$200 budget air compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the Hitachi EC89 awhile back on sale at Lowes for $159. Has been an excellent compressor so far. Only minor complaint is the barely decent dipstick as a sight glass would be much better.

If the compressors at Harbor Freight are so bad wonder how its possible for them to keep offering the same basic models year after year after year.

Don't try to tell me its because the sell for so little. If that was the case the YUGO would still be available.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So youre saying that the throw away mentality for Chinese junk doesn't exist?

Been down this road before with you. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Let it go guy!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So youre saying that the throw away mentality for Chinese junk doesn't exist?

i think I've destroyed 4 or 5 HF socket adapters. i just buy more and live life. *shrug*

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND ANYONE, STAY AWAY FROM HARBOR FREIGHT AIR COMPRESSORS.. even the sales staff at harbor freight say "just go buy a Craftsman" they say they get ALOT of returns..

most of the internet disagrees with you, but thanks for the opinion.

Its Not my personal opinion, i know the folks pretty well at my local HF and i go there once a week for deals, when i purchased mine (compressor) i asked them point blank and they said "We get alot of returns on air compressors, If your planning to use it alot save yourself the return and go buy a Craftsman" This was from one of the long term employees i know and trust his opinion on the products they carry. If im ever unsure about buying something at HF there are about 3 employees there i trust to point me in the right direction..
p.s. Sorry about the caps on that post, after i typed it out i noticed and simply didnt feel like taking the time to retype.

Man alive, you need to go to Harbor Freight once to get deals? Are you short on tool or just break that many? While I like some H/F items and buy their stuff, once every other month or so is plenty.

My H/F compressor has been in use now for over 10 years with no problems.

I have alot of project and they have alot of stuff (out local HF has alot more than just tools) Im a bit of a jack of many trades and often ((very often)) find myself in need of odds and ends that are one time uses or its just so much cheaper there its the place to go ! I get alot of HF coupons so I take extra advantage.. once a week may be a strech but atleast a few times a month im there.. Love that place.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND ANYONE, STAY AWAY FROM HARBOR FREIGHT AIR COMPRESSORS.. even the sales staff at harbor freight say "just go buy a Craftsman" they say they get ALOT of returns..

most of the internet disagrees with you, but thanks for the opinion.

Its Not my personal opinion, i know the folks pretty well at my local HF and i go there once a week for deals, when i purchased mine (compressor) i asked them point blank and they said "We get alot of returns on air compressors, If your planning to use it alot save yourself the return and go buy a Craftsman" This was from one of the long term employees i know and trust his opinion on the products they carry. If im ever unsure about buying something at HF there are about 3 employees there i trust to point me in the right direction..
p.s. Sorry about the caps on that post, after i typed it out i noticed and simply didnt feel like taking the time to retype.

Man alive, you need to go to Harbor Freight once to get deals? Are you short on tool or just break that many? While I like some H/F items and buy their stuff, once every other month or so is plenty.

My H/F compressor has been in use now for over 10 years with no problems.

Yep im there alot, ive got so many free circuit testers, flashlights, screwdriver sets, etc that its almost funny (i have a little spot in my garage where i hang all the free-bees i get from there.. ive easily got 7-10 of each product.. looks like im starting my own store.. I give them away as prizes (shooting comp's at my place) stocking stuffers for wifes sisters boyfriends (new ones every year.. you name it, have extra free-bees from HF hanging in your garage can be really usefull.. AND, yeah im a bit of a jack of many trades, i save a ton of cash buying cheap stuff for one or two time uses instead of buying there much more expensive higher quality compitition.. about 90% of the time i win by getting the jobs done without spending big $$$

Those little freebe flashlites are one of the handiest offers I've ever been able to take advantage of. Just be sure to open them up and take the carbon cell batteries out before they leak.

Those little freebe flashlites are one of the handiest offers I've ever been able to take advantage of. Just be sure to open them up and take the carbon cell batteries out before they leak.

Am I the only one who feels a bit silly putting costly batteries in a cheapo flashlight?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Am I the only one who feels a bit silly putting costly batteries in a cheapo flashlight?

I use NiMH rechargeable batteries in all my battery needs except for cameras, which I get better results with a full 1.5 volt battery.

I have a small harbor freight air compressor and it's been fine for many years but I don't use it that often as I have an 80 gallon compressor in the shop. That said, if you want to run air tools air storage is key, and a oil bath compressor IMO is much better in terms of longivity and reduced vibration. I agree with a previous post that you want at least a 20 gallon storage tank. I would not hesitate to buy the 21 gallon oil bath compressor from harbor freight for your purposes, and it is within your budget. If you are worried you can get an extended warrantee.

Any print out coupon online that give discount for HF air compressor . I saw one on a truck magazine that give 30 or 40 dollar off . Should I buy the magazine just for the coupon ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Any print out coupon online that give discount for HF air compressor . I saw one on a truck magazine that give 30 or 40 dollar off . Should I buy the magazine just for the coupon ?

Sorry, that is something you will have to decide for yourself.

Sorry, that is something you will have to decide for yourself.

I bought that magazine . It say I can use in stored or online . How is online work in these coupon ? I want order online so I can just pick it up after work or shipped it to my work . Cause the HF stored is 45 min away from me

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I use NiMH rechargeable batteries in all my battery needs except for cameras, which I get better results with a full 1.5 volt battery.

OT: 1.2V NiMH are rated for 1.2V under load, while the impedance of a 1.5V alkaline could well take its voltage down below 1.2V for the same load. Maybe not for the camera itself, but NiMh AA is all I use for the high power flash I use on my DSLR, and its 300V boost pack.

Update

Just pick up 21 gal air compressor and 3 ton steel floor jack ( I know I know it heavy and most prefers aluminum . But I like steel then aluminum
smile.gif
))

I have few new question .

How do I break in the air compressor and I also bought a quart oil for it . How often should I change the oil on first use ?

Any one recommend me a kits include hose and bunch of fitting tool for air up car tires . Motorcycle or basketball .....

Also need an impact air tool to remove lug nut . Any good brand ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Not sure about down where you're at, b ut up here in No.Indiana, pawn shops ARE the go to place for impact wrenches. A couple of months ago I picked up a like new AmPro at our local pawn shop for $29.00. Works great on every lug nut I tried it on.

Not sure about down where you're at, b ut up here in No.Indiana, pawn shops ARE the go to place for impact wrenches. A couple of months ago I picked up a like new AmPro at our local pawn shop for $29.00. Works great on every lug nut I tried it on.

Imma check that out

Update

Just pick up 21 gal air compressor and 3 ton steel floor jack ( I know I know it heavy and most prefers aluminum . But I like steel then aluminum
smile.gif
))

I have few new question .

How do I break in the air compressor and I also bought a quart oil for it . How often should I change the oil on first use ?

Any one recommend me a kits include hose and bunch of fitting tool for air up car tires . Motorcycle or basketball .....

Also need an impact air tool to remove lug nut . Any good brand ?

Thanks

Have you read the owners manual cover to cover yet? There should be instructions for setting it up. Actually I'm kind of surprised that you had to buy a quart of oil and that the compressor didn't come with one...

There are a ton of resources on breaking in compressors, less than 10 seconds of googling found me stuff.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1942645

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_zxhYQ7mTc

Note the recommendation from hf to retorque the head bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back