Oil to use in Yamaha Nytro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
I was wondering what oil to use in my Nytro. Some people are using oW20 redline and Mobil 1 oil. They claim because it is so light it increases HP. Is it okay to use 0W20 in my nytro or should I go with 0W30 or 0W40. I would like to use reline oil but it is very hard to get in canada. Any suggestions?

You should stick with that. Any power gain from lighter oil would be unnoticeable. I happen to like Red Line. Go for it.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
You should stick with that. Any power gain from lighter oil would be unnoticeable. I happen to like Red Line. Go for it.

I would go with Redline but you cant buy it on this half of the country (I am in newfoundland) I think I will go with amsoil 0W30. Does anyone know what the zinc and phosforus amounts are in Amsoil 0W30?

Why not try Castrol Syntec 0W30(now goes under the moniker EDGE I beleive; the Made in Germany variety). It is available at Canadian Tire, comes on sale quite regularly and is a top-notch oil (do a search for German Castrol and you'll find all you'll need to know). Likely your least expensive and best option IMO

Last edited:
I set my father up w/ a gallon of Shell RTS at the end of last season. I think that he had the regular Yamalube in it prior to that. So this coming season will be the test for that stuff. I used RTS for many years in my FJR. Not sure if you realise it or not but the Yamaha 4-stroke triple (NOT to ever be confused w/ the real Yamaha triple, the Red Head!) is a corporate hack-job on an FJR engine. So RTS will work just fine. But I really like the GC idea. And I even GC in the FJR for one OCI. Too bad that I never had UOA done on that oil... Anyway, like pretty much any HDEO or 'bike oil,' the Feejer seems to be good w/ whatever I have dosed it with. A buddy of mine ran RTS in his Apex in behind Buchanan - never any issues. Nor should there be!

For what its worth, I just changed out the FJR's sump for a load of Shell T5 RT Semi-syn 10W-30 as that's all that I am gonna run in 5.9 Cummins. Nice to have one oil serve a couple of needs. But I'm getting a bit off topic.

Does CT not have a Canadian-specific T5 that's fully synthetic & 0W-something? Might be interesting. I'm using the semi-syn Yankee product.

Just how much oil is in that dry sump, anyway? Pretty small, yes? I really like the idea of GC for your application & it is a pretty cheap solution.

I found out last week that I can get Redline products at cost here. Guy owns a large parts distributing store & builds gonzo H-D's. He has their Shock Proof gear oils for, like, twelve bucks a quart. Niche market, not widely known locally. Will be using in all my applications hence forward.

John.

The original 973cc triple used in the first Vector was indeed 3/4 of an FJR engine. Have a look here:
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/technology/pdf/Genesis120.pdf

Good article... I wrote it
smile.gif

How long before Yamaha uses the 1050cc Nytro (and new FI Vector) triple as the basis for an FJR1400? That would be a sweet bike mill.....

Last edited:
Great input Mik, as always. You're a great resource here. As regards the article that you wrote, you wrote it well. I still wish that Yamaha hadn't dumped the two-stroke triples, though...
mad.gif
I ain't never selling mine. Cannot wait to see how the current set-up on my Mountain Max's red head is going to work this winter.
grin.gif

Honestly, I have no idea how much more power such an engine as you mentioned in a re-worked FJR would generate. Simple answer? Tons of it. I am well-served by the current mill in the FJR for the foreseeable future. That thing plain MOVES me. Everything about it just works so well.

If my father notices anything untoward in how his triple works this winter (poorer fuel economy or starting issues) w/ the RTS in it, I'll mention it here. Yeah, GC is probably just about perfect now that I really think about it. I wonder how bad that engine dumps fuel into it's oil - if at all. Only, what, 2.9 litres was it? That's p i s s-all for oil. Of course, no wet clutch & I can guess that the reduced oil capacity has a lot to do w/ THAT fact as much as reduced engine speed & rotating mass.

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back