often you plan to tow, sometimes a larger truck does make it easier. They are less susceptible to whatever movements the trailer makes. I'd also rather tow with a 4.0L Ranger than a 3.0L. The 3.0L can do it, but will be working hard and drinking gas. It will offer no fuel economy gains, it just has to work harder. They are very reliable though.

My 2002 3.0 Ranger has gone 140K miles with no major repairs, and has easily hauled and towed more than 90% of the 1/2 ton grocery getters out there. If I went to a Line-X dealer to take advantage of my lifetime warranty, they would freak. You don't trash a Line-X in a Ranger by carrying groceries.

That said, if towing over 4-5K lbs. regularly, get the Tundra and budget for things like the timing belt. Tundras are good trucks, but aren't as cheap and easy to keep going as a Ranger. If I had a Tundra, I would have already needed to do a t-belt at about $1K. I've never needed to put anywhere near $1K in the Ranger at any one time. My biggest expense aside from fuel has definitely been tires.

Rangers are probably one of the most practical vehicle son the market ... when Ford made them. The real advantage, to me, is the 4 cyl 5 speed manual rangers that were dirt cheap. They're more than what 90% of truck buyers need.

With that said, if you want low cost of maintenance, you can NOT go wrong with a ranger with the 3.0 Vulcan engine.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

4 cylinder? Really? Who wants that? Might as well get a Camry, the 6 cylinder is a gas guzzler and you know it, that's why you brought up the 4 cylinder, 1300 pounds of top soil, like I said before your endangering the good people on the road, a properly equipped ranger (2011 model) has a max payload of around 1500 pounds, your not going to tell me that your older one or a 4 cylinder is even close to being rated to safely move 1300 pounds in the back of the bed, are you? Im sure the ranger is a reliable solid truck, not sure what the op wants to do with it as far as work goes, but despite me "bad mouthing" the ranger I would still recommend it over the tundra, but if it where me i would rather have a v6/v8 f150 for work.

Who wants a 4 cylinder? Umm, me. If Ford offered the 4 cylinder with 4wd, I would've gotten one. But, I had to get the big V6. Yes, it uses about as much fuel as a half ton. I STILL prefer the Ranger over a half ton. Gas mileage isn't everything. Half tons are way too big, bulky and impractical for my uses. I actually almost bought an F150 before I got my Ranger. I'm glad I got the Ranger instead. It does everything I need it to and more.
And yes, my truck can SAFELY haul that much in the bed (hint: my "older" truck as you call it is EXACTLY the same as a 2011 Ranger; Ford didn't make ANY changes whatsoever between 2006 and 2011). And as 01Rangerxl said, even the 4 cylinders can carry that much.
Why don't you just stop now before you make yourself look even more ignorant than you already have?

Come on guys, not once did I take a personal attack at any of you, so why do it to me, why call me ignorant,
Why assume that im disable and only use my extended cab pick to haul my wheel chair to Golden Corral, what's wrong with me being able to afford I like?

Last edited:
I didn't say "you," I said a lot of people.

When is the last time your Sierra towed a trailer? How about carried 1000 lbs.? The only fake truck is one that never gets used as a truck.

I'm all for buying whatever you like regardless of your needs, nobody questioned that...just your incorrect assumptions about small trucks.

Last edited:

When is the last time your Sierra towed a trailer? How about carried 1000 lbs.? The only fake truck is one that never gets used as a truck.

I'm all for buying whatever you like regardless of your needs, nobody questioned that...just your incorrect assumptions about small trucks.

I apologize, sorry! I made some ridiculous assumptions, didnt mean to get anyone heated or heated myself, I'm a truck fan, and I love ford trucks, truth is i would take a ranger over a tundra any day, case closed, op, didn't mean to derail or hijack your thread my apologies!

would like too know what OP is hauling....

mulch, wood, topsoil, furniture, washer, etc.... go ranger.

camper, another car, etc.... probably want a full size truck.

i understand some people freak out when we say we use a ranger too haul stuff, its not exactly a super duty pickup. what it does offer, is the average suburban family a vehicle that is reliable, cheap too fix and maintain vehicle too move around the basics when called upon.

if your intention is too haul something heavy, i would most certainly say go for a larger truck, at the prices you listed, Dodges for about half of what you posted. for $5000 or less, you can get them around here with the same mileage as the toyotas and as long as they havnt begun too rust badly, and tow alot of weight too boot.

im not brand picky, over the past 20 couple years, have owned alot of brands of vehicles and they all did ok, some better than others but nothing so drastic as too say i would only buy that brand.

i have 5 kids, i love my ranger for what it is, great gas mileage compared too alot of other trucks, and takes care of basic hauling needs, and use the durangos for serious hauling-pulling.

good luck on your decision!

no harm no foul jimmy87.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
That's great overkill, but like I pointed and the Ford engineers had pointed out in the video, some vehicles were just designed with water crossings in mind from their inception. None of those Ford pick-ups you pointed out in your videos were engineered for a typical river crossing one might encounter overseas.

And you know this because you have intimate knowledge of truck design and testing protocols for the Big 3 in North America?

And an interesting fact: none of the river crossings I posted were overseas. You know, you might find this fascinating, but we have rivers in North America too!!

Quote:
Another reason why many diesel pick-up trucks/SUVs' overseas have high mounted snorkels on them. I've never seen a snorkel on a domestic pick-up or SUV unless it was a military Humvee.

There are plenty of aftermarket ones available for people wanting to go through REALLY deep water. However, the common practice with the MUCH LARGER trucks we have over here is to just lift the truck or put on bigger tires.

Quote:
I never made this into a Ranger(Toyota) or Hilux(Ford) argument, look in the mirror; you did.

Right, and Mary Poppins just visited my children.

Quote:
I stand by my original statement that pick-up trucks overseas are built to a different standard and that I prefer a diesel Hilux over any current model domestic/import pick-up available in our LOVELY U.S.of A. Frankly I could care less what you think so have a wonderful day
laugh.gif

Don't worry big guy, the feeling is mutual. You've contributed a steaming pile of nothing to this thread with your opinion piece on overseas trucks. Bravo. Go have a hero cookie, you deserve one
happy2.gif

I would say buy the newest low-mileage low-rust truck that you can afford. Regarding American vs. Japanese trucks, other than the Toyota Tacoma there is not much of a following for Japanese trucks here in America. They sell in very low quantities compared to the American trucks and thus parts are expensive and finding service for them outside of metropolitan areas can be difficult, whereas if you're in the middle of Kansas and break down in your Ford or Chevy truck, chances are that the tow truck driver that responds can haul you to a guy specializing in Ford or Chevy trucks who has a dozen of'em scattered around his yard and knows the innards of the beast blindfolded. That said, there's certainly nothing wrong with them if you have parts and service available in your community. They have their issues, such as cracking frames near the motor mounts on some years of the Tacoma, but so do American trucks. Just inspect carefully.

2wd vs 4wd -- as others have noted 4wd trucks use solid-locking transfer cases that aren't very good in the snow (they interfere with steering on hard surfaces). I treat my Jeep Wrangler (same setup) like a 2wd vehicle on snowy/icy pavement, with very few exceptions such as a blizzard last year where I did switch it to 4 hi to make it up a grade when I felt my rear tires start slipping when I gave it gas. But I didn't have snow tires on my Jeep either. Because who puts snow tires on their Jeep to go to Death Valley?
wink.gif
(Long story there on how I ended up in central Nevada in a blizzard when I originally intended to go to Death Valley, but the Belmont smelter chimney is beautiful in waist-deep snow
smile.gif
).

Originally Posted By: badtux99
I would say buy the newest low-mileage low-rust truck that you can afford. Regarding American vs. Japanese trucks, other than the Toyota Tacoma there is not much of a following for Japanese trucks here in America. They sell in very low quantities compared to the American trucks and thus parts are expensive and finding service for them outside of metropolitan areas can be difficult, whereas if you're in the middle of Kansas and break down in your Ford or Chevy truck, chances are that the tow truck driver that responds can haul you to a guy specializing in Ford or Chevy trucks who has a dozen of'em scattered around his yard and knows the innards of the beast blindfolded. That said, there's certainly nothing wrong with them if you have parts and service available in your community. They have their issues, such as cracking frames near the motor mounts on some years of the Tacoma, but so do American trucks. Just inspect carefully.

2wd vs 4wd -- as others have noted 4wd trucks use solid-locking transfer cases that aren't very good in the snow (they interfere with steering on hard surfaces). I treat my Jeep Wrangler (same setup) like a 2wd vehicle on snowy/icy pavement, with very few exceptions such as a blizzard last year where I did switch it to 4 hi to make it up a grade when I felt my rear tires start slipping when I gave it gas. But I didn't have snow tires on my Jeep either. Because who puts snow tires on their Jeep to go to Death Valley?
wink.gif
(Long story there on how I ended up in central Nevada in a blizzard when I originally intended to go to Death Valley, but the Belmont smelter chimney is beautiful in waist-deep snow
smile.gif
).

Toyota was smart to keep the Taco around. I'm not a huge Toyota fan (they really haven't made anything that appeals to me) - but I really like the Taco.

It's the last realiable "little" truck on the market. I wouldn't mind a 4 cyl manual Taco at all! The other plus is, they are easier to get with a manual transmission ... but I suspect that won't last much longer.

All men suffer from masculine overcompensation at some point in their lives, myself included, others more so.

I purchased a brand new 2002 Toyota Sequoia 4x4 thinking it was the macho, American thing to do, bigger is better, right? Wrong, I later realized all I ever needed was a midsized SUV 4x2 that my wife owned. And too many soccer moms were driving around in one. So now she gets the macho, full-size SUV and I drive the mid-sized SUV. If the wife allows me, I'm seriously considering an ICON FJ hardtop Cruiser in diesel trim when the 4Runner gets retired for farm duty.

I've got a 100 acre hobby farm plot and I really wanted a full-sized tractor but I settled for a compact that gets the job done. My neighbor Mr. Grimm w/ his full-sized Case IH tractor always tells me, "That CUT(compact utility tractor) can sure do a #%@@ lot more than I thought it could do!"

Likewise when it comes to pick-up trucks I know a compact pick-up that they don't make in the U.S. of A(diesel Ford Ranger/Hilux) can handle most everything that a full-sized PU could handle aside from hauling a Space Shuttle(hahaha).

In short, masculine overcompensation, some men just have to have "bigger is better" to prove their manhood, possibly due to a Napoleon Complex(Little man Syndrome). Not I, I'm content w/ life and not material possessions, oh and I'm 6'3".
laugh.gif

All men suffer from masculine overcompensation at some point in their lives, myself included, others more so.

I purchased a brand new 2002 Toyota Sequoia 4x4 thinking it was the macho, American thing to do, bigger is better, right? Wrong, I later realized all I ever needed was a midsized SUV 4x2 that my wife owned. And too many soccer moms were driving around in one. So now she gets the macho, full-size SUV and I drive the mid-sized SUV. If the wife allows me, I'm seriously considering an ICON FJ hardtop Cruiser in diesel trim when the 4Runner gets retired for farm duty.

I've got a 100 acre hobby farm plot and I really wanted a full-sized tractor but I settled for a compact that gets the job done. My neighbor Mr. Grimm w/ his full-sized Case IH tractor always tells me, "That CUT(compact utility tractor) can sure do a #%@@ lot more than I thought it could do!"

Likewise when it comes to pick-up trucks I know a compact pick-up that they don't make in the U.S. of A(diesel Ford Ranger/Hilux) can handle most everything that a full-sized PU could handle aside from hauling a Space Shuttle(hahaha).

In short, masculine overcompensation, some men just have to have "bigger is better" to prove their manhood, possibly due to a Napoleon Complex(Little man Syndrome). Not I, I'm content w/ life and not material possessions, oh and I'm 6'3".
laugh.gif

I can agree with all of the above. But it doesn't really flow with the point you appeared to be making in your original post. I think a diesel Ranger for the American market would be well received and its a shame that Ford didn't bring it here. We have, as noted, much larger trucks in general and most of them get used to haul nothing but air. No argument from me there.

Just because a little truck (and even an overseas one) "can", doesn't mean a big truck can't too though
wink.gif
And that was the point I was trying to make in my original response to you. The "big" trucks we have here, although not utilized to their full capacity in many (most?) applications are more capable than many give them credit for (present company included) which is why I posted the videos. I have plenty of redneck buddies who do nothing but beat the tar out of their vehicles including mud bogs, river driving.....etc. I speak from a bit of experience here, not just Youtube videos
smile.gif

And not really on topic, but I have a fair deal of experience with the little JD X595 "lawn" tractor with its small diesel and it amazed me just how capable that little bugger was for things you wouldn't normally expect to be able to do with a lawn tractor. And at our cottage my grandfather used a small Ford diesel tractor (probably the same size as yours) for a LOT of things including excavating (it had a bucket), running a bush-hog, towing logs out of the lake....etc. So I can somewhat identify with your CUT example here too.

I apologize, sorry! I made some ridiculous assumptions, didnt mean to get anyone heated or heated myself, I'm a truck fan, and I love ford trucks, truth is i would take a ranger over a tundra any day, case closed, op, didn't mean to derail or hijack your thread my apologies!

No harm, no foul. I like trucks in general too, will drive one regardless of if I need it or not, and actually advised in favor of a member commuting in a new 4.3 Silverado in another thread.

I'm not against large trucks, and I use them when I need to (though at that point I generally need a Super Duty, so that's the backup), but my small one has never let me down. It has been mistaken for an F-150 more than once at two different scrap metal yards...it's missing a badge on one side and I guess when they see a blue oval with a trailer, they just think "F-150." One yard actually had my truck down as a "maroon F-150"...it's black. I guess I was a couple months behind on the washings.

Anyway, no hard feelings.

laugh.gif

Your telling me, around here in central Texas, there are a ton of guys driving around desiel 2500's, some of them I see on a daily basis, and I know that most of them don't haul anything, I do see and hear them hauling [censored] on the road blowing out all that black smoke. I drive a 2wd extended cab GMC sierra, and I love it, and your right at times I do feel as if I have to much truck but the majority of time it feels just right, not to big not to small, according to the dealer where I go for service about 90% of the late model GM trucks on the road are crew cabs. Compared to the guys who are hauling around nothing but air in their crew cab desiels I feel as if I'm driving an s10, especially when I hear their turbo winding up behind me, kinda intimidating.

That's great overkill, but like I pointed and the Ford engineers had pointed out in the video, some vehicles were just designed with water crossings in mind from their inception. None of those Ford pick-ups you pointed out in your videos were engineered for a typical river crossing one might encounter overseas. Another reason why many diesel pick-up trucks/SUVs' overseas have high mounted snorkels on them. I've never seen a snorkel on a domestic pick-up or SUV unless it was a military Humvee.

I never made this into a Ranger(Toyota) or Hilux(Ford) argument, look in the mirror; you did.

I stand by my original statement that pick-up trucks overseas are built to a different standard and that I prefer a diesel Hilux over any current model domestic/import pick-up available in our LOVELY U.S.of A. Frankly I could care less what you think so have a wonderful day
laugh.gif

I agree with you. The folks over seas have all the cool toys. Over there it's built to last, here is built to throw away.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

I agree with you. The folks over seas have all the cool toys. Over there it's built to last, here is built to throw away.

Disagree, my father in law drives around in 2000 F150 I6 5 speed that was my brother in laws former construction site vehicle. It has 325,000 miles. Yes its had work but nothing major and you can find the cheapest garages in seediest parts of MA to work on one since you have to live on planet Mars to have no experience working on one.

As noted above, the vast majority of American truck owners do NOT use their vehicle for any serious work.

Also, absolutely hilarious comments about snorkels, those have little work application! Of course in more backwards areas this is a possibility, but for the average owner that device simply is window dressing. And how could our trucks be "throw aways" when every body panel is double sided galvanized before finishing? It is interesting to note that NO imports are used in our duty cycle ever by anyone. Give that a thought.

For real work an American truck is hard to beat. We routinely run them to ridiculous mileages and they are running great when sold with no major repairs. Fuel is far from the only cost involved, and diesels usually require more tending than modern gas engines in heavy duty service.

Last edited:
Rangers are nice little trucks, but like all little trucks the beds are just to small.

I won't buy a truck without an 8ft bed and honestly that's never big enough.

They are a good light duty truck for running around town in.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I won't buy a truck without an 8ft bed and honestly that's never big enough.

Ain't that the truth. This month my truck hauled cut oak for 3 days straight piled as high as we dared. Didn't go far (burnt it) but it would have been terrific if we had 3 more feet of bed!

You always want more truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back