Randolph Engineering Sunglasses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here have a pair of sunglasses from Randolph Engineering? I'm in the market for a pair of Aviator-style sunglasses and a co-worked turned me on to these. Reviews are also very, very good and their prices are reasonable.

I'm looking at their Aviator model with a matte chrome frame. I'm just not sure yet about which temple style (i.e. Bayonet or Skull - I'm leaning towards the standard Skull) and lens (i.e. polorized or not - I'm leaning towards their gray/green AGX which is not).

I have a pair from around 1998. Still have them. Got bayonet and they do tend to fall off easily if they're on and you look down. Maybe that's a sizing issue too?

Mine weren't polarized, but polarized sunglasses are nice outside, bad for driving. The reason is that there is a polarization coating on many display screens in cars.

I have a pair of Serengeti aviators too. I get a few funny glares/reflections behind the lens. They are good otherwise, and have a gradient tint which is good for looking at stuff in the car.

The thing with aviators and driving though is that supposedly the eye pads can get slammed into your eye sockets and cause damage from airbags.

I have a pair, as does my Dad. Get the polarized ones -- totally worth it in pretty much all conditions.

It's a classic look that's been around for decades. Jon Hamm wears them in Mad Men, and all the guys in Top Gun wore them too.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have a pair of Serengeti aviators too. I get a few funny glares/reflections behind the lens. They are good otherwise, and have a gradient tint which is good for looking at stuff in the car.

The thing with aviators and driving though is that supposedly the eye pads can get slammed into your eye sockets and cause damage from airbags.

Serengetis are unique in that the lenses are photochromic, meaning they lighten and darken. I have a pair and they do work really well for those days when it's partly overcast. The tint also sharpens things up.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Serengetis are unique in that the lenses are photochromic, meaning they lighten and darken. I have a pair and they do work really well for those days when it's partly overcast.

Yeah, I once had a pair of glasses with photochromic lenses and loved the lightening/darkening aspect of them... when outside. But they didn't work worth squat in the car.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: dparm
Serengetis are unique in that the lenses are photochromic, meaning they lighten and darken. I have a pair and they do work really well for those days when it's partly overcast.

Yeah, I once had a pair of glasses with photochromic lenses and loved the lightening/darkening aspect of them... when outside. But they didn't work worth squat in the car.

They're not going to go from full-on clear to totally dark. It's supposed to be subtle and slow.

I have been wearing them for about 20 years. on my 2nd pair now after I left my first pair on the boat/trailer. You know the rest. I'm actually looking for somebody that can make and fit prescription lens to these frames. The bayonet style work good with helmets, which I suspect they were designed to work with.
I have also noticed that the price has gone up 3X since 1995 when I bought my last pair for $36.00. Now it seems they run around $100.00. The sizing will help them stay on your head. I have the 52mm lens.

The same design was / is produced by AO (American Optical), which I was told by a friend (former Huey instructor pilot in the 60's) were the original issue, back them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JetStar
The same design was / is produced by AO (American Optical), which I was told by a friend (former Huey instructor pilot in the 60's) were the original issue, back them.

Yes, looking at AO this morning, their "Original Pilot Sunglasses" appear to be nearly identical to Randolph's Aviator model. And a pair with polarized lenses can be had for $50 less than the same configuration Randolph glasses. I just wonder about AO's quality and construction.

I have a pair of USAF issue Randolf Engineering sunglasses. The lens color is good and the build quality is good. The bayonet temples work great with a helmet but I didn't care for the way they fit without a helmet on; they protruded away from my head quite a bit.

As Spasm3 mentioned, If you like anything Oakley offers they make the best fitting glasses I've worn.

I fly with classic Randolf Aviators, with brown/dark amber lenses. And, while I like 'em, they are not my favorite.

They have a few advantages for flying. First, the bayonet temples are great for ease of removal with headphones, helmets or hats. Absolutely necessary for my type of flyin.

Second, the non polarized "tan" lenses, which I consider brown/dk amber are great for certain conditions. Such as lightly overcast, but bright days.

However, they do affect color vision with the "tan" tint. I much prefer gray tinted lenses for everyday use.

Mechanically, they have held up well and the lenses remain crisp, 10 years on. I do see a bit of corrosion under the bayonet plastic. But that happens to all my glasses here in sweaty S. Florida.

After all is said and done, my fav's are my "Kenneth Cole" custom glasses from the local eye doc. Gray, polarized and not too dark, with a reading "feature" at the bottom. They really are the sharpest for my old eyes.

Never hear of them, in the boating circles Maui Jim are pretty nice and what I wear.

Maui Jim has some of the best lens technology on the market, I spent 5 weeks in the tropics this winter wearing them and they were fantastic.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
As Spasm3 mentioned, If you like anything Oakley offers they make the best fitting glasses I've worn.

ABSOLUTELY!
thumbsup2.gif

But, if one needs a prescription version (sunglass OR reading), they cost a king's (or CEOs/company owner's) ransom.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: tom slick

ABSOLUTELY!
thumbsup2.gif

But, if one needs a prescription version (sunglass OR reading), they cost a king's (or CEOs/company owner's) ransom.
frown.gif

You are right, i do get prescription oakleys i pay around 280-300 for the full boogy lenses. I'm starting not to like polarized lenses for driving, as i can't watch the other drives faces. Especially important on a motorcycle.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: JetStar
I'm actually looking for somebody that can make and fit prescription lens to these [RE] frames.

Hidalgo does.

I ordered a set of RX A.O.s today with transition lens, will get them in 2-3 weeks, will let you know how they work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back