My Poor, Innocent Jetta. Totaled or Not? You Be the Judge.

My poor unoffensive, innocent Jetta. Last night it was minding it's own business, parked unoccupied on the street, was hit hard on the rear/side by what I am guessing was a drunk driver in their beautiful, brand new 2023 Mazda CX-5. Their airbag deployed and apparently the car was unable to continue despite their best, dishonorable efforts.

So, the driver got out of the car and fled the scene down the street. The 5-0 showed up pretty quick but had not located the driver last I knew. However, we have the owner name and their insurance company so I imagine there will be more to the story.

Anyway, the nice police produced a good report for me that I filed with my insurance company, USAA, and dropped the car off to my autobody guy around the corner. My guess is the USAA estimate person will look at it on Monday.

What do ya'll think? Repairable? Maybe, but worth it? The wheel is quite bent (indeed, broken) so my biggest concern is not the wheel or the panels but wondering about the state of the axle and everything else one can't see as much from these pictures. Welcome your views!

Jetta Rear Dec 1 2023 picture 1.jpeg
Jetta Rear Dec 1 2023 picture 2.jpeg

There is a possibility that the driver had stolen the Mazda but you're probably right about it being a drunk driver.
I agree that it's hard to see the posted picture.

Last edited:
Yes, it was late at night and dark. Better pictures likely forthcoming.

I'm thinking about what else to look for and ask in the repair process that one couldn't tell from a simple look. But maybe too hard to do from just these pictures.

No offense, but I think these "is it totaled" threads are stupid.

I appreciate your deep wisdom, insight, and the thought you put into this reply.

That looks repairable, that is a lot less damage that totaled my old Mazda3 in a rear-end collision. Hope insurance covers a rental car!

Lemme guess. A cellphone camera? Hmmm..... Not so great, are they, for taking photos.
Depends on the mode you use and the phone you have. A Pixel or my S22 Ultra would make that clear as day...

Just have to hold the phone still. There's a reason modern phones have 4+ cameras. Can even take night shots with light pointed at the camera.

1000002290.jpg

According to KKB, retail value with average miles is $11-12K. Doesn't look anywhere near that much damage.
Thanks for this. That was my thinking. I'm curious what sort of labor and efforts to correct. It's not a simple 'rear end' or front bumper etc.

Heading over for lighted pictures in a few minutes.

Your poor pic is not enough for "me to be the judge". I would sentence whoever took that pick to hard labor for 6 months. Sentence will be suspended if better photos are submitted. 😂

i think the rear suspension is a twist beam rear axle, so once you undo all the shocks, springs, hoses, and sensors the whole rear axle should drop out pretty easily.

Your poor pic is not enough for "me to be the judge". I would sentence whoever took that pick to hard labor for 6 months. Sentence will be suspended if better photos are submitted. 😂
I suppose I could sentence the police but that would probably be counterproductive for me.

Stay tuned sports fans.

My guess is the USAA estimate person will look at it on Monday.
USAA is good, but even they will slow-walk this compared to your expectations. Took me a month to get a number out of another insurer for the bumper scratch on my kids' camry. Took two weeks for the police report!

Back