Which wheel hub brand to get from rockauto? (no wheel bearing)

Hello, I am replacing my wheel bearing and going with either a koyo, BCA, SKF or TIMKEN wheel bearing. Apparently those companies do not make wheel hubs for my car. My option for wheel hub only on rockauto is SKP, WJB, and Durago. Which do you think is best? Or should I just use my oem one that already in the car? thank you.

Hello, I am replacing my wheel bearing and going with either a koyo, BCA, SKF or TIMKEN wheel bearing. Apparently those companies do not make wheel hubs for my car. My option for wheel hub only on rockauto is SKP, WJB, and Durago. Which do you think is best? Or should I just use my oem one that already in the car? thank you.
Considering options, go OE.

Are we just talking a machined WMS with wheel studs? I wouldn't necessarily fear any of them, machining tends to be decent even from China.

But if the original isn't grooved, polish it a bit with high grit and reuse.

SKF bearings and seals never let me down.

Edit. I saw after you typed skp, not skf. Tricky buggers.

What car?

Those three options are not great.
00 mazda mpv

oem is brand new is backordered til god knows when

rockauto have those 3 options for just the hub. There is raybestos for hub+ wheel bearing but i dont trust their wheel bearing and from reviews the hub rust fast.

napa have dorman brand

so it seems like my best option is to reuse my old hubs?

00 mazda mpv

rockauto have those 3 options for just the hub. There is raybestos for hub+ wheel bearing but i dont trust their wheel bearing and from reviews the hub rust fast.

napa have dorman brand

I would suspect Dorman and SKP come from the same (or equivalent) factories. But I bet NAPA commands a premium $$

Yes, it's SOP on Subarus to reuse the hub if it's not grooved from a failed bearing. But sometimes you must replace if the bearing damaged its press fit spindle.

So long as the press fit is good, I see zero reason to not reuse a round hunk of steel.

On a '97 Legacy recently I had to replace it all. Autozone sold a kit with everything (bearing, hub, nut, snap ring). O'Reilly didn't have the hub available at all IIRC.

I would suspect Dorman and SKP come from the same (or equivalent) factories. But I bet NAPA commands a premium $$

Yes, it's SOP on Subarus to reuse the hub if it's not grooved from a failed bearing. But sometimes you must replace if the bearing damaged its press fit spindle.

So long as the press fit is good, I see zero reason to not reuse a round hunk of steel.

On a '97 Legacy recently I had to replace it all. Autozone sold a kit with everything (bearing, hub, nut, snap ring). O'Reilly didn't have the hub available at all IIRC.

I wish napa had the premium version but its the Line: NAPA Solutions

do people usually replace both driver and passenger side wheel bearing when one goes down? my front pass is the only issue at the moment

do people usually replace both driver and passenger side wheel bearing when one goes down? my front pass is the only issue at the moment
I personally don't. There used to be the argument that if one goes "the other isn't far behind" but I'm not sure that applies to modern manufacturing anymore.

I mean sometimes you'll see a unit bearing (on, say a GMT800) fail kinda early while the other side might last 300k+

OTOH I'm busy enough I don't go looking for work. Fix the squeaky wheel and move on....

I would just do the one! The other one still on your car might outlast the replacement!

I mean sometimes you'll see a unit bearing (on, say a GMT800) fail kinda early while the other side might last 300k+

OTOH I'm busy enough I don't go looking for work. Fix the squeaky wheel and move on....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS!

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

Do hubs themselves wear out? :unsure:

You could possibly get a junkyard hub and put a new OEM bearing in it. The bearing matters more than the hub itself.

Depending on the vehicle, OEM isn't always great either. Had a 2005 Equinox that chewed through front hubs. First couple were under warranty at the dealer. When out of warranty I did them myself with cheap Detroit Axle units off eBay. Those lasted longer than OEM the dealer put on, and were still going when I got rid of it.

00 mazda mpv

napa have dorman brand

I just looked at Rockauto. It appear the front hub + bearing kits by those three brands still require the hub and bearing to be pressed together.

When looking at the bearing only, there are several good brands: Timken (picture shows NTN), SKF, SCHAEFFLER (F.A.G.).

I would be tempted to buy a bearing from one of the good brands, then one of the less expensive hub + bearing kits. That way you get the hub, nut, and lock ring along with a quality bearing. Then chunk the cheapo bearing.

You could also look at buying or renting the tools to separate the bearing from the hub. Depending on the condition of the existing, it may or may not separate without a fuss. But I absolutely would not go about this without the new hub in hand. Sometimes the path of least resistance costs a bit more, but its worth it to save frustration.

Good luck.

Back