Ford trucks vs Toyota trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man this thread went south fast.
Just depends on what you want to do.
If you are going to tow often the larger the vehicle the better (depending on load.) Longer wheel base equals less sway and more stability. Towing is not all about power. It is about the complete package.
I tow an 8000lbs loaded travel trailer with a 3/4 ton 6.0 gas Chevy. It does fine. Lots of gas trucks at the campgrounds.

Just decide what you ultimate goal is. Rust is Rust, not sure where you are at but find the one with the least rust. I am luck where I am at as we don't get rust.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
If you are going to tow often the larger the vehicle the better (depending on load.) Longer wheel base equals less sway and more stability. Towing is not all about power. It is about the complete package.
I tow an 8000lbs loaded travel trailer with a 3/4 ton 6.0 gas Chevy. It does fine. Lots of gas trucks at the campgrounds.

Just decide what you ultimate goal is. Rust is Rust, not sure where you are at but find the one with the least rust. I am luck where I am at as we don't get rust.

+1 what do you use the truck for?

I love how towing apparently means you need a huge V8 and someone even recommended a diesel.
lol.gif

Maybe that is why I see lots of huge diesel pickups towing tiny single axle trailers.
lol.gif

My best friend put 200k on his Ranger before selling it. It was an extremely reliable truck. The only thing that broke on it was the rear plastic tailgate handle, which we replaced with a metal one. His was a V6, but it towed everything we asked it to, including lots of topsoil, mulch, lawnmowers, wood, etc.

Tundras are a nice truck, but if you don't tow a lot, I doubt you need a huge V8 full-size truck. The beds on a full-sized crew cab truck are not even that much bigger than a Ranger when it comes down to it. Most crew cab trucks come with a 6 foot bed. Unless you tow a large trailer or buy an 8ft bed full-sized truck, a new larger truck doesn't have too many advantages.

If you do need a full-size for towing, and only plan to use it every so often, I suggest getting an older truck. My Grandpa only needs a truck for dump runs, plowing his driveway, and the occasional home depot run. He has a 1994 Ford F-250 that he has when he needs it, and uses his Honda Fit for daily driving. The Ford is paid off, cheap to insure, easy to fix, and the bad gas mileage isn't a big deal since its not used every day.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I have owned a 90 ranger with the 2.9 V-6 extra-cab. That truck ran great. I hauled all kinds of stuff in it. It was a bit of a slug on the hills though. I sold it with 250k on it and it still ran great. After that I went to a 98 5.0 Explorer. I towed with this and it was great. I should have kept this one. I am now driving a 99 Ranger xtra-cab 4x4 with the 4.0. I love it. Plenty of power and love the OHV engine. It has a lot more to give then the 3.0 and gets about the same mpg. I paid $3500 for it as it had a few minor problems that the PO didn't want to deal with. I have to say when you need parts for a Ranger they are cheap and you can find them EVERYWHERE. Just my .02

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I love how towing apparently means you need a huge V8 and someone even recommended a diesel.
lol.gif

Maybe that is why I see lots of huge diesel pickups towing tiny single axle trailers.
lol.gif

My best friend put 200k on his Ranger before selling it. It was an extremely reliable truck. The only thing that broke on it was the rear plastic tailgate handle, which we replaced with a metal one. His was a V6, but it towed everything we asked it to, including lots of topsoil, mulch, lawnmowers, wood, etc.

Tundras are a nice truck, but if you don't tow a lot, I doubt you need a huge V8 full-size truck. The beds on a full-sized crew cab truck are not even that much bigger than a Ranger when it comes down to it. Most crew cab trucks come with a 6 foot bed. Unless you tow a large trailer or buy an 8ft bed full-sized truck, a new larger truck doesn't have too many advantages.

If you do need a full-size for towing, and only plan to use it every so often, I suggest getting an older truck. My Grandpa only needs a truck for dump runs, plowing his driveway, and the occasional home depot run. He has a 1994 Ford F-250 that he has when he needs it, and uses his Honda Fit for daily driving. The Ford is paid off, cheap to insure, easy to fix, and the bad gas mileage isn't a big deal since its not used every day.
thumbsup2.gif

Trucks are simply tools that must be sized right for a job. I wouldn't use my little 9v impact gun to drive in 3in deck screws all day long, I'd use a 20v Dewalt. Will the little impact gun do a few screws once in awhile? Sure.

Same with trucks. However running silly overloaded is just foolish. The guys that say oh my little truck is amazing I tow all this weight and load the heck out of it, to frankly an illegal OTR level are fools. If they have any assets at all they want to protect they are putting them in danger. If you get into an accident with a severally overloaded truck than you have a very high chance of getting sued because of it.

Also why white knuckle it? Larger vehicles have larger brakes and more mass, their is more to working a truck than just the truck being able to do the job. I can hook my 10k pound boat and trailer to a Ranger and have it yank it around the equipment yard pretty good. But OTR? Come on. Will it move it a bit around town? Probably. Will the trailer yank the truck around like a toy down a ramp or smoke the brakes into oblivion on any kind of incline? Sure, and if I hit someone I'm getting sued. Which is why I tow it with a 1 ton dually Dodge.

Its all about sizing the vehicle properly for the job, and when in doubt I think its a good rule to go a bit on the heavy side. Because no one ever has the problem of having to much truck.

Its not about the motor really, its about having a vehicle built and designed for what you are doing with it. Underneath a 3/4 ton truck has a lot more steel than a 1/4 or 1/2 ton truck. Everything is more beefy and designed to handle a lot more weight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

lol.gif

lol.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Its all about sizing the vehicle properly for the job, and when in doubt I think its a good rule to go a bit on the heavy side. Because no one ever has the problem of having to much truck.

This, sometimes that is a hard sell to folks on here.
Not saying you need a 1 ton dually for everything, but when towing it does not hurt to have more vehicle than you need. Makes towing a less stressful situation.

Plus trailer brakes should be a must. Washington says any trailer above 2000lbs or and the list is long but you must meet this as well Braking performance

What has been found out here is if your trailer and contents is 1000 lbs or more you will be required to have brakes on it. If you wreck you will be ticketed and found at fault.

lol.gif

lol.gif

thumbsup2.gif

This, sometimes that is a hard sell to folks on here.
Not saying you need a 1 ton dually for everything, but when towing it does not hurt to have more vehicle than you need. Makes towing a less stressful situation.

Plus trailer brakes should be a must. Washington says any trailer above 2000lbs or and the list is long but you must meet this as well Braking performance

What has been found out here is if your trailer and contents is 1000 lbs or more you will be required to have brakes on it. If you wreck you will be ticketed and found at fault.

I completely agree. Safety is the #1 concern and obviously if someone tows a considerable amount, a larger truck is needed, along with the brake controller, etc. My point is that there are two sides to the story. There are those who overload trucks which is extremely dangerous, and those who never use them. One of my friends who lives down the street has owned 1/2 ton trucks since he was 16. He recently bought a 3/4 ton diesel. Out of all of his trucks, he has hauled 1 pallet in the back for about 30 minutes. That was the only time he used the bed. The funny thing is his brother has the smaller half ton and tows a large camper with it.

If you NEED a larger truck then by all means get it. The point I was trying to make is buy one that fits your needs. If I were to get a truck, I'd get a Ranger or maybe a V6 half ton regular cab with an 8 foot bed. The only things I really haul are small power equipment, yard supplies, and firewood occasionally. All of this could fit in a Ranger easily, or a small utility trailer, which is what I currently use and is what works best for me.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:

lol.gif

lol.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Trucks are simply tools that must be sized right for a job. I wouldn't use my little 9v impact gun to drive in 3in deck screws all day long, I'd use a 20v Dewalt. Will the little impact gun do a few screws once in awhile? Sure.

Same with trucks. However running silly overloaded is just foolish. The guys that say oh my little truck is amazing I tow all this weight and load the heck out of it, to frankly an illegal OTR level are fools. If they have any assets at all they want to protect they are putting them in danger. If you get into an accident with a severally overloaded truck than you have a very high chance of getting sued because of it.

Also why white knuckle it? Larger vehicles have larger brakes and more mass, their is more to working a truck than just the truck being able to do the job. I can hook my 10k pound boat and trailer to a Ranger and have it yank it around the equipment yard pretty good. But OTR? Come on. Will it move it a bit around town? Probably. Will the trailer yank the truck around like a toy down a ramp or smoke the brakes into oblivion on any kind of incline? Sure, and if I hit someone I'm getting sued. Which is why I tow it with a 1 ton dually Dodge.

Its not about the motor really, its about having a vehicle built and designed for what you are doing with it. Underneath a 3/4 ton truck has a lot more steel than a 1/4 or 1/2 ton truck. Everything is more beefy and designed to handle a lot more weight.

Nobody here was talking about hooking 10K lbs. to a Ranger. We don't even know what the OP wants to tow yet.

I may have gone over my GVWR a couple times, but hardly ever white knuckled it or actually stressed the brakes or anything else. Towing 4K lbs. with a small truck isn't severe overloading by any stretch of the imagination. While my truck does have slightly smaller brakes than the same year 2WD F-150, when you look at brake size in relation to curb weight, my truck has proportionally larger brakes for its weight. It wasn't until the mid 2000s that 1/2 tons got a significant capacity advantage over smaller trucks, and with that came $50K price tags, so what's the point? Buy a 3/4 ton at that price. Like I said, when I really need to haul something, I skip the 1/2 tons and borrow a Super Duty.

Why is it that everyone here seems to be in favor of towing trailers with FWD cars that aren't supposed to be towing anything (numerous threads about this), or are in favor of buying a dually diesel to yank around a 5x8 utility trailer, but when anyone mentions doing anything with a small truck it's "OMFG YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!" (usually from someone who has never owned and possibly never driven a small truck, let alone actually looked up the capacities)?

If a vehicle can't stop a 1K lb. trailer on its own easily, it shouldn't be towing ANYTHING!

As for larger vehicles being less stressful...sometimes. I think I was a little less stressed than my coworker with a Ram towing about the same load when the Ram was on the side of the interstate puking coolant. The most stressful vehicle I have ever driven was a 1 ton GMC Vandura that couldn't get out of its own way, loaded or not. That was the only vehicle I have been in where the thought of "I might not make it up this hill" crossed my mind.

Towed 4000 lbs with my Tacoma 1500 miles. Did great with OD off on flat land. Once you started climbing I had to put it in second. Second transmisson cooler did keep my temps between 170-220. Love this truck.

Last edited:
The "problem" of people using big trucks to haul nothing will go away when gas/diesel goes up to $8 a gallon like in england- 12 gallons US$100.

no trucks on the road

funny the OP hasn't chimed in with their requirements. There may be some daydreaming here.

The tundra in my sig is really too big for daily commute, but it's almost too lite for the travel trailer we pull (~5000 lbs dry). I live happily with the compromise.

very happy with the T, however per the OP's need for an occasional utility vehicle I'd be going for cheap cheap and easy to maintain. Unless it's going to be driven weekly, I'd want a stick... less stuff to age while sitting. Without really seeing it, the ranger sort of sounds like the better deal.

Comments about the utility trailer are warranted. Depending what's in the stable, a utility trailer, covered or uncovered, are economical and HANDY.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
The "problem" of people using big trucks to haul nothing will go away when gas/diesel goes up to $8 a gallon like in england- 12 gallons US$100.

no trucks on the road

Yep.

So will all the service companies. What about your plumber, carpet cleaner, etc.? They are ALL out of business at those prices.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

no trucks on the road

Yep.

So will all the service companies. What about your plumber, carpet cleaner, etc.? They are ALL out of business at those prices.

I'm 99% sure those companies exist outside of the States, in countries where gasoline and even diesel costs $8/gallon. Or more.

And you think high-priced fuel is good, how? The price for those services reflects the insanely high price they pay for their fuel.

Everybody pays for artificially inflated transportation costs.

Originally Posted By: supton

no trucks on the road

Yep.

I'm 99% sure those companies exist outside of the States, in countries where gasoline and even diesel costs $8/gallon. Or more.

In what way do you think I was defending, or even asking for, high fuel prices?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
And you think high-priced fuel is good, how? The price for those services reflects the insanely high price they pay for their fuel.

Everybody pays for artificially inflated transportation costs.

Originally Posted By: supton

no trucks on the road

Yep.

Everyone has opinions, especially in foreign vs. domestic vehicles.

Here's what I know: My 1995 T100 just clicked over 450,000 miles. Head gaskets replaced at 256,000. Short block replaced then also bc of cylinder pitting from blown HG's. All on Toyota's nickle.

There's some rust showing around one wheel well. I change oil with synthetic every 10k and do a diy trans fluid flush every 50k. I change timing belts every 90k along with a coolant flush.

Original parts: Auto transmission, starter, radiator, alternator, radiator, p.s. pump. I did replace the AC compressor 10 years ago.

From what I've heard, I'd opt for the 4.0L in the truck. 3.0L is a dog, bad MPG.
Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Not looking for a heated debate, but we are considering getting a truck so we can have a decent vehicle to tow and haul things with. Basically a utility vehicle. We plan to put about 6k a year on it, maybe less.

I'm looking at a '99 Ford Ranger, with 54k miles, 3.0 V6 in Rear Wheel drive for $4,500. The rear wheel concerns me as our winters are pretty harsh here. Looks like for MPG it gets between 16 and 20.

We are also considering an '00 Toyota Tundra (V8, 4WD, 160k, topper - $8900) and an '04 Tundra (V8, 4WD, 140k, no topper - $8900). We have had good luck with our Prius and Rav4, and her dad has had a wonderful trouble-free Corolla. Brother in law has a T100 he's beat to [censored] but still works fabulous, as well as a Camry that's on its last legs but has really high mileage. We are pretty much Toyota converts.

So, how do these trucks compare for reliability? Know toyota is pretty good but have heard great things about the Rangers. My main concern is that they will last a long time with minimal shop time and not cost me an arm and a leg to fix. And how do the '00 and '04 Tundra years compare?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back