Pcked up two different sets of wiper blades today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a gift card in the mail direct from PepBoys for 35 bux the other day. It was a nice surprise. I am a member, so they have a points rewards system. I spent alot this period. They also sent a coupon for BOGO Michelin Stealth wipers.

So I got the Michelin Stealths on a BOGO deal for the Vue, but they had no more 20 inch wipers for my Stang, so I went with the RainX Weather Beaters, which have always treated me well.

The Stealths are a hybrid design, half beam and half conventional. They contour, as well. They seem to get rid of rain pretty well, haven't tried snow yet. For 4 blades I spent 12 bucks. Not bad, I say.

Note how most wiper blades are going to the flexible type with no visible metal blade frames! No more fiddling with wiper inserts, unless you are looking for authenticity in a restoration!

Originally Posted By: notech47
Note how most wiper blades are going to the flexible type with no visible metal blade frames! No more fiddling with wiper inserts, unless you are looking for authenticity in a restoration!

Problem is these "beam" type wiper blades don't seem to be as effective at wiping, especially consistency of wipe.

The old style are the most effective and they are also less costly. New is NOT always better.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Problem is these "beam" type wiper blades don't seem to be as effective at wiping, especially consistency of wipe.

The old style are the most effective and they are also less costly. New is NOT always better.

I love the factory Honda wiper blade inserts that my car uses. They have 2 small metal beams that run the length of the blade, that you put back in place when you are putting in the new insert.
After almost 2 years I finally replaced the factory installed set, and at $5.99 per side, I am not complaining. Back to perfect clearing of my windshield again.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
I got a gift card in the mail direct from PepBoys for 35 bux the other day. It was a nice surprise. I am a member, so they have a points rewards system. I spent alot this period. They also sent a coupon for BOGO Michelin Stealth wipers.

So I got the Michelin Stealths on a BOGO deal for the Vue, but they had no more 20 inch wipers for my Stang, so I went with the RainX Weather Beaters, which have always treated me well.

The Stealths are a hybrid design, half beam and half conventional. They contour, as well. They seem to get rid of rain pretty well, haven't tried snow yet. For 4 blades I spent 12 bucks. Not bad, I say.

Tell us how good they work in 6 months. Thats the real test assuming they do not fall apart on day one.

As I've written countless times before...

Metal-arm blades distribute pressure more evenly across the entire length of the blade. These provide the best quality wipe, but can clog with snow/ice/debris.

Beam blades do not distribute pressure evenly and performance at the edges suffers. These provide an inferior wipe, but do not need cleaning in the winter time. European cars have offered these for a long time, often calling them "snow blades" or "winter wipers"...namely because in the northern countries it can snow for 6-8 months per year and for days at a time.

Beam blades are nothing new. Bosch and other companies experimented with them 20-30 years ago. It was determined that the decreased performance was not worth the minor benefit of not clogging with snow.

Some hybrids were tested back then too. Again, the diminished performance was ruled to be unacceptable. Only thing that I've ever seen that was even a slight improvement was the rubber sleeve that slides over the metal arms, but it can prevent the metal arms from flexing properly and adds some weight + aero drag.

I still recommend metal-arm blades whenever possible. The Michelins will work fine, but don't expect miracles.

Oh and all wipers should be replaced every 6 months -- spring and fall are best, namely when it gets really warm for the first time and really cold for the first time. This way the rubber will "set" properly.

I agree, I much prefer the regular style blades. Honestly, they don't even tend to ice up all that badly, so why should I pay twice as much for something that IMO, looks terrible, and doesn't work as well?

Ive tired almost every blade on my 2002 Celica. Best blades imo are the Rain-x fusion. Clean wipe across all wipe area. 2nd Fusion Ultras.

The new hybrid blades are so much better imo. Beam blades for me were inconsistent and dint make full contact on passenger side.

I just got a set of Anco Transform hybrid blades from the MIR sale last month. They are simply a conventional metal frame underneath, with a plastic aero cover over top. I've used conventional wipers my whole life, with the exception of using the Costco Goodyear beam blades twice. The hybrid blades look promising, as they still have the conventional arm-style underneath to evenly distribute pressure. The 24" blade only has 6 points of pressure, as opposed to the usual 8. But nonetheless, I'm eager to try them out once my current set of blades wear out.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

I love the factory Honda wiper blade inserts that my car uses. They have 2 small metal beams that run the length of the blade, that you put back in place when you are putting in the new insert.
After almost 2 years I finally replaced the factory installed set, and at $5.99 per side, I am not complaining. Back to perfect clearing of my windshield again.

That's awesome and a great price as well.
However, these are factory installed blades, probably with the windshield designed for them, so they ought to work well.
I never had good luck with aftermarket beam style blades. They always start off good, but very quickly, as in two, three months they start to streak and chatter.
So far the best combo that works for me is to use the cheapest metal frame wiper blades during summer. My choice is usually Perfect Fit from CT. For winter I use Perfect Fit winter blades. Basically metal frame incased in rubber. These are by far the best wiping and quietest blades for winter that last more than few months. The current combo is on its second season and the performance is still very good with very quiet operation.

+10,000 the old rubber inserts were way better IMO. Plus very inexpensive.

For our 3 cars, I love the Beam Style Wiper Blades. I am currently using the Rain-X Latitude/Repel Beam Wiper Blades.

The Latitudes & Repels are the same blade but the REPEL comes with a little packet w/ and applicator that is applied to the glass allowing the wipers themselves, to move the product over the glass,,,giving the effects of having Rain-X Treatment on your windshield(Ahhh, so-so!) But, I do like the blades.
smile.gif

A little trick I have found over the years with wiper blades(any blade)!

I often buy the 1"(sometimes 2") shorter blades for my vehicles as "dparm" mentioned that the edges of the blades can suffer due to the contour of the glass and the edges of the wipers don't bend enough to meet the glass!

Keep in mind that some of my wiper blades are between 24"-27" and by purchacing a blade 2" shorter than you normal length, you're only losing 1" at the top and 1" at the bottom. I have never noticed the difference(for the Clear View) but, have a better wipe at the edges.

Now, I'm not saying to buy shorter blades in every situation(especially 16"-18"). But, it certainly is an opiton that one will never notice on those long(er) blades.

My Nissan has Drive: 27" & Pass: 17"...The Pass side is fine @ 17" but, I like a 25" on the Drive side better. And I actually notice a bit better wipe at the TOP EDGE.

I have also eliminated my squeeking/chattering by applying silicone(CRC Silicone Spray) to the wiper rubber after that 3rd/4th month. The quick drying silicone sprays, not the wet silicone sprays like PB Blaster Silicone.

This may be insignificant to many!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have also eliminated my squeeking/chattering by applying silicone(CRC Silicone Spray) to the wiper rubber after that 3rd/4th month. The quick drying silicone sprays, not the wet silicone sprays like PB Blaster Silicone.

That is a nice trick that I will definitely give a try, thanks CB!
thumbsup2.gif

Another trick I read about somewhere is to give the blade slight sanding on a flat surface. I'm yet to give it a try and it looks like the trick is in getting the blade square with the table as you move it across the sanding paper.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

That is a nice trick that I will definitely give a try, thanks CB!
thumbsup2.gif

Another trick I read about somewhere is to give the blade slight sanding on a flat surface. I'm yet to give it a try and it looks like the trick is in getting the blade square with the table as you move it across the sanding paper.

It may have been me that mentioned the sanding trick. My FIL mentioned it to me a very ling time ago since I was going to get new wipers anyway...He said, "it can't hurt." "You're going to throw them away anyway!" I had been complaining about my wipers at that particular time to my FIL.

So, I tried some very light emery/sandpaper on the blade edges to remove any ridges. It helped a bit then but didn't take care of my glass problems. I needed Rain-X to really clean the glass GOOD!

But, so far I HAVE NOT used the emery/sandpaper in a very long time(on the beam style) since I am using the silicone spary lube as per another BITOG member IIRC, "bigmike".

Last edited:
You do not want to apply any product to the rubber in a wiper blade. All of those products contain alcohol which actually accelerates the degradation.

If it is not wiping well, replace it. Simple as that. Some people might need to do it more often than every 6 months if their climate is particularly severe or they use the wipers daily.

Originally Posted By: dparm
You do not want to apply any product to the rubber in a wiper blade. All of those products contain alcohol which actually accelerates the degradation.

If it is not wiping well, replace it. Simple as that. Some people might need to do it more often than every 6 months if their climate is particularly severe or they use the wipers daily.

I have to agree with ya on the alcohol but, not is the case of the silicone spray.

I too have said for a long time to avoid alachol on the wipers including Rain-X. I like Rain-X on the glass but, don't get it on the rubber wipers.

And, the wiper mfg's put those packets of alcohol cloths in with your brand new wipers to ruin them. This alachol destroys the wiper function almost instantly(especially in the colder tempuratures...So, I guess we'll have to buy more wipers...NOT!

I was using amonnia which does keep the wiper rubber more plyable especially int the clod temps but too, it deteriorates the rubber(which I did not know).

Now, I use silicone spray lube with great success and pleasure as it keeps my wipers working smoothly all winter long without chattering and allows me to keep the wipers longer than normal. And doesn't leave a film on the glass.

I also like the way the combination of the silicone on the wipers works with the Rain-X Glass Treatment. My aging eyes can now see in the the foul weather and at night much better than ever.

Ultimately, wipers do wear out and need replacing, no matter whatcha do!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Also, I understand very well that there is some alachol in certain silicone spray lubes to help them dry quicker and not drip all over the place. But IMHO, the silicone out weighs the alachol in this case and it's working very well for me on 4 different cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back