Best Sealed Wheel Bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to replace a front wheel bearing on a PT.

Who makes the best or at least still makes the bearings in the US.

Choices are SKF, Timken, National

Any opinions appreciated.

Note the set up is a pressed hub into the bearing seated in the knuckle.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I like and use Timken.

I 2nd that! Just installed one about a month ago...

Avoid the ones made in Austria. They do not seem to last for more than 120k miles.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I always use National with no regrets.
Those are all good brands as long as they are not made off shore.

Do any of your local parts stores have them in stock? I ask b/c you could go ask to take a look at the parts to see where they're made.

Timkin and SKF are both good brands. I'm not too familiar with National. But, likely all three could be made offshore.

I would buy based on country of origin. If one them was made in a top-tier manufacturing country (USA, Japan, Germany etc.), I'd buy that one.

Last edited:
Timken or SKF

I usually use timken cuz they are cheaper than SKF so far.

Also I think alot (if not all) moog are national brand. I put a Moog on my bro's truck and when I pulled it out of the box it was stamped National.

Last edited:
All three are decent brands but none of them may be made in N. American. Of the three I'd say SKF is the best. Since it is just a bearing cartridge the OE shouldn't be too expensive from an online discounter. It might still be up to twice as much as the aftermarket ones but were only talking maybe $20-30.

With all the work involved and wanting the best and made in N. American, I'd go OE then SKF.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I always use National with no regrets.
Those are all good brands as long as they are not made off shore.

Do any of your local parts stores have them in stock? I ask b/c you could go ask to take a look at the parts to see where they're made.

Timkin and SKF are both good brands. I'm not too familiar with National. But, likely all three could be made offshore.

I would buy based on country of origin. If one them was made in a top-tier manufacturing country (USA, Japan, Germany etc.), I'd buy that one.

The place I always bought my Saturn wheel bearings from has them in stock usually. They are also a good price there that's why I've bought National. Of the National's I've installed on my Saturns, none ended up having to be done twice, which is more than I can say for the white box ones that I had a local garage install once.

I am not sure which one of those bearings is absolutely the best, I just know that all 3 work well, and that cheap bearings last about 10,000 miles.

I will probably just buy one from the dealer, can get a mopar bearing online from a dealer for 60$.

I am guessing the bearing should be better quality since the OEM's tend to have tighter tolerance for defective parts and for an extra 30$ I can swallow that.

I am sure the others are good too but in this case since I will be spinning the wrenches doing it I'll splurge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back