Hard primer or light strike?

Unless things have drastically changed in the last decade, WWB was the gold standard for plinking ammo in the 2000s and 2010s.
I don't want to derail the OP's thread, let's try and get his issue straightened out if possible, maybe then I will address some of WW's atrocities, specifically 9mm and 5.56. Thier 7.62x51 suck's also. Only applies to WW Nato headstamps, the non Nato "WIN" headstamps are GTG! I use "WIN" headstamps with confidence.

For my interest, if you have a set of calipers handy, please measure all the cases (4) you have pictured, the FC, WW's, and the Blazer and post the overall length, please do not place the caliper jaw over the primer, put it just off to the side of it to measure, and move the case around a bit to get a fair reading, the cases have some burrs that may cause irregular measurements.

9mm's headspace on the neck, or actually called the mouth in a straight wall case. If the Blazer and the WW's are shorter than the FC, your striker would not have the ability to strike the primer as hard or deep. "Food for thought"
Federal +P is approx .740"-.741"
Magtech approx .745"
Blazer approx .741"
Winchester approx .738"

An update - I went out and shot about 100 rounds through the P365 and a little more more through my Canik TP9 SF Elite, all Magtech and they all went bang and the guns functioned perfectly. I also loaded the dozen or so dud Win NATO rounds in a mag for the Canik and they all fired perfectly. So I'm thinking that the combination of the Sig's striker and those harder primers is marginal. I do have the improved striker coming and will try that ammo again to see if there is an improvement.

Side note, since the Magtech seems to function well, the price is right and it's generally well reviewed, I may buy another case of it. I remember Astro14 saying that he had some bad luck with it.. I wonder if it was just a bad batch. A few of the older reviews mention similar.

@The Eric,

I did a little digging, Winchester does use a specific primer called a 116M-282A. I have never heard of it. I don't believe it is available to the public for reloading or I would have seen it before. It seems as Winchester forgot to designate the primer, but the 1 1/2 is SP, the 6 1/2 is SR, the 116 is SR, the 116M-282A does not list SP or SR, but since it is designated as 116M, I would say it is a SRM, Small Rifle Magnum, but Winchester does not make a SRMag primer available to the public except for the Nato Spec #41 which they only started making 7/8 years ago.. The other that I separated is the Nato spec #41 that is used in all 5.56 ammo to prevent slam fire, it is a SRM also, but with an even harder cup.

I would take a wild guess and say the 116M primer is as another member posted, Nato spec to prevent slam fire in some type of full auto 9mm rifle/pistol. I believe they are harder than the regular SR primers.

I would suggest exactly the direction you have chose, the striker replacement since Sig has acknowledged that it's a problem on some of their early 365 pistols, and by the looks of the skid marks it has left on your primers.

Winchester Nato, and All Nato headstamp brass cartridges have crimped primers, from the pictures you have posted, some of those WW cases look pretty nasty in the primer cup area. Fiocchi is another ammo brand that is in the same price range for plinking ammo, and is very good quality.

"Straight from Winchesters website"

Prepared to U.S. OSHA, CMA, ANSI, Canadian WHMIS, Australian WorkSafe, Japanese Standard JIS Z 7250:2000, and EU REACH Regulations 1.
PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION Product Name: CAS Number: Synonyms: Product Use: U.N. Number: U.N. Dangerous Goods Class Manufacturer/Responsible Party: Manufacturers’ Address: Emergency Telephone Number:

SDS Control Group: Olin SDS No.: 00060.0001 Revision Date: 02/28/2019 Revision No.: 5 PRIMERS – CENTERFIRE Mixture – Metal Alloy

#1 ½, 108, WSP,
#1 ½ M, 108H, WSPM,
#6 ½, 116,WSR,

***116M-282A,***

#7, 111, WLP,
#8 ½, 120, WLR,
#8 ½ M, 120H,WLRM,
#34 Primer,

***#41 Primer,***

50 Cal Primer,
M29A1C Primer,
M35C Primer,
M42C1 Primer.

Last edited:
I would lean toward the combination of the deformation of the striker and its striking pattern, and primer. "Straw that broke the camels back" situation.

So I'm thinking that the combination of the Sig's striker and those harder primers is marginal
This is rationalization of the issue. You have a quality gun, it should function with quality ammo, which you have.
I do have the improved striker coming and will try that ammo again to see if there is an improvement.
I have no doubt that it will. Does the striker come with a captive striker spring or no?

I concur with the others that said get a striker. The pin is starting to flatten and will always have trouble with harder primers. Be careful with Magtec I also shoot them by the case but the last time I went to order there was a small note that said STEEL cased. They have always been brass so I did not order any. I dont know if this is a new line or a complete change just be sure to read the fine print.

Back