what about motor honey??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
I'm with some of the others on this issue. Rather than adding some snake oil with unknown properties, move up a grade. If you are burning oil with xW-30, move up to 0W-40 or 0W-40 with a touch of 20W-50.

Motor oils are hardly designed for engines that are way off spec with whatever varied problem they might be afflicted with. (They are designed for newer or otherwise at least healthy cars.) Additives on the other hand are designed for some more specific applications. There are some unknown properties and there are makers of just snake oil too, so therefore if one can find testimonials and experiences posted online, then it could help make a better guess at choosing a product.

The only thickener that was ever really with anything IMO was VSOT. I would be hesitant to use that in today's engines though.

I put up a similar posting as yours. Mine is titled "STP". Got mostly a NO vote. However, most of the NO sentiment was because they felt you could do the same job be going up on the oil, say to 10w-40 or so. My feeling were just like yours....all I wanted to do in my GMC PU was stop using the 1 qt of 10w-30 between changes. So I went up and added STP. Reasoning was it was thick and would be coated on engine parts at startup. Another reason was I felt it would help lubricate. It worked. I have 431k miles on a 4.3 GMC engine with all the power I had when I bought it 15 years ago. Your question is about oil consumption. Same as mine. Additives can be a real problem in cold, cold climates. You live in MO and I live in Alabama. Neither of us has -15 degree mornings to worry about all that. All manufactureres do not recommend additives. They want you to come in and BUY a new car!! Get the point?? Good luck with wehatever you do. Whatever you do remember this --you can always buy anothr engine at a salvage yard if you mess up and ruin the oil burning engine you now have. And I seriously doubt that is going to happen. Motor Honey has been arouynd a long, long time. If you do any damage to the oil burning engine you have now, which I seously doubt,its much cheaper to get an engine at a salvage yard than new car payments.

I agree. BUT! If you have one car, it's your daily driver and it's Dollar value is low. You may not be able to have the car out of service or be able to afford, or be able to justify, the expense of a rebuild

My sentiments exactly. The guy has a low value car. Keep it going till times are better. I did the same thing using STP. That was 15 years and 431k miles ago.

I had that same discussion with a guy once when I told him I used STP. His argument was thinner oil for good viscosity. I asked, nicely though, then why not just use straight 5w, or lets get them to make 2wt even better. Or 1wt. He thought about that but didnt have an answer. It was just a friendly discussion with different views as food for thought for both of us.

Saw the Motor Honey stuff yesterday at Dollar General.
Ill tell you this, I picked up the bottle and started flipping it, it looked like a Lava Lamp.
and then I asked myself "Who would put this stuff in their engine?"
Just the thought of something that thick scares me in my oil pan, imo youre better off using Criso, LOL!
I wouldnt let my truck SEE a bottle of that stuff, much less put it in it, Id go with a HDEO or a higher viscosity oil before I added anything to my oil, or use a HM Oil like QSHM or PHM

Just my 2 cents, theres a place for Honey, its on a waffle, not in your engine!

What about driveway sealer? It will thicken your oil up nicely and when it drips out of your engine will seal the driveway.

As the engine manufacturers say, no oil additives. If you want your oil to perform better, buy better oil.

You can sort of tell those that haven't been motoring in a really old beater before.

There's a place for additives, and NO ONE can say otherwise as the market dictates the need for them. Just not the sort of thing that's for everyone.

Aren't all the oil thickeners, including Motor Honey and good old STP, just bright stock? That is a very heavy viscosity Group I base oil used to adjust oil viscosity. They may add some dye or a small amount of additives mainly for advertising purposes. If you want thicker oil, buy thicker oil. Thickening yourself just dilutes the additive package and costs more.

20w50 FTW!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
What about driveway sealer? It will thicken your oil up nicely and when it drips out of your engine will seal the driveway.

As the engine manufacturers say, no oil additives. If you want your oil to perform better, buy better oil.

Driveway sealer may or may not contain ZDDP!

I agree with most here, its designed to have some gummy stuff that "helps" fix something decidedly "broken" (thicker gets it gone away in old engine not worth to open up.) STP, VSOT, or Motor Honey. Some even use Lucas but that seems to pale to others. it seems application-specific. Its almost like the "thinner flows better" argument (while true) means DIDDLY in a problem engine. 431k is proof enough for me. And 20W-50, while tempting.. doesnt have gummy stuff in it...

I like the "HALF a quart" add.

Why nobody mention the blue-green Rislone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back