Trying to follow instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was quite content to wait patiently until i drive the full 1500 miles w/Auto RX before changing oil and doing the rinse cycle.

But now someone shows me that the washer behind the drain cap of the oil pan is broken! Geez! It's always something! What are the odds of that happening?

I should be OK, i'll just watch it.

I'm trying to follow directions with A-Rx, but i must have added a quart and a half of oil to my 3quart capacity civic since i put A-Rx in. I must have dilluted the stuff quite a bit. Oh well.

I'll be real curious to see if the pinging returns when i go back off the premium octane gas.

If you're really concerned about the broken drain plug washer you might be able to pinkie a little RTV around it and then just pick it off when you remove the plug to drain.

thanks porcupine, i don't have much more to go. think i'll just wait till the oil change.

Wayne, i have Auto RX in the engine. I can't put a new washer in without dumping the A-Rx prematurely.

Well you can if you have quick enough hands
smile.gif
And a big thumb
wink.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

If I were you, I would drain the oil into a suitable clean container, replace the drain plug/washer combo, then pour the oil back into the pan via the dipstick tube. How's that?
smile.gif

I've also replaced a drain plug using Blue_Goose's method. Didn't lose very much at all.

It is easy on a cold engine to remove the drain plug and gasket, put your thumb over the hole, have a helper put a new gasket on the plug, and put the plug back into the drain hole. You'll only lose an ounce or two of oil.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back