Any opinions on Standard Motor Products parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer
I need a sensor quickly and OEM is backordered. Rock Auto has this brand available but I'm not familiar with them. Any opinions?

Back in the day, Standard was the leading brand in the aftermarket. They've lost some market share, and don't make all their own product anymore, but they are still a quality brand. They supply to OEM standards. I would use with confidence.

What part is it and for what vehicle?
Standard was one of the very best at one time but now have gone down the same road as many others, mediocre consumer grade stuff in many cases.
A lot of stuff made in China or elsewhere in third world Asia, some good some not. Stay well clear of their T series (green box), this is real junk.
Buy their standard red box or Blue Streak (rare these days in the US) only if you buy SMP products.

Some of their better parts for Asian cars are the Intermotor (usually OEM brand e.g. Hitachi, Panasonic, etc or other Japanese).
BWD (previously Borg Warner) is also SMP and sold at a lower price, same exact part different box most of the time.

Beck/Arnley and Airtex/Wells have been pretty good, they are repackagers but the parts i have gotten have been OEM or major brand including Intermotor, Delphi, Hitachi, etc.

Originally Posted By: Trav
What part is it and for what vehicle?

Trav, it's a wheel speed sensor for a Chrysler Concorde. Rock Auto also offers the Airtex Wells, although that was out of stock

Everything else being equal, I would choose an SMP part over an Airtex Wells part. With the condition that it's not a "T" series part, as Trav says. All SMP T series parts have a "T" as the last character of the part number.

Standard Motor Products makes the BWD brand,the Napa/Echlin line,and at least one economy line.I wouldnt consider them better/worse than anyone else.Most everything is a copycat anyway,and its rare to get original grade parts as a replacement.Even with the Ac-Delco,Mopar,Motorcraft packaging does not mean the exact same part as originally installed on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back