side to side wandering in 2001 Jeep GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: Donald
I had a 98 GC with same issues. The combo of tall with a narrow wheel base had me wandering and leaning from day 1. Tire selection made a big difference. Ended up with larger rims/smaller sidewalls. best I could ever get it. Have a 2011 GC much wider, doesn't do it at all.

I understand, but this has gotten worse over the past few months. Especially when one side hits some rough pavement and the other side is OK. Around here for shoulder stability they often pave (over old pavement) the outside 4' or 5' and not the entire roadway.

Yeah I think your year still had the independent coil spring suspension. Great for climbing boulders and off roading, but acts strangely on mixed pavement. Got worse as it got older. Stiffer shocks help some, but will still lean over on the coil springs. A smaller sidewall by an inch may help prevent some of the sidewall roll. Also the quadra trac went, after replacement that clearly helped. It was surging some wheels more than others. Not sure if you have that.

I have SelecTrac. But something has indeed gotten worse over the past few months, tires were not replaced during that timeframe. It was not this bad when I bought it with 57K on it.

This may be helpful. Just talked to a co worker with an 04 Laredo. His symptoms were first it wandered, steering was loose, over time became really loud front right. Replaced the wheel hub assembly. Recommendation is perform a bearing test, verify no play.

This may be helpful. Just talked to a co worker with an 04 Laredo. His symptoms were first it wandered, steering was loose, over time became really loud front right. Replaced the wheel hub assembly. Recommendation is perform a bearing test, verify no play.

I am thinking this may be my problem.

Well - its tie rod ends. I thought they had checked out things a few months back, but then they were looking for a clunk, not a poor handling situation.

Its the left lower outer and right upper outer. In RockAuto I guess the right outer upper is the steering arm to steering arm and the left outer is the steering arm to pitman arm?

Moog or AcDelco?

Well - its tie rod ends. I thought they had checked out things a few months back, but then they were looking for a clunk, not a poor handling situation.

Its the left lower outer and right upper outer. In RockAuto I guess the right outer upper is the steering arm to steering arm and the left outer is the steering arm to pitman arm?

Moog or AcDelco?

I prefer Moog. Anyway, when I have a problem with one tie rod, I replace all of them.

Moog or AcDelco?

how did you find them? exposed during the bearing check? works for that too.

I brought my Jeep in to get the ghetto looking (duct tape) window fixed (window regulator). I asked them to check suspension as it was handling poorly. The two worn tie rod ends were loose just moving them by hand.

I ordered all 4 Moog brand from RA. If two are loose then they are wearing out. If one was loose then maybe something odd with that particular one.

Where will the Moog ones be made? The AcDelco window regulator was made in Taiwan. Is AcDelco a subsidiary of GM or parts manufacturer?

I brought my Jeep in to get the ghetto looking (duct tape) window fixed (window regulator). I asked them to check suspension as it was handling poorly. The two worn tie rod ends were loose just moving them by hand.

I ordered all 4 Moog brand from RA. If two are loose then they are wearing out. If one was loose then maybe something odd with that particular one.

Where will the Moog ones be made? The AcDelco window regulator was made in Taiwan. Is AcDelco a subsidiary of GM or parts manufacturer?

My guess is parts manufacturer. Growing up I always associated them with GM, but have seen parts on other vehicles branded AC Delco. According to this they simply make parts.
http://www.acdelco.com/about/

Wiki on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Delco

Quote:
General Motors - United Motors Service
United Motors was originally independent of General Motors, selling to all manufacturers until 1918, when the company was acquired by General Motors for $45 million (three quarters debentures and one quarter common shares)[3] and integrated into GM on December 31, 1918.[3]
United Motors became United Motors Service and continued to operate essentially as it had before. However, all of its production was now devoted to GM's brands. Alfred P. Sloan continued as the division manager, which carried with it a GM vice-president title and a position on the GM board. In 1923 he became President of General Motors and was Chairman when he retired in 1956.[4] Charles Kettering, co-founder of Delco, was head of research at General Motors for 27 years. Herbert C. Harrison was President of Harrison Radiator until his death in 1927.[5] William C. Durant lost control of GM for the final time in 1920.
United Motors Service would become a fully integrated division of General Motors in 1944.[6]
[edit]United Delco
In 1971, the division’s name was changed to United Delco. With the Delco name becoming more well-know with consumers, the “Delco” name was incorporated into all of the divisions branches (Delco Remy, Delco Harrison, Delco Packard (Packard Electric), Delco Moraine).[7]

Then:

Quote:

AC-Delco
In 1974, in an effort to streamline its operations and marketing, General Motors merged the AC Spark Plug with United Delco, which for years had been selling to the same customers, to create the new AC-Delco.[7][6]
[edit]ACDelco
By the mid 1990's there were further changes to the division. In 1994, Delco-Remy, part of the division since 1916, was spun off to private investors and is now known as Remy International, Inc. Also in 1994, GM created Automotive Components Group to run Delco Electronics. ACG was later renamed Delphi and spun off from GM in 1999. 1995 saw a rebranding of AC-Delco. The hyphen was dropped and ACDelco received a new logo and marketing initiative.

So it would look like it is indeed a part of GM.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Wiki on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Delco

Quote:
General Motors - United Motors Service
United Motors was originally independent of General Motors, selling to all manufacturers until 1918, when the company was acquired by General Motors for $45 million (three quarters debentures and one quarter common shares)[3] and integrated into GM on December 31, 1918.[3]
United Motors became United Motors Service and continued to operate essentially as it had before. However, all of its production was now devoted to GM's brands. Alfred P. Sloan continued as the division manager, which carried with it a GM vice-president title and a position on the GM board. In 1923 he became President of General Motors and was Chairman when he retired in 1956.[4] Charles Kettering, co-founder of Delco, was head of research at General Motors for 27 years. Herbert C. Harrison was President of Harrison Radiator until his death in 1927.[5] William C. Durant lost control of GM for the final time in 1920.
United Motors Service would become a fully integrated division of General Motors in 1944.[6]
[edit]United Delco
In 1971, the division’s name was changed to United Delco. With the Delco name becoming more well-know with consumers, the “Delco” name was incorporated into all of the divisions branches (Delco Remy, Delco Harrison, Delco Packard (Packard Electric), Delco Moraine).[7]

Then:

Quote:

AC-Delco
In 1974, in an effort to streamline its operations and marketing, General Motors merged the AC Spark Plug with United Delco, which for years had been selling to the same customers, to create the new AC-Delco.[7][6]
[edit]ACDelco
By the mid 1990's there were further changes to the division. In 1994, Delco-Remy, part of the division since 1916, was spun off to private investors and is now known as Remy International, Inc. Also in 1994, GM created Automotive Components Group to run Delco Electronics. ACG was later renamed Delphi and spun off from GM in 1999. 1995 saw a rebranding of AC-Delco. The hyphen was dropped and ACDelco received a new logo and marketing initiative.

So it would look like it is indeed a part of GM.

Thanks for the explanation. It does seem odd that I can get parts made by a GM company for my Jeep. But hey if you can't sell more cars, sell more parts. But I choose Moog.

So, vehicle is fixed. Two hours labor (all 4 tie-rod ends)& alignment charge. A lot of the threads were seized when doing the tie-rods. Steering feels MUCH better. Hopefully the last tie-rods for this 2001 Jeep.

Donald,

I realize that with 112K miles, the '01 GC isn't going to be like new but, is the issue only better now than it was before or, is it fixed to your complete satisfaction ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back