long term reliability...GDI or Turbo engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Which engine would prove to be more reliable and trouble free over the life of the engine...a
GDI (Gas Direct Injection) engine or a turbo engine?

I am debating between the 2013 Chevy Cruze 1LT 1.4 turbo or the new 2014 KIA Forte EX 2.0 GDI
engine.

Thanks

Last edited:
It will become more and more difficult to get a turbo without DI too, but I'd vote for the Cruze. They seem to be holding up pretty well and the turbo engines seem to produce economy numbers sort-of close to EPA estimates, unlike their Ford counterparts.

I prefer the Cruze, but if you're buying new and taking care of it I am sure they'll both be good.

Originally Posted By: Azeem
Originally Posted By: dcf
Get the Cruze . Way better mpg.

+1 but more expensive?

Not really. Both can be had for around the same price. I have spent a fair amount of time in both and the Cruze is a better car IMO. Better mileage for sure and just a better feel for the road.

Thanks,
Dont you have to be more careful with a turbo? They run very HOT
and I read you have to let the engine cool down before turning off
engine.
Also, the folks on the Cruze forums are all saying the Cruze turbo
really runs best on premium fuel.

Morepwr,

I am talking about the brand new 2014 Forte EX, NOT the 2013 model..you have spend a lot of time driving this new model already??

Last edited:
I rented a brand new Cruze (31 miles) in Hawaii...impressed with the solid build, fit & finish, and fuel mileage, but a total deal-breaker for me was the loud, revving, thrashing machine engine and a tranny that constantly hunted gears shifting up-down-up-down on hills until I wanted to run it into the surf.

I prefer my current stable of a 2010 V6 AT Fusion @ 31 mpg and a 2012 1.6 dual clutch Veloster @ 37 mpg.

Flinter, DO NOT count out the Hyundai/KIA, I have seen a lot of "Hyundai/KIA haters" on this forum. I really think a lot of it stems from ignorance of the vehicles they make. I have the DI 2.4 and it has worked for us extremely well and according to UOA the engine wears like a NA Altima 2.5s.

Should you use a good 'syn'? YES M1/PP/PU/Edge/Synpower are all good oils to use in any turbo/GDI engine.

Originally Posted By: flinter
Thanks,
Dont you have to be more careful with a turbo? They run very HOT
and I read you have to let the engine cool down before turning off
engine.
Also, the folks on the Cruze forums are all saying the Cruze turbo
really runs best on premium fuel.

Morepwr,

I am talking about the brand new 2014 Forte EX, NOT the 2013 model..you have spend a lot of time driving this new model already??

You do not need to idle a turbo car any longer unless you run it in full boost (eg climbing highway hill) and then pull off to to rest stop and parking rapidly. Typically driving in sidestreets, parking lots or driveway etc is "idle down".

No idea. I have a 8 year/151,000 turbo car(250HP Legacy) that is a lot more high sprung than a Cruze. I have not have had a single engine or turbo problem with it.

I wouldn't worry about cooling the turbo down in a Cruze. They're oil and water cooled, so unless you're really thrashing the daylights out of it, cooling it down is not needed. I don't do anything special for mine. The minute or two of low-speed driving at the end of the vast majority of my trips is time enough. About the only time I deliberately cool it down is if it just climbed a large hill.

As I said on the Cruze boards, get the car that works better for you. I've had good experiences with Hyundai and with GM. The current-gen Elantra was totally bleh compared to the Cruze Eco MT, so I ended up with a Cruze. 60k miles and ~2 years later, I'm still enjoying the Cruze every bit as much as the day I drove it off the lot.

Thanks,
Its it true that you really should be using premium 93 octane in
the Cruze for best performance?

Thanks,

My Cruze 1.4T runs fine on regular but I just logged 37mpg using premium at 70 mph w AC on. With regular I get about 34 or 35 so the premium does seem to help mpg.
I have a 2011 1LT with the 6 speed A/T (not an Eco). The gear ratio was changed for 2012 to improve mpg so a 2013 should do even better than my 2011.
I wouldn't rule out the Focus either....it's a nice car that get's great mpg's too.
I got 40 mpg highway on one tankful in a rented 2012 (37 to 38 was the norm on the highway).

Turbochargers are more reliable than you think. Big difference in long term reliability with modern water cooled turbos vs the short lived junk of the 1980's. I own a WRX which I bought new. I have 126K on it, drive it like I stole it and it has the original turbo.

Thanks,

Unless your Cruze is tuned, 93 octane isn't required. Lots of folks are happy with the way it runs on their local 87 and 89 octane fuel. If you're really picky or drive in an environment where the differences between pre-detonation resistance will be tested, then give premium gas a try. It's like any other car. Run the lowest octane that makes the engine happy. For most bone-stock Cruzes, that's 87 or 89 octane.

My Cruze is tuned, so it requires 91+ octane. I love the way it runs on the tune, so that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back