Tires for Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your Jeep is tracking funny, there is a ball joint in the rear A-arm where it attaches to the rear axle that may be bad. Check it out.

Originally Posted By: default
02 GC 225/75R16, budget: minimal

Needs to not track the road like a truck tire, not ride like a truck tire, but handle the loads of towing 4000lbs occasionally, and have good snow traction without sounding like a jet engine on the highway. An odd request, but not mine. It currently rides on some infinity treadwear Michelins that have zero traction in anything but warm dry pavement, and follow ruts like a truck. She basically wants her jeep to drive like a minivan, lol.

HERE you go!
smile.gif
Get the Kedge Grip, it's worth it!

Sounds like, assuming they will meet the weight requirements, the Firestone LE2s will be the answer.

I would look at the Kumho SAT KL61 ($139 at tirerack). Is winter rated. It is a "LT" load "E" tire but if there is towing involved the stiffer sidewall will offer a safety margin. Has good survey ratings for noise and ride overall.

Getting that thing to not drive like a truck just isn't gonna happen. Solid front axle pretty much throws that out the window. If you end up replacing ball joints, I'd use offset uppers to give it some extra positive caster. IMO, it makes them drive a good bit better, although it does increase steering effort a bit.

If you want tires that'll handle the load of towing a bit better, and be a little more stable with the weight, I'd move up to the factory option size of 245/70R16. The price difference should be minimal between the 2 sizes. 235/70R16 or 255/65R16 should fit fine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back