New battery: Duracell Procell or EverStart MAXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all -

My '06 Mini Cooper S needs a new battery. From what I've gathered on the web, I'm down to these choices...

AutoZone Duralast Gold (Johnson Controls, 3yr warranty / 2yr pro-rate, $155)
+ Autozone available every, decent/good quality
- pricy

Duracell Procell (DEKA East Penn, 3yr warranty / no pro-rate, $135)
+ possibly best quality of the 3 batteries ???
- very few BatteryPlus stores around

Walmart EverStart MAXX (Johnson Controls, 3yr warranty / 2yr pro-rate, $110)
+ Walmart available everywhere, least expensive
- iffy quality ???

I'd like your opinions/inputs since I'm not familiar with these brands, the quality of Johnson Controls or DEKA East Penn.

Thanks!

At least you stayed away from Exide.They filed chapter 11 again,and if they dont get 50 million dollars from the banks to keep going,they are toast.

Bosch Premium Battery at Pep Boys is highly rated by Consumer Report, the largest size BCI-49 is $114 and they have 20% off for any regular price item with code "20FORDAD", they also have free installation. Your size may be a little less.

Bosch Premium Battery has 3 years warranty and possibly 96 months pro-rate.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
At least you stayed away from Exide.They filed chapter 11 again,and if they dont get 50 million dollars from the banks to keep going,they are toast.

Really? So who supplies batteries for Champion now that Exide is gone?

AutoZone and the Walmart battery are likely carbon copy identical. The second one lacks the prorated warranty and costs more, so it would have to be substantially better in quality then the other two to be worth it. QED; its probably not, given the JCI ones are fantastic.

Iffy quality? Nein. I have only ever used the EverStart MAXX by JCI; they're fantastic in the Canadian north at least.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
AutoZone and the Walmart battery are likely carbon copy identical. The second one lacks the prorated warranty and costs more, so it would have to be substantially better in quality then the other two to be worth it. QED; its probably not, given the JCI ones are fantastic.

Iffy quality? Nein. I have only ever used the EverStart MAXX by JCI; they're fantastic in the Canadian north at least.

I might be mistaken with the MAXX line.... it's the EverStart line w/o MAXX is of lower quality ???

Johnson Controls and DEKA/East Penn both have very good reputations. We use both brands in the telecom field to provide the source for our -48V DC-powered optical and network equipment.

Originally Posted By: Bugzii
Originally Posted By: RiceCake

I might be mistaken with the MAXX line.... it's the EverStart line w/o MAXX is of lower quality ???

Nearest I can tell, EverStart has been back and forth on suppliers. I'm unsure who makes the regular "non MAXX" batteries. I know even the MAXX batteries at one time were sourced by Exide I believe.

I've only ever bought ones with the 45-degree angled vent caps listed as being from Johnson Control Industries; always been flawless :p

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
If it isn't the biggest optima redtop possible, it doesn't go in my vehicle. Amazon has them in 130-190.range.

Didn't Optima quality go downhill since Johnson Controls take-over???

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
When did Walmart go back to having a Pro-rate? Last I checked, it was just the free replacement period.

It's on their website (as linked). Hope the info is current.

I'd call and double check. Im pretty sure the batteries just say "3 year free replacement" on them, still. I know it was a big thing when they went away from having a pro-rate while I was working there.

Last edited:
I have not had good results with either the Durastart Gold or the Everstart Maxx. OTOH, my Subaru OE battery lasted 6 years.

I put a Motorcraft battery in the Audi this year. Cheaper than a Neverstart MAXX, 3 year free/ 96 month prorated warranty, and I got it at my local Auto Value/Bumper to Bumper store. A local Ford dealer might be the better option if you don't have a B2B near you.

BXL47P is the part number and it's $80 at my local B2B. It's only an 84 month warranty, though.

If you order the AAP online and use one of the $40 off $100 codes it'll be a better deal than the EverStart because of the prorated warranty, that's what I generally use (Silver or Gold, they're both good).

UPDATE...

I've stopped by Autozone, Walmart and O'reilly to make sure the battery specs, warranties and prices are correct. There're some errors on the websites. Except for O'Reilley, they've all dropped the Pro-rate part of the warranty.

CAR: 2006 Mini Cooper S

AutoZone Duralast Gold (Johnson Controls, 3yr warranty / NO pro-rate, $155)
+ Autozone available every, decent/good quality
- pricy... this is no longer on my list as it looks exactly the same as Walmart Everstart MAXX, made in Mexico.

Walmart Everstart MAXX (Johnson Controls, 3yr warranty / NO pro-rate, $100)
+ Walmart available everywhere, least expensive
- iffy quality ???

Duracell Procell (DEKA East Penn, 3yr warranty / NO pro-rate, $139)
+ possibly best quality of the 3 batteries ???
- very few BatteryPlus stores around

There're two more options...

O'Reilly Super Start Platinum (AGM) (made in the US... is this a DEKA?? 3yr warranty / 5yr pro-rate, $155)
+ same price as AZ Duralast Gold but an AGM battery with better warranty
Questions: Is AGM really better? Does it require higher charge voltage? My alternator is at 14.0v. I like the idea that it doesn't leak acid because the battery location is in the trunk.

AutoZone Duralast (distributed by Best Parts, Inc. Memphis, TN, 2yr warranty / NO pro-rate, $115)
*This is an oddball. The case looks like a DEKA battery sold under the Duracell Procell label but it's 1/2" shorter. Specs are better than OEM battery. There's no sticker indicating where it's made but it's distributed by Best Parts Inc., which I've read is an Autozone brand when it doesn't want to reveal the supplier.

Here are the pics... Duracell Procell (DEKA) and AZ Duralast.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Super Start Platinum from O'Reilly if AGM is not a hype... and the oddball Duralast that looks exactly like a DEKA.

Sorry for dragging this out... I didn't know so much has changed in the battery business and technology.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back