long term reliability...GDI or Turbo engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: flinter
sciphi,
What do you mean when you say your Cruze is "tuned"?

probably a re-flash to take advantage of higher octane fuel
wink.gif

OP, your choice between a naturally aspirated GDI Mitsubishi engine or a 1.4L port injected turbo Opel engine is a bit Apples/Oranges.

n/a GDI
Pros- Consistent performance, throttle response, consistent mileage
Cons- Have they addressed long term issues like intake deposits? Is that Mitsu's job? Unknown long term quality.

Cruze 1.4 turbo
Pros- It's an Opel engine. Power fluctuates so you can catch it on a good day. No intake deposits to worry about.
Cons- Power fluctuates so it can let you down when you need it. Fuel economy can fluctuate just as much depending on driving, temperature, engine heat soak, ethanol content, ECU just being grumpy.

Choose wisely.

Originally Posted By: flinter
sciphi,
What do you mean when you say your Cruze is "tuned"?

Trifecta Performance reflash. It bumps the power and torque by about a third each, or ~36 hp and ~50 ft/lbs. That bumps the power to about 150 hp and 190 ft/lbs at the wheels when called upon. It has a stock-power daily driver setting. Most of the time I'm in the stock-power setting since the 1.4T is torquey enough to do most tasks below 3000 RPM, even at stock power levels. http://trifectaperformance.com/default.aspx

I haven't noticed any power fluctuations day to day. The engine is noticeably stronger (and thirstier) when it's cooler out, but that's been the case with all my cars. Colder intake air = more fuel = more power.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
[
I haven't noticed any power fluctuations day to day. The engine is noticeably stronger (and thirstier) when it's cooler out, but that's been the case with all my cars. Colder intake air = more fuel = more power.

Yeah, those turbos LOVE cold snappy air
smile.gif

If OP is anything like you, I'd suggest the Cruze for him.
Just some people, ie Sally Gasengo-McNooilchanges, don't understand the running conditions of turbo engines and how environmental variables can affect them. At least with the Cruze, he'll be able to take advantage of turbo-friendly conditions.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Originally Posted By: sciphi
[

Yeah, those turbos LOVE cold snappy air
smile.gif

I really noticed that today when it was 95F after sitting at a light. My Legacy GT felt maybe 50% of its normal kick in the pants acceleration taking off. However is it the AC compressor running like mad trying to cool the interior too?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Turbochargers are more reliable than you think. Big difference in long term reliability with modern water cooled turbos vs the short lived junk of the 1980's. I own a WRX which I bought new. I have 126K on it, drive it like I stole it and it has the original turbo.

My 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero will pass 180k shortly and has never had any problems (mechanical type) with the engine or turbocharger.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back