Jeep Grand Cherokee (2005-2010 WK's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am saving up for a potential purchase of a Jeep Grand Cherokee in the next year or so. I have read the Consumer Reports review and they are not stellar when compared to some of the Asian Mid-Size SUV's. I really like this era of the Grand Cherokee however. This would be my son's first car, as well as family dog truck etc... I am think Laredo 4x4 with 3.7L, it will not be very quick with this combo, but I want to keep it basic while he learns some skills.

Any advice on what to look out for or option packages to avoid? I have no problem doing basic fluid/brake/suspension maintenance.

Thanks.

I have seen a lot of high mileage 3.7s. I would guess fuel economy would be about the same as the 4.7 though.

I had the 2009 Laredo with the 3.7 engine for 3 years. No problems at all. Sold it because I decided the 2012 Limited offered so much more. Most of my driving is mountains on dirt. Handling is fantastic.

Both were real comfortable, but the 2012 is much nicer. It also has 290 hp instead of the 210 of the 3.7. Mileage is about 12% better than the 3.7, which was about 3% better than the 93 GCL that I had before with the 4.0.

Both the 2009 and the 2012 are so much nicer than the 99 4Runner I had.
2012_Grand_Cherokee.jpg

1999_4Runner_salar.jpg

Last edited:
I'm far from being a fan of that generation (WK) of Grand Cherokee at all. The drivetrain is fine, but it got too big and boxy and lost its real offroad ability, as well as having too many Daimler/Cerberus induced quality issues. The current version (WK2) is even more upscale, but it did at least get better both on- and off-road than the WK. Still not up there with the ZJ and WJ though. My favorite Grand Cherokee is the WJ. But look at my sig- both the ZJ and WJ are essentially enlarged XJs with better rear suspension and different drivetrain options.

Thanks for the replies. I saw the MPG ratings...figured its an SUV, my son is not a sports car type-he likes camping, hiking and shooting, so SUV is a natural. I try to like Subaru's but just not 100% there for me. I really just want a simple SUV that works. Toyota's are 2.5x the cost to buy used; but I guess and Xterra could be an option? The WK's have great crash ratings-which is the first thing my wife will ask about..

440 Magnum: http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/ex...6&v=t100379

I get what you are saying about weight and off-road; losing SFA for independent. Most of the time it will be doing suburban Chicago driving. I am sure the new WK2's are much nicer but that is way out of my budget- I will need several or more years of depreciation to kick in to get it into the correct $$ amount.

My mom has one, it never required any major repairs in the 7 years and 133,000 miles she has had it. Even the front brakes are original.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Thanks Widman-I think you are the first person to indicate an American vehicle to be nicer than a Toyota! Was it the comfort? Or off-road ability?

he's outside the country and outside the anti american vehicle bias. amazing huh

Had a 2005 Laredo w/ the 3.7 and just traded in a 2008 Limited, loaded, w/ the 5.3. I've had a lot of Jeeps and am biased towards them, but my experience was less than stellar, but I would not run away from the right one at the right deal. There are better options though.

The '05 was pretty basic, but had transmission leaks and a few other, relatively minor drivetrain issues. Decent car, cloth seats were durable but stained really easily.

The '08 Limited was a bit disappointing. Decided I finally wanted a higher end daily driver and this was a decent car but it had some irritating and one dangerous issues.

The electric xfer case shift mechanism pulled the car into neutral on a few occasions, once after I shut the car off possibly when sitting w/ the key in finishing a 'phone call. Luckily I always set the handbrake, however my Wife and babysitter also drove it...this one got my attention. I heard clicking and an electric motor sound a few times when shutting down then one morning, I tried to drive away and the xfer case was in neutral w/ the Low Range indicator glowing slightly. Dealer got me in the next day when I called on this one.

HVAC resistors overheated at ~30k miles causing a noxious burnt electronics smell, fixed once and the smell started to return when I traded the car. The radio/nav/bluetooth was OK but would lose my phone every few months, had to completely reboot it once or twice. The vinyl portion of the "leather faced" seats cracked down to the fabric at~25k miles/3 years...unacceptable. I wanted to like the car, but it just wasn't up to its intended market. Honestly, this one sold me on a Range Rover. Figured if I was going to have reliability issues anyway, might as well get a Rover...

That being said, they are decent, safe (crash wise at least), easy to work on w/ good all weather/off road capability. I'd probably look elsewhere first, namely the Asian midsizes, but if you really want one of these, look for a base one.

i would definitely consider the xterra route, they are starting to become cheap on the earlier years. if you wrench yourself there are a few deals to be had.

My folks had a 2005 WK Limited with the 5.7L. Theirs ate rear axles for lunch. Jeep put rear differentials and/or entire rear housings in that Jeep three or four different times. They eventually lemon-law'd it back to Jeep. I don't know if that's a common issue or not, but for some reason, theirs would ruin an axle in no time.

The 2005 Acura MDX that we now own replaced that 2005 Grand Cherokee. They ventured back into the Jeep brand with Wranglers. Relatively simple vehicles.

These were made at the worst period for Chrysler quality.

The 3.7 engines had head gasket problems. The Benz transmission was pretty reliable.

Has IFS, as long as you don't do any serious off roading the IFS holds up well. The front ends don't hold up ... at all ... to off roading.

The electronic transfer cases were sometimes problematic.

Originally Posted By: typ901
Thanks Widman-I think you are the first person to indicate an American vehicle to be nicer than a Toyota! Was it the comfort? Or off-road ability?

Much quieter, much less lean in corners, much better grip of the road (about 10 mph faster on sharp mountain curves), quiet easy cruising at 100 mph without feeling the speed. Much better torque curve at all engine speeds. Toyota was a dud below 2000 rpm.

Also much better seating. Toyota did not have lumbar adjustments. 16 hours in the Toyota was a hard day. 16 hours in the GCL leaves my back without pain. My frequent drive between my two homes/offices is half dirt/mud/gravel and half pavement. 12 to 16 hours in the Toyota, 9 to 11 hours in the GCL as it takes the gravel curves with better traction all around and better speed recovery after the curve.

Much better sound system.

Toyota hydrolocked at 60,000 miles and bent a rod. Differential seals went out by 20,000.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i would definitely consider the xterra route, they are starting to become cheap on the earlier years. if you wrench yourself there are a few deals to be had.

Wife had an '05 she bought before my time. It is definitely a "real" SUV. Noisy on the highway but pretty comfortable seats. Avoid the 05-06 model as they had an issue with a bad timing chain guide that was resolved by 07 if I remember correctly. In general the 05-06 has quite a few TSBs on it. Radiator can fail causing coolant to mix with trans fluid. Warranty was extended to 7/80 on the radiator for some years. A bunch of people just bypassed the main radiator and didnt see an issue with transmission fluid temps.

We got rid of hers because she wanted something more comfortable and better mpg. We'd get about 15-16 in traffic with 20-21 highway. Plus it had a number of issues needing attention like the timing chain guide, a squeaking front suspension (another TSB), and I needed to either preemptively replace the radiator or do the bypass. No problems though leading up to then. Just a number of Nissan documented issues coming due. Thenewx website is a good resource though if you wanted to read up on it. The newer models don't have the same problems the 05-06 have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back