$200 budget air compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Update

Just pick up 21 gal air compressor and 3 ton steel floor jack ( I know I know it heavy and most prefers aluminum . But I like steel then aluminum
smile.gif
))

I have few new question .

How do I break in the air compressor and I also bought a quart oil for it . How often should I change the oil on first use ?

Any one recommend me a kits include hose and bunch of fitting tool for air up car tires . Motorcycle or basketball .....

Also need an impact air tool to remove lug nut . Any good brand ?

Thanks

Have you read the owners manual cover to cover yet? There should be instructions for setting it up. Actually I'm kind of surprised that you had to buy a quart of oil and that the compressor didn't come with one...

There are a ton of resources on breaking in compressors, less than 10 seconds of googling found me stuff.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1942645

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_zxhYQ7mTc

Note the recommendation from hf to retorque the head bolts.

thanks old man, I was busy at work, dint have much time doing some research, since im here might as well ask some yall pro
smile.gif

stop again after work at HF to pick up some 50 feet hose and few other air tool kit. got home and feel lazy to take open the box of the compressor, imma do it tomorrow :), tonight imma just chill, eating steak and enjoy a beer or 2
smile.gif

btw I note the video say using quality oil, is Harbor Freight central pneumatic oil good enought or other brand you guys recommend ?

Last edited:

thanks old man, I was busy at work, dint have much time doing some research, since im here might as well ask some yall pro
smile.gif

stop again after work at HF to pick up some 50 feet hose and few other air tool kit. got home and feel lazy to take open the box of the compressor, imma do it tomorrow :), tonight imma just chill, eating steak and enjoy a beer or 2
smile.gif

btw I note the video say using quality oil, is Harbor Freight central pneumatic oil good enought or other brand you guys recommend ?

Didnt know that early 30s qualifies me as an "old man"
smile.gif
Unfortunately Im working the weekend too. UGH!! 12+ hour days doing research. Smartphones let me take a mind off and multitask when experiments are running.

I personally have found Amsoil compressor oil to be great. Break it in on anything, since youre dumping it after 30-60 minutes. But after maybe a little bit of use on another run of any old compressor oil or ND oil (wat does the OM state?) then Id move to the good stuff!

smile.gif

smile.gif

Didnt know that early 30s qualifies me as an "old man"
smile.gif
Unfortunately Im working the weekend too. UGH!! 12+ hour days doing research. Smartphones let me take a mind off and multitask when experiments are running.

I personally have found Amsoil compressor oil to be great. Break it in on anything, since youre dumping it after 30-60 minutes. But after maybe a little bit of use on another run of any old compressor oil or ND oil (wat does the OM state?) then Id move to the good stuff!

yes you sound cranky like an old man some time. Anyway AMSOILS hmmm, any other quality brand that I can get localy that better then factory HF one ?

Ha!! Ill take that as a compliment!

What does the OM specifically ask for? Can a regular PCMO be used, or does it specify ND or compressor-specific oil?

That will drive your decision... Lots of good syn PCMOs that you could consider, if they allow that. Not many ND oils out there easily accessible that are syn and all... Obviously you can get amsoil compressor oil quickly by mail from Pablo, but there may be other brands, not sure...

What does the OM specifically ask for? Can a regular PCMO be used, or does it specify ND or compressor-specific oil?

That will drive your decision... Lots of good syn PCMOs that you could consider, if they allow that. Not many ND oils out there easily accessible that are syn and all... Obviously you can get amsoil compressor oil quickly by mail from Pablo, but there may be other brands, not sure...

the manual say oil type : SAE 30W non-detergent Air Compressor Oil . any brand name synthetic oil I can buy local that is good.

and you right, the tank does come with a bottle of oil attach to power core, but I dont mind running good synthetic oil from first start.

what size hose I need ?and what brand and kind ( rubber or poly ) I saw they had couple different size, what is best size for run air tool ( change tires, lug nut.. maintaince around car/truck .., air up tires.. ) about lenght i think 50 feet should be plenty for me

the manual say oil type : SAE 30W non-detergent Air Compressor Oil . any brand name synthetic oil I can buy local that is good.

and you right, the tank does come with a bottle of oil attach to power core, but I dont mind running good synthetic oil from first start.

Since you have some Id just use it. While car engines have come a long way, I doubt that the casting on a cheapest chinese compressor that has to have head bolts retorqued is that good...

So break in on that oil, get any ND30 oil from a name brand supplier at the auto parts store for a second run (maybe 30 minutes) then switch to Amsoil. Youll have plenty of time to order it.

I dont know of any syn ND30 available in stores. I do know that when I put the Amsoil into my compressor, it ran much cooler.

Since you have some Id just use it. While car engines have come a long way, I doubt that the casting on a cheapest chinese compressor that has to have head bolts retorqued is that good...

So break in on that oil, get any ND30 oil from a name brand supplier at the auto parts store for a second run (maybe 30 minutes) then switch to Amsoil. Youll have plenty of time to order it.

I dont know of any syn ND30 available in stores. I do know that when I put the Amsoil into my compressor, it ran much cooler.

sound like plan. now come to hose , I dont know what size hose is best for me.

and 3 ton floor jack, do they require oil change or breaking in ?

You are joking? Right?

Originally Posted By: jcwit

You are joking? Right?

haha no. I did get off my lazy butt and pop the box, seem like it just need bleed the air, It dint say anything about oil change require

Well, you are kind of constrained by the threading on the tank/regulator/quick connects as to what you can use. There are only so many choices. Ive seen US made Goodyear air hose at HF, one of the few domestic products sold there. Id look at the quick disconnect that youll install on your air gun. What size thread is that? Then look at the opposite end on that hose. Whatever the thread size, Id personally buy the largest diameter but shortest practical length (probably 25 or 50 ft) to do the job.

Well, you are kind of constrained by the threading on the tank/regulator/quick connects as to what you can use. There are only so many choices. Ive seen US made Goodyear air hose at HF, one of the few domestic products sold there. Id look at the quick disconnect that youll install on your air gun. What size thread is that? Then look at the opposite end on that hose. Whatever the thread size, Id personally buy the largest diameter but shortest practical length (probably 25 or 50 ft) to do the job.

I went in today, with good year part # and they pull up HF brand that made in india, I guess I have to order from amazon.

Ck out the 1/2 Earthquake impact gun. It's often on sale for $70ish and it will do anything you want it to. I've been "testing" one at work for about a year now. I liked it so much that I bought a 2nd one for home.

BTW it's not made in China.

You worry about the country of manufacture for an air hose with a chinese compressor?

Yea why not ?

Well my pay check is a bit extra then I though today . So I order 60 gallon craftsman pro series on sale for 500$ . Regular price was $700+ . My buddy at yank yard / body shop have one for 8+ year and he using it every day . He also using good year hose . So yes I try find the good year hose and nothing else

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Ck out the 1/2 Earthquake impact gun. It's often on sale for $70ish and it will do anything you want it to. I've been "testing" one at work for about a year now. I liked it so much that I bought a 2nd one for home.

Good to know. Thanks for the tips

You worry about the country of manufacture for an air hose with a chinese compressor?

Yea why not ?

Well my pay check is a bit extra then I though today . So I order 60 gallon craftsman pro series on sale for 500$ . Regular price was $700+ . My buddy at yank yard / body shop have one for 8+ year and he using it every day . He also using good year hose . So yes I try find the good year hose and nothing else

So is the Craftsman US made? I assume it is a Devilbiss or CH that is rebranded? Good for you if youre trying to find good stuff made HERE, even if it is something as simple as a hose.

Are you going to do the plumbing and wiring for it?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm betting the craftsman is made in china also as most of their products now are. May need to pop into sears tomorrow.

Never assume anything.

Well I've seen cast iron heads, even in HD that say USA on them... Of course they may be from the city USA, China.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

+1, I have the previous model of the earthquake 1/2 and it's a great air gun. You need a compressor with a rating of 5.0 cfm to keep up with it.

Regards, JC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back