Tonight's rental - 2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe 2.0 turbo.

Gosh...I forgot to follow up on this. Overall, it showed 21.7mpg. Not great, not terrible. I verified this number at the gas pump.

Started out early in the morning with 78% charge on the battery. It had 17% battery when I picked it up at the airport. The charging cord was hiding in the spare tire well, and had never been used prior to me. I picked up that additional 70% of charge in around 8 hours or so, using a 110 volt outlet.

One thing that tripped me up, was that I raised the hood (to check the oil and washer fluid) while it was plugged in/charging, and it stopped charging. After opening and closing the hood several times, and plugging and and unplugging the charger... it wouldn't resume charging until I uplugged it, started the gas engine, shut it off, and then plugged it back in again. Maybe there's something else that I'm missing here... but that made it take a charge again and that's all I cared about.

I left it in Hybrid mode to see how far I could get until it got down to 50%, then I put it in e-save mode, to save as much of that 50% as possible for later in the day. I made it across 65 miles of 85% interstate, 10% two lane, and 5% urban before switching over to 'e-save' mode at 50%. At this point, the gas gauge showed that I'd used around a gallon of gas. I determined this because the 'miles to empty' calculation for the gasoline had gone down by 20 miles.

I saved the rest of the 50% to use on the return trip home. However, it ended up being more like 40% because it kept putting itself back into Hybrid mode after it had been shut off... and I didn't catch it right away. Everytime the engine is shut off, it automatically resets to Hybrid mode when re-started. I'm not surprised that it does this by default, but not a fan of it, and maybe it can be changed to default to something else in the settings somehow. The Hybrid/Electric/e-save switch is in a horrible spot on the dash, completely obstructed by the steering wheel. It isn't obvious as to which mode it is in, unless you look.

When passing on two-lane roads or on the interstate, this thing was a rocket. It goes from 60 to 100 in about 4 seconds. This powertrain could easily run at 90 miles an hour, all day long (but I'm not sure how well it would do when the battery is at 0%, and it is solely reliant on the 2.0 turbo). It was silky smooth when at speed and out on the open road. I constantly had to whoa it down from 80+ on two lane rural highways. There was little perception at all as to how fast I was really going.

It was nice and quiet on the inside, but there were times when under demand that the 2.0 engine would get thrashy and noisy. The steering sometimes had an annoying tendency to gently wander to the left and right, but I suspect that it might have been tracking in and out of slight depressions in the asphalt pavement, pounded in by semi trucks. I've felt the same sensation on roads that are so rutted by semis, that you can see the water standing in the ruts and no where else, after a light rainfall.

There was so much light coming through the dual panel sunroof (above both front and back seats) that it washed out the navigation screen. Maybe there was a way to make it brighter, but I never found it. Plus it doesn't help that the nav panel is angled upwards towards the sunroof.

The ambient wrap around soft mood lighting in the cabin, that lit up after dark was a nice touch as well.

All of the typical nanny functions were there and available, including lane keep/lane departure and whatnot.

The Google navigation and the Alpine stereo system were top notch. I felt that the seats were too hard, and simply weren't as comfortable as they could have been. It seems to me that sometimes, the leather is just stretched way too tightly, and it makes hard seats even harder. I do love the shape and comfort of the cloth seats in the 2019+ Ram 1500 trucks though.

When I got home, it still had 8% on the battery, so I ran it back out to the airport in electric mode. It played what I could call "new age" (relaxion/meditation/yoga) music ever so softly through the stereo, I assume to cover up some of the noise/whine of the electric drivetrain. But driving it in electric mode gave me the full appreiciation of how much it contributes to the gasoline drivetrain. And it burned through all 8% in less than two miles.

Unfortunately, there was no window sticker to be found, and I really wanted to find one. It had Missouri plates and was registered to EAM Holdings (aka Enterprise) out of St. Louis.

Yep, I'd drive one as a rental again... gladly. To own one at around $65,000... no thanks.

Having Breakfast at the Triple XXX Family Restaurant/Drive-In in scenic downtown West Lafayette, IN.
View attachment 202365
Sounds like a decent trip for you. Learning one too. For $65,000 I would have to be look for something like a 1970 Charger SE! ;) or
a 1972 Buick GSX ..................................zooooom

I've taken my Wrangler on a few 200 mile round trips and it is hardly a penalty box. However, that type of driving is not where the 4xe excels. I have a 24 mile round trip commute so the IC will usually only run for a couple of miles- if at all. I plug it in every night so I rarely fill the tank more than once per month. Living on a farm directly adjacent to a forested area I need something that can drag a fallen tree out of the way or be able to drive around it with no drama. For me, the 4xe is a perfect fit. I do miss my 1999 Wrangler a bit; I owned it for 21 years and it was always rough and ready, but the 4xe is far more versatile.
That’s exactly what I mean. With the right use it would be amazing. I know I wouldn’t see the greatest fuel economy with so much highway driving compared to my current vehicle.

It’s 375HP supposedly. I don’t know from my 2000 mile trip that I would rate it an honest 375HP, but it was adequate especially when driving intelligently rather than reactively. I’d put it on par with the 3.6 for acceleration.
Is that electric plus gas? That’s nearly 200hp/L of just on gas. That’s a lot. Doable but a lot.

No clue. But the racket the 2.0 makes is atrocious. Makes a 2500HP CAT diesel sound like library talk.
That’s why I don’t like this trend of putting four bangers in vehicles that are supposed to be more on the luxury side. They may have good TQ and HP, but they don’t feel and sound refined.

I know manufacturers do it because it’s cheaper, I just thought people buying at this price point would care more, clearly they do not.

That’s why I don’t like this trend of putting four bangers in vehicles that are supposed to be more on the luxury side. They may have good TQ and HP, but they don’t feel and sound refined.

I know manufacturers do it because it’s cheaper, I just thought people buying at this price point would care more, clearly they do not.
Just like I said… the Expedition Limited I got after the 4xe have literally the same price to the customer. The Expedition is larger, comfier, feels more powerful, is more refined, ended up getting nearly the same mileage on the highway, and will never need a battery pack replacement, plus it doesn’t embarrass you to start it up in front of your friends. Ford gets my money every time if these are representative options.

The one that comes to mind to me is the Volkswagen Arteon. Of course it's already cancelled now so it's really nothing now, but using the 2.0T in nearly the output of the Golf R isn't really the engine this car should have had. The 3.6 VR6 was the real answer.

Not to kick Stellantis around, but this vehicle is something that I would never own if it wasn't under warranty.
Too much technology to risk, on something that was designed and built by Stellantis.
There are many times that just because you can do it... it doesn't always mean that you should.

Last edited:
Just like I said… the Expedition Limited I got after the 4xe have literally the same price to the customer. The Expedition is larger, comfier, feels more powerful, is more refined, ended up getting nearly the same mileage on the highway, and will never need a battery pack replacement, plus it doesn’t embarrass you to start it up in front of your friends. Ford gets my money every time if these are representative option

Stellantis did a couple of things, some that directly effect buyers and some that effect buyers and the company.

1) they were able to capture the ev credit (whether directly or through the various loopholes). This is before the fat discounts and lease offers that ford can basically never offer on the expedition.
2) bank their overall epa carbon credits and increase their total fleet fuel mileage.

You made the right choice! Those wranglers suck at highway driving, at least my 2010 JK4 did.
I won't directly say anything bad of the Wrangler because I really like it, but it does not feel at home at 70mph on the highway. I would have one if my driving habits leaned towards the Wrangler's strong suits.

The JL is actually pretty good on the highway, for what it is.
I think that depends heavily on what it is compared to and the "for what it is" part of your statement is a huge qualifier.

I won't directly say anything bad of the Wrangler because I really like it, but it does not feel at home at 70mph on the highway. I would have one if my driving habits leaned towards the Wrangler's strong suits.

I think that depends heavily on what it is compared to and the "for what it is" part of your statement is a huge qualifier.

I always try to look at the big picture, you're not going to be able to compare it's highway manners to a 7 Series, but for short runs on the highway it'll sail along at 75 confidently.

My wife picked up a used 2023 JL 4xe Rubicon. Mainly uses it around town. Love the fact that it's easy to park and has a great turning radius. So far have gone 8 weeks between fill ups. Mainly use electric on her short trips and we just use the 110 charger. Takes 12 hours to fully charge from a 1% battery.

One thing is put it in 4 wheel auto and man does it get up and go with a full charge. Surprised the heck out of me. As for ride comfort, I was also surprised how well it rode around town and out on the interstate at 70mph. I expected a harsh ride but it wasn't. At least to me anyway.

On a long drive at 55mph it made it 25 miles before the battery was done. Now that is her driving. It would be interesting to see if my style would be different.

Also noticed that when Max Regen is turned on and you let off the gas, it seriously slows down. Basically you can do one pedal driving in a way. Also noticed that when you do let off the gas and it is in Max regen, it will turn the bake lights on for a few seconds. I guess this is to let the person behind know you are slowing down and it makes sense since it slows down so fast.

I just got done doing a full wash, de iron, clay, polish and ceramic coat on it. Looks great.

Back