Lincoln Aviator Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't have a solution, sometimes it drives better than others. Argh!!

*** UPDATE ***

I ended up downloading the Ford Service Manual DVD. Following the decision tree it ended up my EGR was following slightly when it shouldn't (no EGR code though).

Since this was cheap enough I decided to replace it at this point. Drive-ability seems better but it still falls on it's face under heavy-load/high RPM. I notice that the LTFT are pulling fuel on bank 2 more so the higher the rpm or load. The question is why though? I also swapped the oxygen sensors (V8) to rule that out.

Any input?

*** Another update ***

I suspected a partially clogged on bank 2 cat at this point due to the negative fuel trims. I searched high and low for someone to be able to test back pressure via the o2 port to confirm. No one, I mean no one could test without drilling into the pipe. So I ended up buying what I needed to confirm. Hooked up bank 1, for a base line and it read ~1/2 psi at idle and 2500 rpm. Next I hooked up bank 2, 8-9 psi and idle and 2500 rpm...Bingo was his name-o!!

Scheduled to get exhaust work done tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
*** Another update ***

I suspected a partially clogged on bank 2 cat at this point due to the negative fuel trims. I searched high and low for someone to be able to test back pressure via the o2 port to confirm. No one, I mean no one could test without drilling into the pipe. So I ended up buying what I needed to confirm. Hooked up bank 1, for a base line and it read ~1/2 psi at idle and 2500 rpm. Next I hooked up bank 2, 8-9 psi and idle and 2500 rpm...Bingo was his name-o!!

Scheduled to get exhaust work done tomorrow.

Good detective work!

*** Last update ***

This vehicle has 2 cats which go into a Y pipe into another cat and then the muffler. I had both cats replaced and the third removed so they could warranty the new cats. Holy cow, it runs real strong now and the problem is resolved once and for all.

Last week my wife tells me it's misfiring again on her way to work. Hmm, strange I drive the truck the night before and it ran fine.

When she gets home I hook up my bluetooth scanner and connect with Torque and codes P0300, P0303 and P0316. The next morning I decide to change plug #3 as a starting point and while I had the cover off swapped coil #3 with #1. Button her up and now it's misfiring on #1 so I swapped in one of the ford coils that I kept as spares and all is well again.

Question, does anyone make a quality durable COP for mod motors? Years ago I had coil issues while under warranty which I swapped out in Aug 2011 with Accel coils and now one of them [censored] out 1 year and 4 months later. My GM has original coils and they're 16 years old and 212k miles.

The Motorcraft coils are the longest lasting ones. I've been through Accel and MSD coils in Ford products just to come back to OEM ones because they are a lot more reliable.

Originally Posted By: 97
GTP
Question, does anyone make a quality durable COP for mod motors?

Avoid all aftermarket coils that promise improved performance. The coil will only provide the necessary voltage needed to fire the plug anyway. Most of your "hot" coils are from China anyway.

I'm impressed with your tenacity. this thing sounds like a headache to me. Also the first time I've ever read of a clogged cat /actually/ being the problem. excellent diagnosis.

Classic clogged cat symptoms, especially with the negative fuel trims. Glad you found it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse
GTP

Avoid all aftermarket coils that promise improved performance. The coil will only provide the necessary voltage needed to fire the plug anyway. Most of your "hot" coils are from China anyway.

Thew Motorcraft coils are made in China, but they are much less problematic than the aftermarket "hot" ones from MSD, Accel, and Granatelli.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
GTP

Thew Motorcraft coils are made in China, but they are much less problematic than the aftermarket "hot" ones from MSD, Accel, and Granatelli.

The ones I purchased were Mexican (as are MANY Ford parts I've bought.....) Old stock?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The Motorcraft coils are the longest lasting ones. I've been through Accel and MSD coils in Ford products just to come back to OEM ones because they are a lot more reliable.

33.gif
Oh I hope the Motorcraft coils aren't the longest lasting

1 out of the 6 originals is hanging in there. I moved it to the front bank for easy swap out when it goes belly up.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
GTP

The ones I purchased were Mexican (as are MANY Ford parts I've bought.....) Old stock?

Might be, depends on the part number I think. The most common one we sell 3W7Z-12029-AA say "Made in Peoples Republic of China" on the bags. Haven't looked at the other numbers much really, will check tomorrow, I have tons of all the numbers in stock.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

33.gif
Oh I hope the Motorcraft coils aren't the longest lasting

1 out of the 6 originals is hanging in there. I moved it to the front bank for easy swap out when it goes belly up.

What is the part # for your coils? They may be different than mine......

They're probably different. It's the old Duratec Taurus/Sable style COP.

Ford changed it with the '06 Fusion. Mazda appears to have kept the old style up to '08.

Some Mazda6 guys use Cobra coils. I don't know that they actually do anything but it sounds cool to say, "I got Cobra coils."

Apparently the 4V motors had coil issues. When the truck was a couple years old it was it weekly for months for misfires. One time it was one coil another time it was another coil until they were all replaced. I had to escalate the issue to Ford as I shouldn't be having these issues with a new truck.

Eventually I got a letter from Ford saying the extended the warranty to 11 years.

When the second time came around I opted to replacing all with Excell since the price point was good and I read good things about them. So far I have only lost the one coil and now I have a spare in the truck just in case.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP
Ok guys this one has me stumped. Over the summer my 03 Aviator start throw codes for misfires (mostly random misfire). I have gone threw this issue with Ford COP I ordered 8 new Accel Coils. Issue was still present, codes P0300, P0316. The truck was low on power also, after weeks of data logging I discovered fuel pressure was low. I changed the fuel filter with no change. What I found strange is it wasn't throwing a code for low fuel pressure, hmmm. Fuel pressure was confirmed with a mechanical gauge.

My mechanic thought it was the fuel pump, but I had my doubts since the fuel pump duty cycle was low and the pressure was also low. So I started to think a misreporting fuel pressure sensor (on the rail) was the culprit. The morning that I was ready to get the sensor changed the truck started running normal again, I changed the sensor anyway. Now 3-4 months later it's starting to do it again, although not as bad.

Any ideas?

Keep a fuel pressure gauge handy. Next time it does it, get a gauge on it quick. You probably have a fuel pump going south (ask me how I know.) The second owner of the car I just sold reports that the new fuel pump I put in solved the problem. Your description matches the issue I had almost perfectly.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Keep a fuel pressure gauge handy. Next time it does it, get a gauge on it quick. You probably have a fuel pump going south (ask me how I know.) The second owner of the car I just sold reports that the new fuel pump I put in solved the problem. Your description matches the issue I had almost perfectly.

The reason pressure seems low was since the cat was clogged and the trims were negative (restricted bank) less pressure was needed. If the pump was going bad the duty cycle would be high for a given pressure.

When the truck was running fine (3-4 months) I believe the highway driving was burning the restrictions off enough. This truck doesn't see too much highway as my wife drives it mostly. Even with the cat clogged if I reset the trims it rode much better but over time the negative trims were winning out.

What I believe effected the originals cat's life was a COPs that were going bad when I was going through the issue with the dealer several years ago. Eventually they were all replaced. I never trusted the OEM coils due to all the issues I had back then so this time around I opted for the Accel coils and 18 months later one went bad (so far).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back