PQIA"s synthetic find

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't judge an oils performance entirely off of data like this. You'd have to run them through engine testing.

I would have liked to have seen M1 EP/AFE tested just for the NOACK.

IMO, PU is the top of the line oil right now. However, it does lack a 15,000 mile guarantee.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
QSUD has great VI and NOACK, and decent TBN. It would be (and often is) my pick, given price considerations.

Agreed. It's what's going into the Cruze next. Low volatility is a good thing for this hot-headed turbo engine. The lower TBN has not proved to be an issue at my usual 7500-8000 mile change intervals, as the engine has chewed up the additives by then anyhow.

As was said in Tommy Boy, "I can put **** in a box and guarantee it. It's still just **** in a box." PU is great oil, even without a guarantee. Heck, Amsoil's engine oils consistently returns great results and most of those were not API-certified until recently. Although if it gives you the warm fuzzies, find an oil with a 15k mile guarantee.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tempest
The Edge has an odd add pack but the TBN speaks for itself. Looks like a nice OTC high end oil other than the NOACK. Starting to put pressure on Amsoil in an OTC.

PU NOACK is impressive and nice TBN as well. Slight increase in AW adds are also good to see. Little to no sodium or potassium which I prefer.

PU looks like the overall winner here.

In my opinion,
Shell / SOAPUS havn't been winners of much in engine oil technical terms for a few years, although their oils are nearly as good as Mobil in a few cases.
The Edge 5/30 is an oldish product and most folks will be looking more at their 20 grades for new petrol cars or 40 grades for diesels.
Volvo did a real good study of the different oils some years ago and for their diesels the winner was Castrol Magnetec 5/30 or 40 and Edge 5/30 or 40. They were the most expensive major brand standard oils at the time the contract was signed and are still expensive.
The add pack was changed to allow more efficient use of ZnDDP additive, by reducing the Calcium level to about half the normal figure and replacing it with Magnesium based detergents. That change was interesting because the Zinc reductions required for the new DPF oils (Acea C3 et al) do result in increased wear, but the change in the Phosphorus/Zinc combination resulted in an improvement in the last few years at lower total Zinc levels.
The increased use of Magnesium detergents was done for several different reasons and improved Zinc function was only one of them, as Zinc was also used as an anti rust and the reduced levels were balanced out by the fact that Magnesium detergents do have a good side effect in preventing corrosion.
The very slight down side is that to improve the function of the AW and EP additives the replacement of some of the Calcium has resulted in reduced cleaning power, which should not be confused with how long the detergents and dispersants last.
I regard Castrol Edge as the no 1 synthetic in terms of wear metals and shearing, BUT it does not clean an engine as well as some other oils. Unfortuntely the oils that do clean well have high Ca content and that results in them dissolving the old layer of Zinc and Moly when the oil is changed faster than it can be formed again. In UOA terms high detergent oils cause increased wear metals as a result, which is one big reason not to change oil too often.
So there is nothing odd about the Edge add pack, it is just more modern than some oils.
PS: Always do your own research (DYOR) as that was based on reading about the different Zinc and detergent additives, BUT also on lab gossip, so may not be 100% correct. The engineers in my area often use Mobil 0/40 to clean an engine if required, but then switch to either LM Synthoil 5/40 or Castrol Edge 5/40, with a few Shell Helix fans for the long OCI's and minimum wear requirements.

Originally Posted By: buster
You can't judge an oils performance entirely off of data like this. You'd have to run them through engine testing.

I absolutely agree, but it's a nice start and fun to look. There is a lot more too it than this though, Valvoline is a good example, always a bit of a yawner on paper but in actual use the results are excellent.

It looks like you just threw up in here.

Originally Posted By: skyship
In my opinion,
Shell / SOAPUS havn't been winners of much in engine oil technical terms for a few years, although their oils are nearly as good as Mobil in a few cases.

LOL!

Gotta love those broad sweeping statements, even if they're just your opinion. They mean absolutely nothing, but thanks.

Quote:

The Edge 5/30 is an oldish product

It's API SN. Is there something newer out there? Are you assuming that US Edge 5w-30 is the same as European Edge 5w-30? Hint: it's not.

Quote:

with a few Shell Helix fans for the long OCI's and minimum wear requirements.

So, Shell is great for long OCIs and minimum wear, but yet...
Shell / SOAPUS havn't been winners of much in engine oil technical terms for a few years,

33.gif

What's SOAPUS. A disease or something.
Keep going sunkship. Who will be next to teach you a lesson. You are resilient though. Like a cockroach.

Originally Posted By: volk06
It seems Mobil switched up the Super Synthetic line. No Sodium or Ti but rather Moly and Boron. Very interesting!

It looks like M1 of the prior generation (SM).

QSUD has great VI and NOACK, and decent TBN. It would be (and often is) my pick, given price considerations.

I really don't see much difference between QSUD and PP.

The PU sounds like QS QTorque used to be with a huge dose of Boron.

I'm really impressed by the NOAK numbers in SOPUS products, much lower than their official info would indicate. Do we know it that is PAO or GTL?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I'm really impressed by the NOAK numbers in SOPUS products, much lower than their official info would indicate.

What do you mean? Ultra 5w-30 API SN product sheet shows NOACK of 6.4%. PQIA tested it at 6.6%, so that's pretty close, IMO.

PP on the other hand did test out better than spec sheet.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I'm now even happier I stocked up on a little Ultra at Walmart clearance prices.
thumbsup2.gif

I would be happy to stock up any synthetic in the list for clearance/sale price with/without rebate for less than $2-3/qt.

I do not have the technical expertise on oil as many of you do and I definetly respect you all for it as I have learned much from you since I joined this outfit about a year ago, but I really like the QSUD for my better half's Corolla. I agree that for the money and comparing the specs it seems to be a great buy.
QSUD was recommended to me by many on this site and once I tried it, I was sold. Car runs with less clatter on startup.

03 Corolla-5-30 QSUD and Wix filter
04 Rav4-5-30 Havoline and Wix filter

Nice results , glad I got me some Ultra on Walmart clearance.

Now how about a 0w20 comparison for all us new Mazda/Nissan/Toyota/Honda/Subaru and other X-w20 spec'd car owners.

Just a quick question among all of this neat info in this thread: Is above an example of trolling????? Anyone???
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: FoxS
Nice to see Castrol Edge banging up against all the limits in the best direction, although they only tested the cheaper Syntec 5/30 and not the newer versions. The Mobil 1 tested was also the 5/30.

The tests in black are the only ones with limits and in that case Castrol Edge are not banging up against them.

You recently posted that you can't always link to facts because there isn't always time.

The truth is somewhat different. You read too fast, lack analytical rigor, indeed basic comprehension of tables with numbers in them, and then say what you want to believe anyway.

In this instance, where you've commented on something we can all see, your lack of analytical ability and the fact that you say what you want to believe is apparent to everyone.

Re how Castrol performs in the tests with limits:

V 100c - 2 oils are higher, 4 are lower. But which end is desirable is debatable. What is not debatable is that Castrol is not banging up against any limit on this one.

V -30c - Castrol has the highest of the 7. Lower is better in this test!

Noack - 4 of the 6 competitors are far far better. Only 2 are worse and not that much worse.

Phosphorous. Castrol is average in the range.

So NO WAY is Castrol banging at the better end of any limit.

Now onto tests with competitive ranges:

Castrol has lowest VI (and one of the worst NOACK - what does that tell you about base stock quality?)

Highest V at 40c

Second highest Moly which you said is bad and that the best oil manufacturers were putting at zero. Btw that means only Valvoline meets your criteria

The most aluminium contamination and therefore most contamination overall

Middle of the range boron

Average in all other additives except:

Lowest calcium and highest magnesium
Lower than average phosphorous and zinc

Out of 28 tests, Castrol leads in 1 - TBN and chooses to have the lowest calcium and highest magnesium

Your statement that I quoted at the top of this post is so far away from the truth that your credibility can be added to those things at the bottom of the range.

Wow I thought we were not to do this trolling which seems to be a constant theme these days... It cheapens the threads and makes them look like stuff you find on lesser websites. IMHO
37.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Keep going sunkship. Who will be next to teach you a lesson. You are resilient though. Like a cockroach.

Last edited:
Everyone is starting to call out Skyship. Many of us have gotten tired of his dogmatics without data and penchant to add to his post count.

Quote:
Just a quick question among all of this neat info in this thread: Is above an example of trolling????? Anyone???

Not really. No.

It was just an opinion that was posted that another poster took exception to.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Wow I thought we were not to do this trolling which seems to be a constant theme these days... It cheapens the threads and makes them look like stuff you find on lesser websites. IMHO
37.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Right. So how about I just post incorrect info and tailor my copy and pastes to suit my agenda.
At least I post info that is as close to fact as I can get,including that one.
Put me on ignore Otto and save yourself the horror of reading my posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back