2001 BMW M5 - Mobil 1 0w40 9,555Km - Jan 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
On mine, each dot represents 475 liters of fuel burned, but your M5 might be different.

Pete,

Does that OLM only go by fuel used and doesn't factor temperature, running time etc into the equation?

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You went almost 6K miles and only one dot disappeared from the OLM display? Or only one dot was still left?

On mine, each dot represents 475 liters of fuel burned, but your M5 might be different.

Yup, only one dot gone
crazy2.gif

Is it possible the OLM is not working properly? Just sounds like a lot of miles in severe service for it not to be winding down much faster.

I thought the same, but I can't imagine it not working properly given it is just an algorithm?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: steve20
I don't know guys....35 ppm seems like a lot of Fe no matter what the conditions---you see that much in FF oil changes.
Oops, I forgot---it's M-1

I don't think I would be worried about 35ppm Fe at all. Could be lower sure, but not alarming by any means.

Your commute to work is very short and this might not work but..... Have you thought of blocking your upper and lower grill/grille?

You could use some black racers tape so that it won't be as much of an eye sore and tape them shut from the front or you could come up with a way of blocking the radiator from the inside. I personally would go with the racer's tape route so that if your going for a longer drive, you can just remove the tape.

You went almost 6K miles and only one dot disappeared from the OLM display? Or only one dot was still left?

Yup, only one dot gone
crazy2.gif

Is it possible the OLM is not working properly? Just sounds like a lot of miles in severe service for it not to be winding down much faster.

I thought the same, but I can't imagine it not working properly given it is just an algorithm?
21.gif

Well if Quattro Pete's BMW burns 475 liters of fuel per dot. That's like maybe 5 tanks of fuel equaling perhaps 1500 miles? So wouldn't that be 4 dots down using his car as an example?

Also, wouldn't you expect an M5 to run down even quicker than a mainstream model since it's a more high performance machine?

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Are you sure you dont have an injector leaking?

No, but then when I've had the laptop hooked up to it the fuel trims are perfectly normal, so that would lead me to believe that the injectors are fine and this is simply the combination of cold start enrichment, really cold oil, and a car that generally runs rich due to the factory fuel trims.

This is far more likely to be the mfgr tuning than any mechanical flaw. My car recommends 3k changes on synthetic oil for this exact reason... fuel dilution.

Pete,

Does that OLM only go by fuel used and doesn't factor temperature, running time etc into the equation?

On my car, it only goes by fuel used. But when you think about it, this kind of already takes into account a whole lot of other factors. For example, lower temps = higher fuel consumption as the car takes longer to reach operating temp. City driving or spirited driving also equals higher fuel consumption.

My only problem is that arbitrary 2375 liters per OCI (475 liters per dot) number that they came up with. 2375 liters = 627 gallons. If I average 25 mpg, that's nearly 16K miles per OCI. Seems a bit much, but then again, it has a big sump. Maybe it's doable.

On my car, it only goes by fuel used. But when you think about it, this kind of already takes into account a whole lot of other factors. For example, lower temps = higher fuel consumption as the car takes longer to reach operating temp. City driving or spirited driving also equals higher fuel consumption.

My only problem is that arbitrary 2375 liters per OCI (475 liters per dot) number that they came up with. 2375 liters = 627 gallons. If I average 25 mpg, that's nearly 16K miles per OCI. Seems a bit much, but then again, it has a big sump. Maybe it's doable.

I agree with you that fuel used does allow it to account for probably 95% of the way people drive.
Given that you're running some of the world's best oils (BMW spec)I think a 627 gallon calibration would cover the car really well. As you said it could be up to 16,000 miles at 25mpg or it could come down around 10,000 for city drivers.
A big sump, full of a European grade synthetic, is the holly grail of protection.

I don't think the OLM properly accounts for the severe service that Overkill experiences by merely counting down gallons used however. I'm assuming that his OLM is virtually the same as yours in how it counts down, given that the cars are a model year apart. Say he gets 12.5mpg that still brings him to the 8,000 mile mark. That just allows for way too much fuel dilution in ice cold, extreme short trip, cycles of operation.

Finally, I must again question that his OLM is working properly to begin with. Using your numbers, even if he was getting 25mpg (impossible for an M5 under these conditions) his OLM couldn't be on the first dot after 6000 miles. Plugging his actual fuel economy in - that's even more evident. Shouldn't it have been on the last dot by the time he changed it?

I wouldn't be surprised if the M cars used a different algorithm to estimate OCI. But I agree, it is very strange that at 10K km only the first of his 5 dots went away.

Originally Posted By: onemig
Your commute to work is very short and this might not work but..... Have you thought of blocking your upper and lower grill/grille?

You could use some black racers tape so that it won't be as much of an eye sore and tape them shut from the front or you could come up with a way of blocking the radiator from the inside. I personally would go with the racer's tape route so that if your going for a longer drive, you can just remove the tape.

I'm just going to drive it more. It seems like that's an adequate solution
21.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if the M cars used a different algorithm to estimate OCI. But I agree, it is very strange that at 10K km only the first of his 5 dots went away.

I've yet to reset it.... Do you want me to leave it as an experiment and see how long it takes to get down to the next dot?

I've yet to reset it.... Do you want me to leave it as an experiment and see how long it takes to get down to the next dot?

Might as well. You're not going to follow the OLM anyway.
smile.gif

Also, do you know how to access the hidden OBC codes/tests? Test 03 displays the liters of fuel burned since last reset.

http://www.ideaphile.com/bmw/540-obc.html

Don't reset it. Why not find out when it will click down to the next dot.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
How did you achieve this fuel dilution!

The cold weather and short trips unfortunately
frown.gif
The car takes a long time to warm up and the drive to work is very short. I'm thinking it simply isn't getting enough in the way of highway mileage to flash the fuel off.

Im surprised your driving an M5 in the Canada during winter.

The best way to get rid of the fuel dilution issue is either to fit a block or sump heater to allow the engine to get out of rich burn mode or just go for a good drive along the highway every Sunday.
If this was caused by an injection fault the engine would have some degree of smoke visible when hot at idle, if you walk round the back and it is clean then the injection system is probably not the cause.

Overkill, was this an SN or SM rated oil?

I agree with you, you just need to drive more! Pretty confident that a 15-20min drive on hwy weekly will keep the fuel dilution in check. Good news is that there doesn't seems to be a coolant leak, which is a common issue with BMW's!

Also, two Fuel System Treatments I use in all my cars at 6 months interval are Redline S1 and Lucas.

P.S - I would be happy to take your car out for a drive for FREE
wink.gif
haha...!

Might as well. You're not going to follow the OLM anyway.
smile.gif

Also, do you know how to access the hidden OBC codes/tests? Test 03 displays the liters of fuel burned since last reset.

http://www.ideaphile.com/bmw/540-obc.html

Yes, and I have access to most of that stuff through my scanner as well, FWIW
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back