Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
With further consideration to start up noise the Clio does exhibit a little bit of start up noise, which last a few seconds, and is only when stone cold.

But it is something it has certainly done for the last couple of years. I can't remember if it did it when we bought it though.

I am now curious to see if there will be a change with different oil.

I ran a high miles Vauxhall Omega with the BMW 2.5 diesel lump many years ago and did around 100k over 2 yrs, I used Mobil 1 in it and it used oil, I changed to a Millers oil which was a 5w40 rather than a 0w40 and consumption ceased, I just assumed that the 0w40 was a bit thin when engine was cold, and the switch stopped the oil usage. Engine was no more or less noisy.

Will start to consider other oils for he Clio now, can get Chevron Supreme 10w40 synthetic (probably a semi or blend?) as it is in Costco at £44 for 20 litres, so very cheap or may consider using some of the Delvac 10w40 I am getting next month.

It is funny you mention acoustic sympathy Doug, we always used to call the slightly damped metallic rattle of an old school high miles diesel on tickover as an "oily diesel sound".

Right now it's $50 shipped for a 6-pack
smile.gif

this is the cheapest I have seen it on amazon, i think.

If you get it at a regular interval, you can sign up for that and get a 15% discount...and still w/ free s/h

Just ordered a 6-pack for the Bimmer AND subscribed for 5 month deliveries
smile.gif
at a cost of $42 per 6-pack shipped
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Just ordered a 6-pack for the Bimmer AND subscribed for 5 month deliveries
smile.gif
at a cost of $42 per 6-pack shipped
smile.gif

Sadly that's still more expensive than M1 0w-40 at regular price, and even more expensive when M1 is on sale.

I think it's good in my case 'cause I really like the way the car feels/sounds with the Penz EU. It idles even quieter than when I had GC in it...
I've never used M1 0w-40 though...IDK why i'm subconsciously somehow avoiding it...

Perhaps I should start using it, now that I am ready to do my own oil changes - i can just skip between different oils at will...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I've never used M1 0w-40 though...IDK why i'm subconsciously somehow avoiding it...

Haha... I'm subconsciously avoiding it in my 530i as well. Probably something to do with a bunch of BMW guys complaining that it makes their engines sound noisy.
smile.gif

M1 0w-40 runs great in wife's C300 though. I just did an oil change on it last night.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Haha... I'm subconsciously avoiding it in my 530i as well. Probably something to do with a bunch of BMW guys complaining that it makes their engines sound noisy.
smile.gif

LOL ! I think you found the cause - that HAS to be it...

Then again, those complaints stem from older M1 formulations. Possibly it's not the case with the current one, but I'm waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig.
smile.gif

Besides, there are so many other oils to try... Lubro Moly, Total, etc. Considering I do annual oil changes, a few bucks more or less doesn't really matter.

That's what I think too...I do them about every 8k miles and that will never amount to more than 2 a year - probably 2 OCs every 15 months or so ...So I can also try some other stuff that I have been reading about but never had a deserving application...(i/e a "euro" mobile
smile.gif
)

I finally got the 10k sample from my 1.8T GTI. This was with the larger filter. No issues with 10k. Also, this car has 186k on the clock with zero engine work.

Just did an oil change (my first self change !!!) on the 330Ci with Pennz Euro Ultra - everything went well...

But...but .. but...now that I can change my own oil, I have been bitten by the "try all the Euro oils you can" bug
frown.gif
Horrible feeling...want to try Total Quartz 5/40 now...
frown.gif

Interesting. I plan to just stick with the Ultra after getting back two favorable test samples. I don't plan to run anymore tests. What do they say, don't fix what aint broke!

Hmmm - that helps me to be more logical, which I SHOULD be.
My yearnings for Total is not due to anything wrong with the PEU, it's one of those oil-impulses.
smile.gif

That said, I haven't done a UOA on the bimmer with ANY oil...
the PU i drained out after 8k looked very dark, which means nothing. Wonder if I should do a UOA with the current fill after, say, 7k miles or so?

You can pick up the WIX or NAPA kist on Amazon pretty cheap. I tested just to baseline both of my cars. Some people would say I am crazy for running an OCI of 10k in the 1.8T motor which is known for sludge problems. I think my analysis speaks for itself. You can learn a lot for 15 bucks.

Amazon has this at $39.41 right now with subscribe and save. Tempted to pull the trigger. This is cheapest I've seen it on amazon.

Nice price drop. I bought a case last week when it was $41. I had a $10 gift card from Pennzoil, so it ended up being $31 in the end.

The UOA results are good and the fact the oil has sheared down to a 30 from a 40 (Not checked the exact figures) causing the analyst to comment is no big deal as most engines are OK on a 30 grade.
This oil does seem a bit short of detergents (Calcium and Magnesium), although the TBN held up OK.

Yeah both of my cars did well at the 10k OCI. On my newer GTI, that is the OEM recommended interval. On my older GTI the interval is 15k km in Europe (9,300 miles). Both cars are driven in a fairly normal manner with the occasional spirited fling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back