Top Tier vs. Cheapest gas + Techron

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't justify using Top Tier gas AND Techron. There shouldn't be any need for Techron from a bottle if Top Tier is as good as suggested. That said, what about just using the cheapest gas and Techron every so often. This is especially pertinent to people who do a ton of miles, as there's a pretty big price difference between the cheapest gas (Citgo, Marathon, etc) and Top Tier stations.

I use USA Gasoline in So Cal, it's usually about 5-10 cents a gallon less than Top Tier, Techron is added to the fuel tank once every other year.

Originally Posted By: Fission
USA Gas is listed as a Top Tier retailer.

That is U.S. Oil, not USA Gasoline. The "USA" at the top of the list is the country, not a retailer.

Back to the OP, Top Tier is a performance standard that allows for deposits at lower levels than gas meeting the minimum EPA requirements but does not leave zero deposits so a bottle of Techron should prove beneficial but might not be need as often as if you use lower quality gas.

Last edited:
I have an '09 Subaru Forester with 142,000+ miles on it and I have used 99% non top tier gas. I used a bottle of Techron once a LONG time ago and I've been meaning to use it again, but I just haven't. I have no issues, nor have I ever in any vehicle. I think gas and oil are pretty much the same... there isn't much difference, despite the fact that same companies pay to have their fuel labeled as Top Tier. I believe that adding a bottle to our tank just makes us feel good to be honest.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
The "USA" at the top of the list is the country, not a retailer.

blush.gif
Thanks. It's obvious now that you've pointed it out.

I don't use top tier gas or additives. Zero problems. I think it's marketing hogwash.

I only have one Top Tier option here (Mobil), but the nearest station is no more expensive than the non-Top Tier brands. In fact, it was actually cheaper than the nearest Sunoco or Noco stations for a few weeks! I don't know why this is such an issue or a few cents makes a difference.

I also think a lot of fuels like BP or Sunoco probably aren't that far off Top Tier and just refuse to pay for the testing/license...

Yep, one bottle every 6 months is what I do. No fuel related issues that plague high mileage cars like evap codes, misfires, rough idles, P0420's, etc. PEA is the way to go. I've been using the Gumout all-in-one recently. Its Got PEA, and similar to Redline with UCL. But the main reason is the foil. Has a tab to remove it fully, rather than worry about pieces getting into the fuel system.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I only have one Top Tier option here (Mobil), but the nearest station is no more expensive than the non-Top Tier brands. In fact, it was actually cheaper than the nearest Sunoco or Noco stations for a few weeks! I don't know why this is such an issue or a few cents makes a difference.

I also think a lot of fuels like BP or Sunoco probably aren't that far off Top Tier and just refuse to pay for the testing/license...
Mobil, in this area, often matches prices with the rest of the pack. I use it when the price is close to the 7/11 stuff.

Fuel additives are either called for nor are they desirable. All the additives the engine needs is already in the fuel. Sometimes some additives do more harm than good. (I used to work in a lab for major fuel supplier).

I think cheapo+(techron, regane, redline, etc.) is likely fine. I'm currently doing Hyvee 91 (no ethanol) and slightly increased Gumout AIO usage to see how it works for me.

I do not think Top Tier is enough on its own. Obviously companies like Conoco, Shell, Costco and BP all feel and have done some testing to show that Top Tier wasn't enough. They all use MORE detergent levels, and quite a bit more at that, than what Top Tier requires.

Last edited:
My Hyundai Genesis Tau 5.0 calls for an additive every 7,500 miles. The stuff you get at Hyundai is re-badged Techron; what do I do? Pick up a bottle of Techron at WM every 7,500 miles.

Our Shell top-tier station has the poorest perfoming fuel which is local to me - this isnt policed adequately so its near meaningless AFAIC. In practice I would say top tier added detergency would not over come a poor formualtion batch and regional fuel typically come from the same depot with only the detergency and brand characteristic "boosters" providing variation.
Pick a consistent performing fuel stop and stay with them, regardless of appellation. I cant get a break up here constantly getting bad tanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whip
I don't use top tier gas or additives. Zero problems. I think it's marketing hogwash.

Bingo.
My parents use whichever and whatever gas is most convenient over the last 30 years and I can't think of a single time where gasoline was the problem.

Is there a difference between Shell and other top tiers? Yes but not as big a difference to call one brand dangerous or garbage.

I think individual/per case gasoline stations is where the quality can be off.
Since gas stations are individually owned and maintained. -A lazy or neglectful gas station owner is where bad gas can come from.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: bvance554

01.gif

My problem with people who think like this is that their results don't mean much. Poor results can show something is bad, but lack of bad results doesn't necessarily make something good or better than something else.

With this line of thinking, you could argue smoking is healthy and the anti-smoking campaign is just hogwash because many people lived to be 90+ years old and smoked every day.

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek
My Hyundai Genesis Tau 5.0 calls for an additive every 7,500 miles. The stuff you get at Hyundai is re-badged Techron; what do I do? Pick up a bottle of Techron at WM every 7,500 miles.

Yep, Hyundai and Kia have TSB's recommending and approving Techron use. Throws a wrench in the recent comments that appear to be a tad misinformed. Remember who they are, they will eventually post with a "random misfire", "evap", or "rough idle" thread down the road.

One bottle every 6 months is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back