PQIA"s synthetic find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! If you haven't done this yet-check out PQIA and its find on synthetic oils.

03 Corolla-5-30 QSUD and Wix filter
04 Rav4-5-30 Havoline and Wix filter

Originally Posted By: Nodak
Hey guys! If you haven't done this yet-check out PQIA and its find on synthetic oils.________________________

Great find and here is the link:
Synthics specs results.
Nice to see Castrol Edge banging up against all the limits in the best direction, although they only tested the cheaper Syntec 5/30 and not the newer versions. The Mobil 1 tested was also the 5/30.

Last edited:
I missed this, thanks for bringing it up.

Link:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/consolidatedpagefinl.html

Lots of interesting stuff there. Some surprising numbers on the Castrol on magnesium and TBN. It looks like the "cleaning" power on the Ultra is virtually identical to Platinum, but Ultra's low, low NOACK held up so the difference is apparently in base stocks. Synpower looks rather pedestrian (typical of Valvoline) but if you add the sodium to the calcium it should actually be right behind the Pennzoils in cleaning power. I would not have expected that.

QSUD looks good as usual. It also makes me wish the Mobil Super Syn was not so hard to find at a good price, a boron heavy add pack oftens runs really, really quiet.

Even though I use Maxlife and not Synpower; I noticed that Synpower has a boatload of sodium.

Last edited:
I am REALLY please PQIA tested these.
cheers3.gif

PU tends to steal the show. I was surprised that Castrol doesn't have a sodium additive.

Also, look at the VI compared to the viscosity at -30. I think that is pretty misunderstood around here.

Im glad to see some proof of PU low NOACK claim!

It seems Mobil switched up the Super Synthetic line. No Sodium or Ti but rather Moly and Boron. Very interesting!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I missed this, thanks for bringing it up.

Link:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/consolidatedpagefinl.html

Lots of interesting stuff there. Some surprising numbers on the Castrol on magnesium and TBN. It looks like the "cleaning" power on the Ultra is virtually identical to Platinum, but Ultra's low, low NOACK held up so the difference is apparently in base stocks. Synpower looks rather pedestrian (typical of Valvoline) but if you add the sodium to the calcium it should actually be right behind the Pennzoils in cleaning power. I would not have expected that.

QSUD looks good as usual. It also makes me wish the Mobil Super Syn was not so hard to find at a good price, a boron heavy add pack oftens runs really, really quiet.

Also PP had no boron where PU did. Makes you wonder what else is in PU that we can't see.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
I am REALLY please PQIA tested these.
cheers3.gif

PU tends to steal the show. I was surprised that Castrol doesn't have a sodium additive.

Also, look at the VI compared to the viscosity at -30. I think that is pretty misunderstood around here.

Yes, I thought it interesting that:

PU with its 165 VI was 3,827cP at -30C
M1 with its 170 VI was 3,937cP at -30C

And these were the two oils with the best cold temperature performance.

Castrol Edge was the heaviest oil at cold temps with a visc of 5,544cP. And PU's NOACK was the most impressive.

I've been using the black bottle Syntec and this seems to be the best running oil I've used in my car. My last run of M1 seemed to run a lil noisy and not so smooth. I'll use my leftover M1 in my yard equipment this spring.

It seems like PU is a bit of a different animal. With the low Noack and CCS results the GTL base seems to be good stuff with out the higher VI. Not sure how that means it's misunderstood? In fact if you take out the SOPUS products it seems pretty clear, doesn't it?

Seems like all of the SOPUS products might have some GTL.

Originally Posted By: cp3
It seems like PU is a bit of a different animal. With the low Noack and CCS results the GTL base seems to be good stuff with out the higher VI. Not sure how that means it's misunderstood? In fact if you take out the SOPUS products it seems pretty clear, doesn't it?

Seems like all of the SOPUS products might have some GTL.

Very likely.

Yep, it's a pity they did not test the full range, BUT perhaps they will do the 20's and 40's later. Also it would be real good if they did the Ow oils and the diesel only ones, but I guess it would cost too much.

The Edge has an odd add pack but the TBN speaks for itself. Looks like a nice OTC high end oil other than the NOACK. Starting to put pressure on Amsoil in an OTC.

PU NOACK is impressive and nice TBN as well. Slight increase in AW adds are also good to see. Little to no sodium or potassium which I prefer.

PU looks like the overall winner here.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Nice to see Castrol Edge banging up against all the limits in the best direction, although they only tested the cheaper Syntec 5/30 and not the newer versions. The Mobil 1 tested was also the 5/30.

The tests in black are the only ones with limits and in that case Castrol Edge are not banging up against them.

You recently posted that you can't always link to facts because there isn't always time.

The truth is somewhat different. You read too fast, lack analytical rigor, indeed basic comprehension of tables with numbers in them, and then say what you want to believe anyway.

In this instance, where you've commented on something we can all see, your lack of analytical ability and the fact that you say what you want to believe is apparent to everyone.

Re how Castrol performs in the tests with limits:

V 100c - 2 oils are higher, 4 are lower. But which end is desirable is debatable. What is not debatable is that Castrol is not banging up against any limit on this one.

V -30c - Castrol has the highest of the 7. Lower is better in this test!

Noack - 4 of the 6 competitors are far far better. Only 2 are worse and not that much worse.

Phosphorous. Castrol is average in the range.

So NO WAY is Castrol banging at the better end of any limit.

Now onto tests with competitive ranges:

Castrol has lowest VI (and one of the worst NOACK - what does that tell you about base stock quality?)

Highest V at 40c

Second highest Moly which you said is bad and that the best oil manufacturers were putting at zero. Btw that means only Valvoline meets your criteria

The most aluminium contamination and therefore most contamination overall

Middle of the range boron

Average in all other additives except:

Lowest calcium and highest magnesium
Lower than average phosphorous and zinc

Out of 28 tests, Castrol leads in 1 - TBN and chooses to have the lowest calcium and highest magnesium

Your statement that I quoted at the top of this post is so far away from the truth that your credibility can be added to those things at the bottom of the range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back