Costco Clean Power Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen it mentioned several times that Costco now has gas with a greater level of additives (supposedly 6 times more than federally required).

Any idea how this stacks up against top tier?

When I see the lineups at Costco gas pumps I wonder who thinks the wait-time is worth the few bucks savings.

I hate when the soap bubbles come out of the pipe, though.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
http://shop.costco.com/en/In-The-Warehouse/Gasoline/Clean-Power-Locations.aspx

According to Costco website, Clean Power gasoline is not available in California for some reasons (related to CARB regulation ?). Additive is 5 times EPA required.

As always that's too bad for us in California. I guess adding my own additives is a good thing just in case.

I wonder if it'll reach us sooner or later if the carb rules change. Already the prices are going up fast and so my usual standard ARCO will be way over $4 bucks/gallon.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Tegger
When I see the lineups at Costco gas pumps I wonder who thinks the wait-time is worth the few bucks savings.

You're right but in 3 circumstances it makes sense:

1) I'm at Costco anyway and taking a detour will cost more time and money
2) I'm travelling. With Costco I would know that the price is going to be competitive and the gas quality is good
3) When there are no queues!

Last edited:
my local costco gas price $ 3.37 /gallon.. chevron $3.47 / gallon. It is not worth waiting in line for the saving of $1.50. plus chevron gas is better anyway..

I've used the clean power (it just came to the Columbus market before Christmas.) I see no difference between the Costco and Shell (the only "Top Tier" around these parts.)

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I've used the clean power (it just came to the Columbus market before Christmas.) I see no difference between the Costco and Shell (the only "Top Tier" around these parts.)

The Costco then should shave off on cost.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

The Costco then should shave off on cost.

Today: Costco $3.32.9 vs. Shell $3.45.9. Nice shave.

Originally Posted By: moto94536
my local costco gas price $ 3.37 /gallon.. chevron $3.47 / gallon. It is not worth waiting in line for the saving of $1.50. plus chevron gas is better anyway..

I fill up 2x a week at costco. Average savings like you said is $1.50. so 3 dollars a week x 52 weeks a year = $156 Enough to take my lovely wife out for a nice dinner and a bottle of wine
smile.gif

costco gas is not on my list. I use 1400 gallons of gas a year. I could save $140 by using costco gas. But I don't. I personally like chevron gas.

That's cool, wasn't really arguing against your decision, just pointing out what fuels my decision.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
http://shop.costco.com/en/In-The-Warehouse/Gasoline/Clean-Power-Locations.aspx

According to Costco website, Clean Power gasoline is not available in California for some reasons (related to CARB regulation ?). Additive is 5 times EPA required.

Just revisiting an old thread. Of course the list has been updated several times since you posted this. My understanding is that the Clean Power branding only goes into stations that have been fitted with holding tanks for their detergent additive and that base fuel is delivered to the station. The operator is supposed to enter the amount of fuel delivered, and the system will automatically meter the specified concentration of the additive. I don't think they want their employee in the

Apparently for the stations that aren't fitted with the equipment, they're not going out and having someone measure out a quantity of UltraZol 9888 to add to the tanks before the fuel is dumped in.

However, I've personally been to three of the Costco locations in California where they advertise this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back