Delvac 1 in 5w-20 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The engine says 5w-20 but it's also very old (200,000 miles). Think it would be alright to use Delvac 1? I've had extremely good results with it (two cars went almost 400,000 miles).

I'd stick with whatever oil got it to 400K miles, unless you have a problem and want to try another oil to resolve that problem.

^ What he said.

Expect a loss of mileage though. Thicker isn't better though, just maintaining a car properly and regularly should make an engine last an exceptionally long time.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
What vehicle?

You're supposed to guess! Umm, must be a lawnmower 2 stroke.

Delvac is a good oil for some engines.

If rrrrrroger got 200,000 miles on a lawnmower of any kind he's doing exceptionally well. I don't care if he's using flat latex interior wall paint instead of oil, it must be the right stuff. Gulden's spicy brown mustard? Cool. Stick with it.

Originally Posted By: skyship
You're supposed to guess! Umm, must be a lawnmower 2 stroke.

If it was a lawnmower 4 stroke, I'd say use it without hesitation, though a case of the stuff is probably worth more than the mower.
wink.gif

@JHZR2: I don't know what it's going for these days. Heck, I don't even remember what I paid for it back when I had the Audi, but I wouldn't imagine it was under $30 or $40 a gallon, especially up here. Now you've got me curious and I'll probably be on a receipt hunt.
wink.gif

That's not a bad price, but I wouldn't use it unless the application needed it or you saw a need for a thicker oil. Like I said, if you had it lying around (like I have some leftovers of Delvac 1 in my garage), I'd certainly use it.

I understand the idea behind running a thicker oil if an engine leaks or consumes, but when I've done such a thing, I buy a cheaper conventional, since I hate having to do a bunch of top up with expensive synthetic.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Delvac 1 is only 3 time s thicket than the 5w-20. Go ahead.

About 1.5 times actually. (Going by cSt and hths figures).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back