Best Engine Cleaning Additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto-RX to clean up an engine, or several Neutra crankcase purges at the last 500-1000 miles of the oil run, then Auto-rx maintenace dose to keep clean and do some additional cleaning over time. For longer oil change intervals, use synthetic oil or quality blend like Schaeffers 7000 series. Synthetic oils that contain some ester can and will do some cleaning, but not as much as ARX which has an ester that's very effective in cleaning deposits. This has been my experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Quote:
Classes of Esters?, I had an Ester in my 3rd grade class, but you have moved beyond my limited understanding of chemistry.

There many different types of ester for differing applications.

Auto-RX is a superb crankcase and machine cleaner.

Look in this section for esters; there is even a picture of dibasic acid esters here
http://www.chemicalonline.com/content/pr...4-00a0c9c83afb}

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729310#Post729310

Thank you! It is tough to ask a question about ARX, as it has a passionate following here. Many of the posts tell you it works and works slowly and gently. I have been unsure how, and some have been critical when I asked. I don't doubt anyone's observations. On the other hand my son swears he observes improvement with STP, and a solvent flush.

My father and one son are Chemical engineers, I guess intelligence skips a generation. However, You laid that out so
that even a challanged individual as myself could understand.
Thanks again. That should be a sticky.

p.s. Are you aware of any lab studies done comparing detergents (calcium/phosophorus) or esthers, and their ability to dissolve/remove carbon deposits?

funny i was talking to my wife the other day about sludge in her jeeps engine and whe said( you dont want to use a solvent flush because the carbon and sludge can block or restrict the oil pump screen and starve the engine of oil)she had worked for murrys discount for 14 years before she quit? she said use a HDEO and change it at 1000 miles for a few oci's. if that dontget it the deposits are hard carbon. i think the same but i think i will try pp and see if that helps.

Here is some info:

Controlling chemical breakdown

Detergent additives, dating back to the early 1930s, are used to clean and neutralize oil impurities which would normally cause deposits (oil sludge) on vital engine parts. Typical detergents are magnesium sulfonates.
Corrosion or rust inhibiting additives retard the oxidation of metal inside an engine.
Antioxidant additives retard the degradation of the stock oil by oxidation. Typical additives are organic amines and phenols.
Metal deactivators create a film on metal surfaces to prevent the metal from causing the oil to be oxidized.

For contaminant control

Dispersants keep contaminants (e.g. soot) suspended in the oil to prevent them from coagulating.
Anti-foam agents (defoamants) inhibit the production of air bubbles and foam in the oil which can cause a loss of lubrication, pitting, and corrosion where entrained air and combustion gases contact metal surfaces.
Antimisting agents prevent the atomization of the oil. Typical antimisting agents are silicones.
Wax crystal modifiers are dewaxing aids that improve the ability of oil filters to separate wax from oil. This type of additive has applications in the refining and transport of oil, but not for lubricant formulation.

Last edited:
ZZman I like this post. Instead of people arguing over a lot of nonsense here is a productive discussion about what might work to clean an engine. Can we have more discussions like this?

The engine in my car stills runs very well and it does not seem to consume oil. I don't know how dirty it might be inside-it is hard to get a look without pulling the pan off or somehow getting a look inside. But it is a 2004 with 106,000 miles. So I assume it is somewhat dirty.

It would be interesting to find out what safe and effective product might be available to clean the inside of the engine. And a product that would not cause seal leaks. I don't have leaky seals but I would not want to start having leaks.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Auto-RX, Rislone, Marvel Mystery Oil, Seafoam ,plain oil changed alot, Synthetic Oil changed alot? Any others?

A load of Redline oil for it's high ester content.

Schaeffer's Neutra 131.

What is neutra 131? How does it work and how do you use it? Do they still sell it?

Bob who used to post here recommended Neutra for cleaning engines. Back in those days Schaeffer's Oil was selling Neutra. I don't know if they still do or not.

If you get some, be ready for the smell. It smells very strong. It can be used in the gas or the oil. I tried some. I don't know how well it may have cleaned the engine in the car I owned at that time but it did not seem to harm anything.

I do know that after I used Schaeffer's Oil Supplement my car ran like a top. That is just a seat of the pants observation, but the car really seemed to run good.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Marvel Misery Oil, yes, thats the best. Marvel Misery Oil.

Your so clever.
happy2.gif

Solvents are solvents, Kerosene or diesel fuel work just as well if you are daft enough to add them to the oil.
The only real safe additive for bad sludge is a used small toothbrush, rags and suction line, along with a good copy of the pages about how to clean sludge from the maintenance manual or dealers software.
Why do you think your engine needs cleaning, as a lot of addaholics are using their favourite snake oils when they don't even have a problem.

Last edited:
Skyship, what about the nonsolvent engine flushes? Amsoil has one. So does Lubegard. There is another one called Golden Eagle or something like that.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Skyship, what about the nonsolvent engine flushes? Amsoil has one. So does Lubegard. There is another one called Golden Eagle or something like that.

Auto RX.
Ignore sunkship. Everyone else does,unless they are picking apart his posts

That is right. Forgot about Auto-RX. It is basically a nonsolvent engine cleaner also. It has some kind of ester or esters in it to do the cleaning.

Old Skyship does not even address any of this. It seems more and more like trying to communicate with a computer that has only programmed answers and replies.

I still love his posts however. He kind of livened things up around here. I do wish he would get hold of some more recent manuals and books however.

I presume Golden Eagle is a Chinese bird oil in can! Might be cheaper than a US snake oil canned in Mexico.
Just remember, "IF IN DOUBT, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS", only not those on the snake oil can, just the sensible ones from the educated engine manufacturer.
Low viscosity oils are solvents, the non solvent spin from some snake oil advertising agents is just to avoid the GM ban looking too bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mystic
That is right. Forgot about Auto-RX. It is basically a nonsolvent engine cleaner also. It has some kind of ester or esters in it to do the cleaning.

Old Skyship does not even address any of this. It seems more and more like trying to communicate with a computer that has only programmed answers and replies.

I still love his posts however. He kind of livened things up around here. I do wish he would get hold of some more recent manuals and books however.

Hehehe. Yep. 10 years in the oil industry is an eternity. Things change.
I wonder what his job title is this week.
I still think he drives the oil recycling truck.

So Skyship you still cannot address the nonsolvent engine flushes and nonsolvent engine cleaners like Auto-RX. If the information is not in the data base there is no answer?

Let me put this another way. Not all engine flushes and drive around engine cleaners contain solvents. Some are nonsolvent. Amsoil has a nonsolvent engine flush. You have probably heard of Amsoil. Lubegard has a nonsolvent engine flush. Auto-RX is a drive around engine cleaner that does not have solvents.

Maybe Skyship you can read up on these and then post your thoughts about them.

I don't know if he drives the oil recycling truck or if he/she is a computer. How do we get fresh information into the data base? Skyship seems to think all engine flushes and drive around engine cleaners contain solvents. He does not seem to have ever heard about nonsolvent cleaners.

His only answer to cleaning a dirty engine seems to be to partially disassemble the engine, at least removing parts like the oil pan, and physically cleaning the engine. Well, I guess that works but it might be a tad bit expensive if you had to have the dealership or a garage do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back