Hi Point Handguns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi point is great in a survival situation where fishing weights are called for. In a gun fight they will last the rest of your life.

I've heard decent things about the Bersa Thunder. I wouldn't mind one. Nice size. Also I am seeing 380acp ammunition in stock (that and 25 and 32, go figure).

I have one for my summer carry gun. Accurate and reliable. Mags are a little pricey, but mine ate the JHP Speer Gold Dots without a problem. My much pricer Walther PPK/S and my older Mauser HSc took a smith to make that happen or powerball ammo.

Unfortunately, a standard internet MO is being applied here. Like many internet discussions asking for advice about product A, the asker doesn't receive much, if any, feedback directly about product A, but folks are quick to tell the asker they really need to spend more money for products X, Y, or Z.

In the case of Hi-Point, if one actually reads threads about the guns, including this one, you'll find most of the negatives are from folks that have no personal experience with a Hi-Point product. Always a "I heard..." or "I've read..." critique. Sometimes, not even that much supports of their opinion. If you actually talk to a Hi-Point owner, you'll find the guns are inexpensive and go bang when you pull the trigger. What else does it need to do? Yes, if you have the budget, there are weapons with more features or that simply look sexier. Some, like say an XDm will function in more extreme conditions than a Hi-Point, but how many personal civilian self-defense weapons will be buried in the sand/mud/ice and then expected to fire immediately? :) All mfgs will make a bad example of even a good design so one-off anecdotes need to be looked at with a bit of skepticism.

I had no trouble doing my CCW qualifying with a Hi-Point C9. Groups were as good/better than the guys carrying XDs and I certainly had less trouble reloading than they did (are all double stacks that hard?). Worst thing I can say about the C9 is it had some FTE/stovepipe issues on the first shot when the magazines were new if loaded to capacity. Something I've read is not uncommon with many brands and my LC9 did the same thing. Simple resolution is to load one shy of max for a while until the springs lossen up. Granted, I eventually want to get something with more features...higher capacity being one of those features, but my family is protected by a Hi-Point C9 without reservation. Better to have a Hi-Point today than run into a bad guy while you're still saving up for something better b/c of some experts on an internet forum, eh?

To the OP, if you're still reading. $150 used is actually probably a bit high IMO, but given the current "gun control" media hype, not unexpected. MSRP is under $200. My NIB C9 was $160ish a few years ago. I personally wouldn't try to actually concealed carry a Hi-Point, they're a bit of a brick, but some folks seem to carry 1911 frames without issues so YMMV.

I would also check the ergonomics of any weapon you consider. I agree with some in this thread that the Ruger P95 is a good example of what one can get for about 2x the cost of a Hi-Point. ;-). However, I don't like the location or operation of the safety/decocker on the P95. Thumb up to fire just seems wrong, especially when the reach is all the way up to the slide. At the P95's price point, I like the Taurus 809 for its frame mounted safety/decocker and its thumb down to fire, just like my C9 and LC9.

-Brent

Originally Posted By: RiverWolf
However, I don't like the location or operation of the safety/decocker on the P95. Thumb up to fire just seems wrong, especially when the reach is all the way up to the slide.
that is why I like mine with no safety and just a de-cocker. If I want it in DA flip the DC, keep it in SA, finger on the trigger and squeeze. No need for the manual safety IMHO.

For what it's worth, My local gun store will not accept or perform FFL transfers of Hi Point firearms. They are in a list of brand names they refuse to handle, presumably because of poor quality and/or safety.

I have no personal experience with Hi Point firearms, I am just passing on a point of information from my local gun dealer, which is very reputable and staffed by very experienced people.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The Bersa Thunder 380 is a good pistol also. Very Walther PP like.

Reliable, accurate, very nice gun for the money.

I have a .40 carbine. Shoots and shoots. I looked at a pistol, but the slide is really big and has a hella strong recoil spring. That being said, it looked well put-together, felt good in my hand, but I just wasn't comfortable with that hella spring. At my LGS, the price is $199. There is a youtube of a guy torturing a 9mm pistol and it keeps on shooting. The thing is, with good engineering, you don't need expensive materials. Look at the AK-47. In an effort to reduce costs and speed manufacturing, they went from an expensive milled receiver to stamped steel. The parts that need machining and/or chrome plating got it, but the cheap parts still make the gun function.

I read an article several years ago about these pistols and they said they were actially pretty good for the money! They are bears to take apart and clean but then again that why we have spray cleaners of today.

Ugly and bulky they are but not bad at all. I'd keep one just in case in addition to my battery.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back