2010 Accord 2.4L, 26,000 miles, Mobil 1 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not really impressed with this and hopefully it is just some break in metal. I was honestly expecting better being a Honda. The sodium is from the previous oil change being Valvoline. This is 26,000 on my car, 7000 on the oil in 6 months and the MM was at 30%

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
winter oil change + sheared out of viscosity range = more wear yep. I'd also venture to guess that it had heavy fuel dilution that then evap. off 350F seems awful low FP for a "trace"

might want to add 1-2 qt of 5w30 so its thicker if its going to shear like that

Last edited:
Edit out your personal info....Goto photobucket-edit-decorate and delete.
I would try a 0w20 and retest. I would bet a full synthetic will hold up better.

Originally Posted By: Seb
Edit out your personal info....Goto photobucket-edit-decorate and delete.
I would try a 0w20 and retest. I would bet a full synthetic will hold up better.

he's using M1 5w20

Haha…his report isn't that bad. And Mobil 1 isn't either. I'm thinking the winter driving has a lot more to do with it.

That would make me want to use a 0w 30 or 5w 30. What are your driving habits? A lot of short trips?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
That would make me want to use a 0w 30 or 5w 30. What are your driving habits? A lot of short trips?

I work 12 miles away all country roads, short trips on lunch. When I go anywhere it is at least a 20 min drive, mostly country roads and everything gets warmed up.

When I took the sample at my oil change I refilled the car with Mobil 1 because that is what I had a stock of. I have used up my Mobil 1 5W20 so what oil would you suggest I try next? I have about 10 quarts or Motorcraft syn blend 5W20 on my shelf right now. I am thinking of sticking to Motorcraft or PYB from now on because I do not put all that many miles on my car to warrant expensive synthetic.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
When I took the sample at my oil change I refilled the car with Mobil 1 because that is what I had a stock of. I have used up my Mobil 1 5W20 so what oil would you suggest I try next? I have about 10 quarts or Motorcraft syn blend 5W20 on my shelf right now. I am thinking of sticking to Motorcraft or PYB from now on because I do not put all that many miles on my car to warrant expensive synthetic.

Seeing that a 20w sheared to 6.2 cst, if it were my car it would get a 0w 30 oil or 5w 30 oil.

. . . what oil would you suggest I try next? I have about 10 quarts [of] Motorcraft syn blend 5W20 on my shelf right now. I am thinking of sticking to Motorcraft or PYB from now on because I do not put all that many miles on my car to warrant expensive synthetic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Honda specified 0W-20 weight oil for the 2010 Accord. If so and you are concerned about potential engine warranty issues, you're stuck with 0W-20 weight oil and, so far, there aren't any conventional or semi-synthetic 0W-20 weight motor oils available in the U.S.

That said, the Motorcraft ("MC") 5W-20 weight oil you have sitting on a shelf was manufactured by ConocoPhillips, the same guys who now bottle Honda's housebrand 5W-20 and 0W-20 weight oils. A slew of UOAs have confirmed 5W-20 weight "Honda" motor oil and Motorcraft 5W-20 weight are virtually identical, and both are semi-synthetics. As a practical matter, IMHO your Honda will thrive on the stuff (or virtually any other name brand oil, for that matter).

FWIW, the UOA/shearing result you posted seems like an anomoly. However, if you're really concerned, run a couple of MC 5k OCIs and see what the results are after that. In any case, unless you have some other reason for concern, I wouldn't worry about Blackstone's analysis.

Originally Posted By: Hounds
. . . what oil would you suggest I try next? I have about 10 quarts [of] Motorcraft syn blend 5W20 on my shelf right now. I am thinking of sticking to Motorcraft or PYB from now on because I do not put all that many miles on my car to warrant expensive synthetic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Honda specified 0W-20 weight oil for the 2010 Accord. If so and you are concerned about potential engine warranty issues, you're stuck with 0W-20 weight oil and, so far, there aren't any conventional or semi-synthetic 0W-20 weight motor oils available in the U.S.

That said, the Motorcraft ("MC") 5W-20 weight oil you have sitting on a shelf was manufactured by ConocoPhillips, the same guys who now bottle Honda's housebrand 5W-20 and 0W-20 weight oils. A slew of UOAs have confirmed 5W-20 weight "Honda" motor oil and Motorcraft 5W-20 weight are virtually identical, and both are semi-synthetics. As a practical matter, IMHO your Honda will thrive on the stuff (or virtually any other name brand oil, for that matter).

FWIW, the UOA/shearing result you posted seems like an anomoly. However, if you're really concerned, run a couple of MC 5k OCIs and see what the results are after that. In any case, unless you have some other reason for concern, I wouldn't worry about Blackstone's analysis.

The 2011 Accord switch to 0W20, but I plan to run my current fill of Mobil 1 for 5000 miles and test to see how well it did then switch over to MC and use up what I have.

Interesting UOA. I usually run longer OCIs with lesser quality syn (Peak, QSUD) on the same car. Maybe one of these days I should have a UOA done.

Originally Posted By: Hounds

The 2011 Accord switch to 0W20, but I plan to run my current fill of Mobil 1 for 5000 miles and test to see how well it did then switch over to MC and use up what I have.

The 2010 was back spec'd to 0w-20. I'd give that a try, but looking at your UOA, I wouldn't be worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back