2v2usea.jpg

The below 3 pictures of the media rotated 90 degrees clockwise at a time

2hoiibd.jpg

11acumb.jpg

vony2c.jpg

20gd0ue.jpg

The ADBV appeared to be very pliable.

2yoc2kn.jpg

Conclusion Purolator Classics are an excellent value, media looked great. $3.27 @ Walmart

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Conclusion Purolator Classics are an excellent value ...

Could not agree more.

In fact, I'll extend this concept a bit further ...

Most filters from any reputable source are more than capable for any OCI a traditional plan would put them into. Any filter (properly chosen for application to spec) has enough capacity and efficiency to well protect the equipment in a normal OCI. Evidence even shows that OCIs past what is defined as "normal" still exhibits decent protection. (This is presuming sound mechanical conditions of the equipment and not known sludgers, etc).

Therefore, paying any more money than necessary for a decent filter is wasteful, because "average" filters are way more than "good enough".

Not suprised by your evidence; I expect as much from a decent brand like Purolator.

Last edited:
Very nice looking filter. The quality of construction for a $3 filter can't be beat.

Lookin' good! Purolator consistently makes me happy with their quality.

It's also great that I can get oil and a filter for Mom's Grand Prix for ~$20 at WM.

Last edited:
Lookin' good.
I've got a couple of Puro Classics on my Jeeps right now. One of the better values in filters right now.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Conclusion Purolator Classics are an excellent value ...

Could not agree more.

In fact, I'll extend this concept a bit further ...

Most filters from any reputable source are more than capable for any OCI a traditional plan would put them into. Any filter (properly chosen for application to spec) has enough capacity and efficiency to well protect the equipment in a normal OCI. Evidence even shows that OCIs past what is defined as "normal" still exhibits decent protection. (This is presuming sound mechanical conditions of the equipment and not known sludgers, etc).

Therefore, paying any more money than necessary for a decent filter is wasteful, because "average" filters are way more than "good enough".

Not suprised by your evidence; I expect as much from a decent brand like Purolator.
I don't consider a couple of bucks extra for a top of the line filter a waste. Of course I keep cars and bikes a while.

Last edited:
Spending an extra $10 - $15 per year for a higher quality synthetic oil and filter is well worth it in the long-run.

In the long-run, maintenance never costs you!

I'm more interested in seeing the paper. If you would remove the paper and stretch it out, then you will see just what it caught. A good indication of the condition of the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Are you referring to a FU,P1, M1, etc., as a comparison to the Purolator Classic, as the filters that are a waste of money?
Or, the Classic as being a good choice in the MC, OCOD, ProSelect, etc., class of lower tier filters? In this class, I would choose the MC all day long.
smile.gif

The Classics are very good filters and tremendous "bang for the buck". In this size though, another 72 cents at Wally's gets you a FL-400S silicone ADBV and a thread end bypass, so that would be my choice.

On the flip side, the Classic boasts a little better efficiency than the MC, 97+ percent vs about 94 percent.

It looks good, as always thanks for cutting and posting!

OK, here is a shot of the media. It caught a bit, I doubt it is even close to the mass of a paper clip, much much less than its capacity I'd reckon.

1zz0qoj.jpg

I was looking at other sections of media and some areas had more junk, so here's another section with more particles. I must say I'm a rookie at this so of course I made the bonehead mistake of cutting the filter open upside down so some pieces of the can most likely are on the media. Next one I cut open will be done horizontally. It will be the Fram HM3600

f00t9s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back