Honda HR214 Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys i got an 87 Honda HR214SX and i wanted to replace the oil in the transmission. I got it all out and apart.. oil was a grey sludge. cleaned up all the mess and now i want to put some new oil in there but there's no where for me to add oil once the two halves are back together? how am i supposed to add oil? Also what do you guys recommend for oil?

I assume this would take a grease rather than an oil. Some people add a grease fitting to the transmission case so they can add some periodically throughout the season. But with these types of drivetrains, you simply pack it with grease and assemble it.

Is this a 3-speed transmission?

From the DIY source: Remove the oil fill plug tip the machine on its side and drain the oil into a container. Tip it back on its wheels and pour 20 oz of 30W oil into the fill hole. Dispose of the old oil you are good to go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
From the DIY source: Remove the oil fill plug tip the machine on its side and drain the oil into a container. Tip it back on its wheels and pour 20 oz of 30W oil into the fill hole. Dispose of the old oil you are good to go.

uhh read the post better?

he was talking about the transmission not the engine oil.

+1 for most likely just pack it with grease as you reassemble.

FF11, there should be a top vent or drain plug, where you fill it flipped over.

Keep in mind the #1 cause of failure on these Honda push mower hydrostatic drives isn't the drives themselves, it's the axle bushings.

The bushings are where the axles protrude from the deck and wheel adjustment assemblies. These bushings corrode, get dirty and bind-up over time putting so much load on the drive, that they wear out.

Do a search, they're easy to get at and clean up or replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back